TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Mule Sightings

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Paul Carter, Jan 29, 2015.

1. simplejack

simplejack Member

I wonder why they keep creating all of these non-production mules?

2. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Hey! I resent that! ;) I've made a funny post once before: Theory: Model X has A pillars (see-through video)?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now that more of these new breed mules seem to roaming the streets, that kind of lessens the likelihood people spotted Elon driving... but hey, he has said himself he drives the mules at times, so you never know. :) Elvis is always plausible, too, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they are testing a Euro version? You know, to be delivered by December... ;) ;) Most European cars use orange turn signals.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it is pretty obvious by now that we are seeing multiple production-painted looking Model X mules with only front and rear bumpers and lights and interior camoed lightly, that finalizing the product is near. The likelihood of these being Release Candidate 2 vehicles, perhaps built after the recent factory shutdown, seems high.

In fact, the mule has changed very little since February and even these latest ones, aside from proper paint and LED lights being visible, haven't changed since then. They probably sport final interior, unlike earlier mules, though - just a guess.

3. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I particularly liked how they timed the music (clapping beat) to the turn signal. It was very artistic, but they had to slow down the video significantly to do it. It makes analyzing the vehicle a little harder.

4. Matias

Matias Active Member

I have heard from reliable sources that Elvis will be driving special very exclusive tailfin-edition.

5. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

That is the same intersection ( I think ) where several spy photos/videos have been taken. Any TMC member that lives in the area want to take a cooler out there and just wait with a high resolution camera/video recorder?:biggrin:

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Good work AnxietyRanger! One more joke and you'll have yourself a stand-up routine. :wink: You need to start to think of how you're going to spend your time after the Model-X reveal!

7. AnxietyRanger

Does the Model S turn signal in front look regular, by the way? It seems quite bright, I wonder if that could also be a mule testing facelift rear lights? Probably not. The video quality is just too poor to judge, so I thought I'd just mention it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, once we have checked S and X, we all need to start working on E, I mean, three... right? Isn't pixel-peeking automotive analysis a natural aphrodisiac anyway?

8. WestCoastP85D

WestCoastP85D Member

Ok... IMO, these cars are not "mules", but production units with minimal cammo -- so, can anyone grab better photos of the lights? Interior? Someone just peel that plastic off and take a photo....please!!!!! ;-)

9. 1208

1208 Active Member

The number of naïve people on here worries me, it really does.:rolleyes:

Within the past 24hrs we have seen at least 4 different coloured X's with partial white wrap/cover on them.

Its pretty obvious what it means.

They are the founders cars, and the owners collected them from the Tesla factory but they were so excited that they couldn't be bothered to rip the protective white wrap off them properly nor change the number plates.

10. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Perhaps destined for sc to have on hand at reveal

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

These sitings are not mules, they are production vehicles with camo front and rear. The gray and blue are new to the Model X and when I was charging in Truckee last week an engineer was also pluged in and I ask him if the rumor we heard about some production vehicles coming off line were true he laughed and said I cannot tell you but your pretty close.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#2372 ecarfan, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    The steering wheel appears to be on the left side of the car. Or is that image reversed?
    Maybe that X is a left hand drive car intended for British delivery. If so that could indicate that, unlike the S, the X will be launched with both right and left hand drive versions available.

13. Yuri_G

Yuri_G Member

The silence is deafening. There's always time to swap panels, right??

Even with the same panels as the mules, these new cars look great. Seems like the wait is almost over...

14. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

I thought the same thing. I think its just the mirror playing tricks as he took that shot from drivers seat. Every other car on the road appears to be right hand drive as well.

15. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

The only photo of the front of the vehicle is the view in the side-view mirror of the car taking the picture, so it is reversed.

16. AnxietyRanger

The likelihood of these being Release Candidate, even Release Candidate 2 if Eds is to be believed, with minimal camo is very high (some white wrap on the extremes and black wrap/tape on lights and roof window) - I agree.

Other mules may be a mixture of Betas and Release Candidate 1's with removed/missing trim.

I'm leaning on this theory, but as always keeping an open mind for any clues to the contrary. So far I'm not seeing those clues, though.

- - - Updated - - -

What is most striking to me is that the mules etc. are very close to what we saw in the November 2014 e-mail post card. We had a debate about the relevance of that back then - and today it seems most relevant.

It would seem likely now Tesla locked the general design a long ago and have been, indeed, displaying it in plain sight (minus hidden interior and nose). I guess theoretically an alternative is still possible, but it does seem unlikely.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#2377 NigelM, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    I never claimed those camouflaged mules testing a variety of things were "decoys" (and I don't recall Bonnie ever saying that either*), that's your word. There was plenty of discussion about not jumping to conclusions based on what we all agreed were/are test mules.

*Cue tiresome conspiracy accusations that Bonnie and I agree too often...

- - - Updated - - -

On the one hand you have folks saying these are production cars, on the other folks saying that the doors still don't fit.

Both plausible, I'm keeping an open mind also. :)

18. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Once again: We learned during the last ER/CC that:
    1, they just started producing cars on the new line to validate the tools
    2, they were just about to finish the new paint shop and were going to paint said test cars in that very soon to validate that as well

In my book 1+1=2, but if anyone wants to believe these are Founders cars taken out for a joyride by staff, feel free.

19. simplejack

simplejack Member

While I agree with you, EM said we wouldn't see the final version until it was "revealed". Many on here take that to mean there is no way possible we could see anything before EM allows us to. Thus, these are still mules.

20. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

They're going to have no end of problems with those opposing silver door handles. Even the slightest sub-millimeter difference in height is going to catch the eye and be perceived as "mis-alignment". Might be better off making them body-color.