Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Missing and most wanted features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the MX and I think Tesla have created a remarkable vehicle. I've been so delighted that I bought a second Model X!

However having owned and driven our MX for nearly a month, I have noticed a number of missing features, some of which can be found in other, less expensive cars and SUVs. I'm curious to hear what other MX owners think:

Hand holds above the doors (not sure what the proper term is) - given the huge acceleration I'm surprised the designers left out these very useful handles which are also handy (pun intended) for holding up dry cleaning as well!

Driver's heads-up display including GPS - surprised this is missing on such a high-end, technologically advanced car

Fully adjustable headrests and a way to drop the 2nd row headrests to improve visibility thru rear view mirror

Video monitor instead of rear view mirror- coming on the Chevvy Bolt

Blind spot indicators on side mirrors - I had these on my Porsche Cayenne S and I really miss them

Larger glovebox

Better voice control including ability to change car settings using voice alone (functionality like Apple Siri and Amazon Echo)

Programmable buttons shortcuts to common on functions that are often buried in the touch screen menu...

Driver profiles linked to fob

Better right driver armrest built into the door - the position is really odd...

Better integration of towing hitch and ability to seal the space around it after installation

Smart phone charging is not a seamless as I had hoped. Elon suggested that Holstering would be easy and could be done blindly. I haven't found this to be the situation. Moreover the system does not work with my iPhone case...

I love the blind spot indicators on the cayenne aswell. I don't have the X yet but ... If autopilot lane change knows when it's ok to change a lane or not, isn't there an alarm when you try to change lanes manually and you shouldnt ? Sounds like an easy software fix if not.

I love the blind spot indicators on the cayenne aswell. I don't have the X yet but ... If autopilot lane change knows when it's ok to change a lane or not, isn't there an alarm when you try to change lanes manually and you shouldnt ? Sounds like an easy software fix if not.

There are blind spot indicators in Teslas, but they're on the dash, not on the wing mirrors, which is a little less intuitive.

From your list I would pick:

Number One, Driver profiles linked to the key fob.

A retractable headrest on the second row middle seat. We have a six seat my daughter has a seven seat. Her only comment so far was it would be nice if the center headrest retracted into the seat when the seat was unoccupied. The rest of the seats are not a problem. The drivers seat headrests auto adjust based on your leg length. A pretty novel solution to always have them at the proper safety height no matter who sits in the seat.

There is no cover for the tow hitch because you also access the two safety chain attach points and the trailer light connector thru that opening. So if you have the tow package and actually tow, two chains and a wiring connector are also accessed thru that opening. Maybe for bike rack or cargo boxes a cover with a hitch hole would be useful.

The rest are not that important to me. I thought I would miss heads up but find it not really needed. In auto drive everything holds settings and you have plenty of time to glance down if you need to see something.

As far as short cuts, have you programmed your scroll wheels for the functions you want. I haven't run into anything else I need that I can't operate with the scroll wheels and steering wheel buttons.

I have never had much luck on any car models getting a drop in charger that actually worked. On the X I used the wide side guides and my 6s in a Tesla leather wallet case fits perfectly. Larger cases would be a problem.

I have noticed a number of missing features, some of which can be found in other, less expensive cars and SUVs. I'm curious to hear what other MX owners think:

In addition to (or expanding upon) yours:

- Built-in 360-degree dash cam, like in the Cadillac CT6 and XT5

- 360-degree top-down view parking cameras, like in all Infinitis and Nissans, not to mention BMW, Mercedes, etc.

- Hooks on which to hang dry cleaning

- Headrests independently adjustable from other settings (both up/down and forward/back like in the Cadillac ELR)

- Pedestrian alert system + night vision, like in Mercedes' cars

- Seat vibrate for blind spot warning, lane departure warning, forward collision alert, and rear cross-traffic alert

- Oh, rear cross-traffic alert!

- front cross-traffic cameras, like in the Toyota Corolla Verso T Spirit

- Ability to switch the navigation map to the right side of the instrument panel

- iPhone holster that works with a case, and prevents the phone from flying across the compartment when accelerating quickly in Insane or Ludicrous mode.

- electrochromic glass windows with adjustable tint settings for the driver and front passenger (including the windshield)

I love the 360 camera down view with our 2016 Leaf. I've gotten good at backing into superchargers with the rear camera, but I like being able to see the white lines, and especially the curb when parallel parking.

Most common complaint on our road trip in X was lack of arm rests on the middle seats in our six seaters. They loved the seats, but didn't have anywhere to put inboard arms.

Heated steering wheel setting should stick. I use it every morning. The heated front seats remember last setting, but not the steering wheel.

The view out the back window feels MUCH darker than a normal mirror would make it, almost as if the mirror is partly darkened for night vision during the day as well. I practically never use the rear view mirror any more. Just the backup camera and side mirrors.

The radio display needs UI improvement. It takes many swipes to get from an FM preset station to the XM preset view, although it's possible to use the favorites shortcuts.

Yes. There is. It's lane assist. Shakes the steering wheel and beeps if you depart your lane without signaling.

Oops. You mean if there's a car in your blind spot. I use Click & Clack's method for positioning the side mirrors so I don't have a blind spot for lane changes, especially with the rear view camera on all the time (though I hear some people have a motion sickness problem with that view)

as far as things I want:

Ability to fold the middle or have the outer two seats 'spoon' the front two seats to get them completely out of the way.

Ability to manually control my headrest

Front console armrests a little bit further forward. I'm 6' tall and with the seat positioned comfortably for me to drive and the armrests slid to expose the cup holder the arm rest is too far back to be useful.

Ability to disable the interlink between middle seats and front seats or at least have the front seats NOT move back past their set point when using the shoulder buttons to move the middle seats forward and back.

Ability to browse my phone's music library from the display.

Ability to use the display as an AirPlay target

Yes. There is. It's lane assist. Shakes the steering wheel and beeps if you depart your lane without signaling.

Oops. You mean if there's a car in your blind spot. I use Click & Clack's method for positioning the side mirrors so I don't have a blind spot for lane changes, especially with the rear view camera on all the time (though I hear some people have a motion sickness problem with that view)

Yes if theres a car on the blind spot. It would come handy if the car did the same steering shake to warn you not to change lanes.

Since no one else is willing to say the obvious most belabored missing feature, I will:
folding middle seats.

While were at it: a middle second row seat that can be converted into cup holder area or removed completely.

You can't effectively have the driver settings attached to the fob because you will confuse the car when multiple fobs are present, such as when both you and your spouse are in the car and you both have fobs.

Very adjustable headrests would be really nice.

Waze integrated with the nav system.
It is. Directions, traffic, time estimates and re-routing all driven by Waze. The Tesla nav adds elevation change and supercharger location info to estimate Battery SOC info and appropriately add superchargers to the route.

I was surprised when my DS told me, but I had confirmation yesterday when a destination I added to Waze and unnamed dirt roads I added to Waze were available in the nav to route me to that destination.

You can't effectively have the driver settings attached to the fob because you will confuse the car when multiple fobs are present, such as when both you and your spouse are in the car and you both have fobs.

Very adjustable headrests would be really nice.
Fob-linked settings have been done in less sophisticated cars. It can tell which fob is at the driver's door and in the driver's seat.

In addition to (or expanding upon) yours:

- Built-in 360-degree dash cam, like in the Cadillac CT6 and XT5

- 360-degree top-down view parking cameras, like in all Infinitis and Nissans, not to mention BMW, Mercedes, etc.

- Hooks on which to hang dry cleaning

- Headrests independently adjustable from other settings (both up/down and forward/back like in the Cadillac ELR)

- Pedestrian alert system + night vision, like in Mercedes' cars

- Seat vibrate for blind spot warning, lane departure warning, forward collision alert, and rear cross-traffic alert

- Oh, rear cross-traffic alert!

- front cross-traffic cameras, like in the Toyota Corolla Verso T Spirit

- Ability to switch the navigation map to the right side of the instrument panel

- iPhone holster that works with a case, and prevents the phone from flying across the compartment when accelerating quickly in Insane or Ludicrous mode.

- electrochromic glass windows with adjustable tint settings for the driver and front passenger (including the windshield)
Excellent ideas!