Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as this thread has veered so far off-center, you can't even see the fogline any more....

Jenny and I have been musing that because of my incessant tinkering and creating workarounds to get things done out here in the Back of Beyond, if we ever re-situate ourselves in civilization (and that word definitely should have quotation marks.... ;)), I ought to find a good engineering degree program to keep myself satisfied. Who'd like to suggest an engineering specialty for me?

As long as this thread has veered so far off-center, you can't even see the fogline any more....

Jenny and I have been musing that because of my incessant tinkering and creating workarounds to get things done out here in the Back of Beyond, if we ever re-situate ourselves in civilization (and that word definitely should have quotation marks.... ;)), I ought to find a good engineering degree program to keep myself satisfied. Who'd like to suggest an engineering specialty for me?
1. Stock price Engineer
2. Way-the-hell-out-here/how-do-I-survive- Engineer
3. Life Engineer
4. What does Jenny need? Engineer (we could all use that for - Gump, "My Jenny")
5. TMC Moderator Engineer
6. Stop 1 month TMC newbies from posturing and preaching Engineer
7. Northern Lights Engineer
8. How to see Russia from here Engineer
9. McGyver Engineer

Here's to your 2nd (ish) career....please let me know if you need an agent or talent manager to negotiate salary. I work cheap so you can charge more.

As a "real" engineer, the one that always annoyed me was "sanitation engineer." I suppose that could apply, if one were designing garbage loading or compaction systems for the trucks. But no, that was the guy picking up the garbage. :(
Walter

Okay, then show us the photos! [emoji3]
Your photo appeared to show an X at the rear of the building. Yesterday I drove slowly through that same area, and there was no X.
Of course I am not assuming that it would always be there.

A bit of patience my friend ... :cool:
I am away for the week in Monterrey for the car show, but will return next week to take more photos.

1. Stock price Engineer
2. Way-the-hell-out-here/how-do-I-survive- Engineer
3. Life Engineer
4. What does Jenny need? Engineer (we could all use that for - Gump, "My Jenny")
5. TMC Moderator Engineer
6. Stop 1 month TMC newbies from posturing and preaching Engineer
7. Northern Lights Engineer
8. How to see Russia from here Engineer
9. McGyver Engineer

Great fun. I already have PhDs in all the above, so I guess I'm going to have to become a no-paid Research Assistant? Isn't that the fate of PhDs? Can you negotiate salary for RAs?

Bonnie: Human factors. How people interact with technology is a fascinating field.
This is, absolutely seriously, absolutely fascinating. As follows:

We just hosted for the past five days a gentleman who possesses a BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MS in Electrical Engineering. He has, with that, spent the last 37 years building automobiles at a firm whose name looks similar to Germinal Rotors. I asked him point blank what he would study if he had to advance his career, and he answered straightaway "Psychology. Need to learn more about how employees interact with technology."

Have you a listening bug in our lounge, Bonnie?

This is, absolutely seriously, absolutely fascinating. As follows:

We just hosted for the past five days a gentleman who possesses a BS in Mechanical Engineering and an MS in Electrical Engineering. He has, with that, spent the last 37 years building automobiles at a firm whose name looks similar to Germinal Rotors. I asked him point blank what he would study if he had to advance his career, and he answered straightaway "Psychology. Need to learn more about how employees interact with technology."

Have you a listening bug in our lounge, Bonnie?

A good design is intuitive to the user. One of the stories I'd tell new staff, regarding the importance of getting human factors was as follows: When my son was little, instead of putting his dirty clothes in the hamper, he'd throw them in the corner of his room. I'd tell him he needed to put them in the hamper - he'd try, but inevitably, they'd pie up in the corner of his room again. I tried all sorts of incentives ... cool basketball hoop hamper, bribes, even 'not gonna wash any clothes not in the hamper'. And he really tried for a day or two to do the right thing, but, yep, the clothes would eventually in the floor in the corner.

Then one day I moved his hamper to the corner of the room. I probably don't need to tell you there was never a problem again.

A good design puts the hamper in the right spot. It doesn't rely on manuals or training. It fits into the flow of what the user believes should happen.

(If you ever want to talk about it at length, this is a favorite area of mine. Along with sorting and searching algorithms. And yes, I know, those topics don't all go together.)

I was so tired of all the boring sightings of the same old black, noseless X mules that this engineer discussion is a welcome relief :) And, current mods (Audie) and former mods (Bonnie) are to "blame" too (hey, I used quotes!)

Sanitation engineering reminded me of this:

Who, What, Why: Why are US train drivers called engineers? - BBC News

As for the women engineers at Tesla, it's just awesome to see. My wife - a kick-ass software engineer herself - has run into some of the Tesla engineers at Bay Area Girl Geek Dinners and Women in Tech meetups; they think the world of their company although they apparently have to make do with antiquated laptops and such...

I was so tired of all the boring sightings of the same old black, noseless X mules that this engineer discussion is a welcome relief :) And, current mods (Audie) and former mods (Bonnie) are to "blame" too (hey, I used quotes!)

Sanitation engineering reminded me of this:

Who, What, Why: Why are US train drivers called engineers? - BBC News

As for the women engineers at Tesla, it's just awesome to see. My wife - a kick-ass software engineer herself - has run into some of the Tesla engineers at Bay Area Girl Geek Dinners and Women in Tech meetups; they think the world of their company although they apparently have to make do with antiquated laptops and such...

And I always thought it was engine-ers. As in Bikers, Truckers, etc. The "driver", in steam train days, was that long piston rod from the steam cylinder that connected to the driving wheel, also known as a driver. Calling the engine operator a driver made no sense. All he did was watch the steam pressure. So maybe that was a steamer. No, that was a ship.

What the hey.

For why is it "mountaineer?"

It has deteriorated, we need some new info to get it back on track. Maybe a production vehicle to look at, design studio or even some Ben and Jerrys New York super fudge chunk to enjoy with new/old Model X mule pictures.
No new sightings. no new info on the missing nose cone. No more green stickers to analyze. No more hashing out whether the tires are 225 whatevers. But the New York super fudge chunk...That we can talk about!