TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Mule Sightings

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Paul Carter, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 1208

1208 Active Member

Are such tiny rear lights legal in Europe? Especially the UK? I'm not sure, tesla may have to change them before the X becomes road legal in the EU.

EDIT: I think the lights are cool nevertheless.

2. Newb

Newb Member

no reinvention of course - just noticed that the grey coupled with those wheels just looks gorgeous on that big X!

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking about this, too... but could those be just "daylight tail lights"?

3. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

Nice!

I seriously like the look of the front!

Attached Files:

• tmx.jpg
      tmx.jpg
      File size:
      132.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Matias

Matias Active Member

Many cars don't have any rear lights at all with daytime lights.

5. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

And suddenly every other SUV looks 15 years old. Looks fantastic, seemed to have gotten sleeker and longer since original prototype.

6. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

#2326 AnxietyRanger, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Great sighting and good photos, mulder1231.

Some notes:

- First, other than new style of camo, there are no surprises visible on this mule. What can be seen, is the same as on the other final-looking mules in (late) spring 2015. The camoed bumpers could of course easily be stuff that is more final than it has been on previous mules, we don't know with the camo (and I guess that is the point).

- The front and rear lights are still camoed with black tape, so we see only little part, as seems to be the front window hiding the crossbarless front. They won't really be that small in reality, they are just camoed with black tape. What we see of the front could be LED headlights, but it could also not be.

- Falcon wings don't seem to close just quite right yet, could there be still some protective wrapping inside preventing that - or it could be indicative or work in progress. I guess some would say it is indicative of Frankenstein parts, which is possible, but I think unlikely by now (unless the deliberate decoy/fake angle turns out to be true and the profile of the final car turns out to be different).

- The white wrapped spoiler area and bumpers suggest these are the ones being hidden for the reveal. Rest could be final, considering the production-looking paint.

- Covering the front blinker - could they be hiding a Founders text under there? Could this be a Founders test run of some sort?

- There seem to even be center caps on the wheels?

- The shot from the front suggests there is no vent above the nosecone area. I'm still wondering if the end-result might look something like this concept:

attachment.php?attachmentid=90612&d=1439654698.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The windows have gotten bigger, for example: How different are the 2015 Model X mules vs. 2012-2013 prototype(s))

7. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

#2327 mulder1231, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    I think there still is tape on the lights, if you look closely.

image.jpg

And, they are certainly not daylight running lights, as was suggested earlier. They only came on when the car was slowing/breaking.

8. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Driving behind this car in stop and go traffic, I had some good time absorbing the looks. The main thing that stood out for me was, wow, this car is huge! Just compare the size to the BMW next to it in this picture... But the proportions are still very nice.

image.jpg

9. AnxietyRanger

Thank you for sharing mulder1231. I agree the lights still have tape on the like previous mules.

But rest is indeed more final-looking than anything before it, with the final-looking paint and choice-areas covered. I would say the likelihood of this being a fake or non-final design are fairly low by now. If it is, Tesla indeed has gone into massive lengths to deceive us - not impossible, but likelihood seems decreasing.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

Oh can't wait for the wraps to be removed. Looks really good!!
    Is that a founders series car maybe?

One thought I had when I saw the break light were that it may increase in size depending how hard the breaking action is. Light break one bar. Extreme breaking every bar possible

11. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

I would expect the Founders cars to have bigger wheels, but the car is so big it's hard to get a sense of scale. They could be 21s for all I know.

12. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

More likely one of the (assembly line) validation cars they started producing 2 weeks ago. Indeed, the whole thing just looks more "together" than anything we`ve seen so far - except for the hand built prototype(s).

13. AnxietyRanger

Sounds plausible.

I wonder if the covered side blinker isn't hiding a Founders logo, could it be hiding a new design of the side blinker - earlier mules having merely used the (current) Model S part?

14. Fanatic

Fanatic Member

It is time to open the design studio Elon!!! (what about on Friday after stock market closes?).. The car looks great of what we can see. And you can always add, improve and change stuff as production goes on (as you have done on the S).

I know your in here reading this:p

15. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Lol. At some point the line will be dangerously blurred between us and Justin Bieber's Twitter account.

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Regen lights.

(Just a WAG)

17. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Yeah, this X is straight off the production line. Looks totally final now. The white tape is a feeble attempt at hiding what's left to reveal and black tape still covering the headlights is just trying to not give away the new LED headlights.

This is the final form folks, get used to it. Now the real fun begins: when we see the final interior!!

18. AnxietyRanger

It certainly is looking good for JST.

FWIW, a couple of more notes:

The rear T logo can be seen through the camo, probably signifying even further that this unit is more final-looking than previous mules.

On the front we can see how the black wrap on the roof is lopsided, further confirmation that it indeed is just wrap and underneath we assume a crossbeamless panoramic windshield continues until the falcon wings. It also seems this one has full(er) trim on the nose, behind the white camo wrap, than previous mules that clearly have missed trim there.

What is intriguing, but not shown here of course, is that if this indeed is more of a release candidate than the previous mules, is the final interior there? Could be. The dash on the side image looks like it has some kind of protrusion on the passenger side. Presence of a rear-view mirror is inconclusive, as is presence of stereo frontal cameras - could go either way. I can not make out any side cameras, not at this resolution anyway, but maybe they aren't there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90833&d=1439871361.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=90836&d=1439873435.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=90834&d=1439871386.jpg

19. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

I definitely see a rear view mirror. Can't tell if there's a camera though.

20. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

Interesting how the rear view shows the falcon doors slightly open