Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X more an MPV than SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minivans offer similar access to back rows and baby seat attachment ease through sliding doors.

Model X seems most reminiscent of a minivan in the current practicality.
Yeah but the whole seatgate idea seems to make more sense now. The Model X seems to in many ways to be a minivan with easy access for 7 adults. Special doors to ease that access and sliding seats to make it very easy to enter and exit even the third row. So far so good and most would call that a minivan. Except the minivan is not a $100 000 vehicle and "noone" wants to be seen driving a minivan, especially males I suppose but that might not be that significant.
Now here comes the SUV styling. Raise the ground clearance, make those stylish falcon wing doors which surely are not minivan doors and add a towing package. Not a heavy duty towing package but like other luxuery SUVs like the Q7. Add crazy performance and you get a vehicle that the female wants for the minivan utility, but that gives off a sporty image and the man (or woman) wants due to the performance. Not that I necissarily believe all the stereotypes but they are used in marketing.
In the US this means many will keep their old beater SUV or pickup or buy a trailer. For Norway people usually don't have two cars but we have like a million trailers (actually looking at the data there are 1.2 million trailers and 2.5mill personal vehicles for a population of 5 mill.).

So the question is of course if they did hit this hybrid look/function with the X?

Cobos

Yeah but the whole seatgate idea seems to make more sense now. The Model X seems to in many ways to be a minivan with easy access for 7 adults. Special doors to ease that access and sliding seats to make it very easy to enter and exit even the third row. So far so good and most would call that a minivan. Except the minivan is not a $100 000 vehicle and "noone" wants to be seen driving a minivan, especially males I suppose but that might not be that significant.
Now here comes the SUV styling. Raise the ground clearance, make those stylish falcon wing doors which surely are not minivan doors and add a towing package. Not a heavy duty towing package but like other luxuery SUVs like the Q7. Add crazy performance and you get a vehicle that the female wants for the minivan utility, but that gives off a sporty image and the man (or woman) wants due to the performance. Not that I necissarily believe all the stereotypes but they are used in marketing.
In the US this means many will keep their old beater SUV or pickup or buy a trailer. For Norway people usually don't have two cars but we have like a million trailers (actually looking at the data there are 1.2 million trailers and 2.5mill personal vehicles for a population of 5 mill.).
So the question is of course if they did hit this hybrid look/function with the X?

Cobos

There was a time when people, including males, do want to be seen driving a minivan. Incidentally stationwagons were considered to be only driven by old folks on way to the grave during that time when minivan was the in thing in the US. But it really doesn't matter what it is called. It's just a Tesla Medel X before someone invents a new category for cars like it. Every male or female, young or old would want to be seen in a Tesla Model X (or Model S) for sure. People's tastes and perceptions change, I could never imagine I'd give up my Porsche for a supposedly wimpy 4dr sedan, and it's all in the substance not in the name.

BTW Elon did say "the unique doors make stepping in and out of the Model X easier than a minivan, even in the third-row". I guess he made the FWD instead of sliding doors just to distinguish it from a minivan. On the other hand a minivan, or a 3.2s super-minivan, even if you call it that way can not be all bad even for a male.

Last edited:
Minivans offer similar access to back rows and baby seat attachment ease through sliding doors.

Model X seems most reminiscent of a minivan in the current practicality.
The categorization does not bother me. Minivan or SUV or CUV, whatever. The X will be what the others will be compared to in the near future. It has the looks, it has some towing capacity (not to the liking of some), it has adequate storage volume for most (but not fold flat for long items for some). Yet the conversation in 2016 for many Minivan/SUV/CUV owners will be: do you have an "X" yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Every male or female, young or old would want to be seen in a Tesla Model X (or Model S) for sure. People's tastes and perceptions change, I could never imagine I'd give up my Porsche for a supposedly wimpy 4dr sedan, and it's all in the substance not in the name.

I too owned two Porsche at the same time. But Tesla BEV range, acceleration, and Supercharger convinced me to trade. Initial disappointment with the lack of tire pressure reading will be gone if the V7 leaked photos were to be believed. The only thing that MS cannot match Porsche (to my liking) is the road handling prowess. Porsche was my daily drive, which the MS handled well enough.