Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X more an MPV than SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to resurrect the thread but I think the fact that there is new information about the 2nd row seats etc I thought it best to write the following here than hijack another thread.

If Elon had said the X was an MPV or People carrier then he has built the worlds best MPV or people carrier, its electric, the falcon wing doors will make access to 3rd row easy, 3rd row are adults seats, the trunk has space even with 2nd row seats up and has a frunk for golf bags and rear ventilation for passengers.

Its probably too late to change the name from an X to a P but the expectations from the public would be better if it were advertised as an MPV/people carrier instead of CUV/SUV.

At the moment the only ones that know about the X are mostly (not all) Tesla fans and investors. He should genuinely rebrand the X for the general public as an MPV.

Sorry to resurrect the thread but I think the fact that there is new information about the 2nd row seats etc I thought it best to write the following here than hijack another thread.

If Elon had said the X was an MPV or People carrier then he has built the worlds best MPV or people carrier, its electric, the falcon wing doors will make access to 3rd row easy, 3rd row are adults seats, the trunk has space even with 2nd row seats up and has a frunk for golf bags and rear ventilation for passengers.

Its probably too late to change the name from an X to a P but the expectations from the public would be better if it were advertised as an MPV/people carrier instead of CUV/SUV.

At the moment the only ones that know about the X are mostly (not all) Tesla fans and investors. He should genuinely rebrand the X for the general public as an MPV.

That may very well be the case and work great... but not in the US. We really don't use MPV as a class of vehicle here. Most folks use CUV and SUV interchangeably. The only familiarity most of us have is with the Mazda MPV so Tesla using that name is going to make people think it's a minivan. For totally illogical reasons, Americans have an extreme aversion (on average) to minivans. So, here at least, Tesla will stick with the CUV/SUV nomenclature even if it's not as accurate.

I definitely don't think of MPVs and mini-vans as being the same. The Ford C-MAX is an MPV (except it's called a "tall wagon" in the US), but is nothing remotely like a minivan (it's much smaller). Basically MPVs are even more like station wagons than CUVs.

I would hazard to guess that you're level of automotive knowledge is far greater than is typical. I would guess that the average american doesn't have any idea what an MPV is. We really don't have a vehicle class for MPVs here. Case in point, Ford lists the C-MAX as a "car" on their website.

MPV evokes a dark green Mazda minivan in my mind. If that's the collective association, it'd be crazy for tesla to even suggest vicinity to an MPV.

I asked my wife what came to mind when I said MPV and that's what she remembered. She's probably more representative of the general car buying public. It's interesting how one crummy minivan model has ruined one whole automotive segment in the minds of the American public.

I asked my wife what came to mind when I said MPV and that's what she remembered. She's probably more representative of the general car buying public. It's interesting how one crummy minivan model has ruined one whole automotive segment in the minds of the American public.
Actually, my mom had a stick shift 4 wheel drive Mazda MPV when I was in high school. That thing kicked butt. Real second row doors, booming sound system, V6 with crazy pickup. Years later I was longing for one, instead of the crappy cars I drove. And I was a single guy, no kids.

Actually, my mom had a stick shift 4 wheel drive Mazda MPV when I was in high school. That thing kicked butt. Real second row doors, booming sound system, V6 with crazy pickup. Years later I was longing for one, instead of the crappy cars I drove. And I was a single guy, no kids.

Maybe they got better but this is the image that pops up in my mind:
mazda_mpv_all_sport_1996.jpg

What is Q7 called? Model X should be called the same. Whether it's based on a sedan platform or truck platform (an earlier commenter painstakingly made this distinction), is moot in my view. What the vehicle can do is the key. In this respect, Model X seems to be very similar to Q7 (except, of course, being a lot better)

What is Q7 called? Model X should be called the same. Whether it's based on a sedan platform or truck platform (an earlier commenter painstakingly made this distinction), is moot in my view. What the vehicle can do is the key. In this respect, Model X seems to be very similar to Q7 (except, of course, being a lot better)

Model X likely has worse ground clearance than Q7, does not have a flat large cargo area extending all the way to front like Q7, can not carry roof racks like Q7. Model X is likely better at carrying 7 people than Q7 and has a door that allows easier third row access instead of regular rear door.

Come to think of it. Maybe Model X really is better described as a minivan than an SUV, given that reality.

I owned the first generation Ford Explorere in 92'. It (with predecessor Bronco II) and Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Blazer first popularized the light SUV culture in the 80's in the US. Audi or any other European or Japanese car makers never had anything like that until decade(s) later. During the time SUV has envolved a lot. It incorporated many features of sedan/wagon/minivan but in the mean time also lost a few like off road capability (transfer case anyone?) which at that time was a must have for a "real" SUV. It has becoming a very broad category when everyone was trying to do things a little differently. Some went so far from the original SUV concept that people (uncessarily imo) coined the new name CUV. But what's in a name? Porsche can still call the 911 a 911 even it has very little similarity in design and ispirit with the "real" 911. People all know what they are getting no matter what you call it. Those who are so hung up on the name instead of ther real thing is just silly.

If you go to the Audi comparison pages for the SUV, crossover and wagon you can clearly see the Q7 is the SUV, the Q5 is the CUV and the allroad is the wagon IMHO

Compare Audi Models | Audi USA

Watch this that attempted to explained how MX design evolved. MX is aim towards female. Time will tell if Tesla is correct. I for one agrees with Tesla. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Given that so far the falcon wings have taken away roof rack and folding second row, I'm not sure about the Multi-Purpose Vehicle anymore.

Maybe we should call the Model X an UPV - Unidentified Purpose Vehicle? ;)
Unique Purpose Vehicle: Unique being the first vehicle with Falcon Wing Door people carrier.

Watch this that attempted to explained how MX design evolved. MX is aim towards female. Time will tell if Tesla is correct. I for one agrees with Tesla. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Unique Purpose Vehicle: Unique being the first vehicle with Falcon Wing Door people carrier.

Right. Put it in a category without any vehicles with falcom wing doors that open to easy access of 2nd and 3rd row seats, the major trait of the X, does not make sense if anyone wants to be strict. People should just stop making those silly arguments of what it is. It is a Tesla Model X.