Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Missing and most wanted features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is. Directions, traffic, time estimates and re-routing all driven by Waze. The Tesla nav adds elevation change and supercharger location info to estimate Battery SOC info and appropriately add superchargers to the route.

I was surprised when my DS told me, but I had confirmation yesterday when a destination I added to Waze and unnamed dirt roads I added to Waze were available in the nav to route me to that destination.

That's fantastic! Thanks!

From your list I would pick:

The drivers seat headrests auto adjust based on your leg length. A pretty novel solution to always have them at the proper safety height no matter who sits in the seat.

This makes me worried. I'm 5'10", but have a rather long spine (and relatively short legs). When I sit next to someone who is 6'4", we appear to be of the same height. Is there no way to manually override the height of the headrests? Will this be a safety issue for me?

Seems quite illogical to position the headrest based on the leg length, the smart thing would be to position it based on head position... o_O

It's entirely possible that Tesla will allow manual headrest control in a future software update. There are a lot of unfinished features still to implement (e.g. cargo mode).

The biggest feature I would like (after the obvious 2nd row folding seats) is the gentex hybrid rear view mirror/screen tied to a higher 2nd rear-view camera, similar the shark fin in the following photo.
g9Kikyp.jpg

Reactions: ohmman
blind spot monitoring is useless in the Model X/S, many times there is a car in the blind spot and it doesn't show in the dash...

would be nice to release the SDK for apps in the Tesla, it's been years with no 'apps', a lot could be done with 3rd party developers working on apps...

• Love
Reactions: RobStark
You can't effectively have the driver settings attached to the fob because you will confuse the car when multiple fobs are present, such as when both you and your spouse are in the car and you both have fobs.

Very adjustable headrests would be really nice.

Our 2010 BMW had no problems knowing which FOB was on the driver side. The only time it got confused was when one of us got in the passenger side before the driver was near the car.

blind spot monitoring is useless in the Model X/S, many times there is a car in the blind spot and it doesn't show in the dash...

would be nice to release the SDK for apps in the Tesla, it's been years with no 'apps', a lot could be done with 3rd party developers working on apps...
Sadly I have to agree with you. My sensors also don't always see other cars. Also I noticed that the Model S has 3 sensor zones on each side of the car whereas the Model X only has 2.

Which may work if you're male and have your fob in your pocket, but if you keep your fob in your purse, it may not be in the driver's seat with you.

Last I checked, women carried their purse all the way up to the car door, which fob caused the driver's door to open should be more than enough "hint" as to which driver is driving!

At the very least, it should be an option in the software that can be turned on or off, if it works for a couple, great. If not, turn it off and go back to the current state!

I've got no skin in this game at the moment, since my wife doesn't see well enough to drive, until we have a 100% autonomous vehicle that doesn't require a licensed driver she'll never be in the left front seat of a US car. But if I ever get to letting my 25 year old daughter drive Merlin on a regular basis, then we would need the feature.

Last I checked, women carried their purse all the way up to the car door, which fob caused the driver's door to open should be more than enough "hint" as to which driver is driving!

At the very least, it should be an option in the software that can be turned on or off, if it works for a couple, great. If not, turn it off and go back to the current state!

I've got no skin in this game at the moment, since my wife doesn't see well enough to drive, until we have a 100% autonomous vehicle that doesn't require a licensed driver she'll never be in the left front seat of a US car. But if I ever get to letting my 25 year old daughter drive Merlin on a regular basis, then we would need the feature.

When I get into my car, I usually put my bag (with my key in it) on the front passenger seat, then put my daughter in her car seat on the passenger side (2nd row), then I walk around to the driver's side and let myself in. If I'm traveling with another adult who will be sitting in the passenger seat, I put my bag and key in the second row in front of the car seat.

Point is, I rarely take my key with me when I enter the driver's side door. I don't know if that would mess things up if you had fob-specific profiles. I'm the person driving the car 99% of the time, so it probably wouldn't matter for me, but you can't assume that someone will "usually" have their fob with them when entering the driver's side door.

When I get into my car, I usually put my bag (with my key in it) on the front passenger seat, then put my daughter in her car seat on the passenger side (2nd row), then I walk around to the driver's side and let myself in. If I'm traveling with another adult who will be sitting in the passenger seat, I put my bag and key in the second row in front of the car seat.

Point is, I rarely take my key with me when I enter the driver's side door. I don't know if that would mess things up if you had fob-specific profiles. I'm the person driving the car 99% of the time, so it probably wouldn't matter for me, but you can't assume that someone will "usually" have their fob with them when entering the driver's side door.

Funny the habits we fall into. Do you do that in public places? It's a good way to get your purse stolen!

Back in the day no one would have done that because it could easily cause a lockout. Now, of course we can unlock the car from our phones or if the phone is in the bag too, call Tesla and have them remote unlock.

But, as I said, if fob-driven driver profiles don't work for your use-case you could disable it just like if auto-opening doors don't work for you you can disable. I don't personally need fob profiles, but I think it's a shame it's not there and I can only conclude it's on their roadmap behind other things that were deemed more critical (like fixing the non-responsive touchscreen bug!)

Funny the habits we fall into. Do you do that in public places? It's a good way to get your purse stolen!

Back in the day no one would have done that because it could easily cause a lockout. Now, of course we can unlock the car from our phones or if the phone is in the bag too, call Tesla and have them remote unlock.

But, as I said, if fob-driven driver profiles don't work for your use-case you could disable it just like if auto-opening doors don't work for you you can disable. I don't personally need fob profiles, but I think it's a shame it's not there and I can only conclude it's on their roadmap behind other things that were deemed more critical (like fixing the non-responsive touchscreen bug!)

I do this all the time in my garage because of how our garage is laid out - I have to walk all the way around the back of the car to get to the driver's side since the front is blocked by our recycling containers. Plus it's easier to load my daughter into the car when I'm not carrying my bag. I probably do it in public too, but I live in a pretty chill party of suburbia - not a lot of purse-snatchings at my local Target!

Fob profiles would be nice I guess. But that seems like an archaic way of doing it. I have key / fob profiles on a few vehicles. With our Explorer, we can configure and set the profile in the vehicle and it knows which one is in the driver's seat -- or enters on the drivers' side. But it detects if multiple are in the car and if multiple are detected, it displays them on the screen in case we want to choose a different one than the one it thinks the driver has. I prefer just having the profiles available from the big screen in the car with the option of locking out certain profiles with a key code or other security feature.

I agree with pretty much everything else in the original post. I don't have my X yet, but with the little bit of time I spent with an X, I have to say the biggest missing features for me are: Video rear-view mirror, and HUD. Next up would be the ability to recline the second row seats. My kids both complained that the second row doesn't recline as they do in our other SUV's we've had. Sure, they tip a bit, but it's not the same. I personally don't need them to fold, it's so very rare that I ever fold 2nd row seats, but perhaps that's because I have other ways of hauling bigger things -- pickup truck. I do wish that a folding second row was an option. I'm not a fan of removable seats, they just tend to get in the way and it never fails that you're out somewhere and don't have a place to put the seat when you need it out of the way. Or you need the seat and it's across town in your garage. I see where and why people suggest them. I think a lot of people want the X to be a cargo van.

Blind spot warnings on the mirrors would be nice. My Fords have that...

Does the X use driver profile to choose which bluetooth device to connect to. I hate it when my Acura connects to the wrong phone while I have multiple passengers on the car.

They should have a weight sensor so the car automatically chooses driver by weight

Reactions: loganintx