Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow... What happened to the rear spoiler?

It may still be there--note the absence of a third brake light elsewhere.

At the same time, this car seems to have a more pronounced ducktail spoiler than we've seen on the final ones in the configurator.

Early on we saw some mules with a bit of a bustle back; when I saw the spoiler I assumed those had been fake covers designed to obscure the spoiler. But I suppose it's possible that on some models the spoiler is fixed rather than moveable? We still haven't seen any final pics of the 70 (or even any confirmation that there *is* a 70), so that might be it.

Or this might just be a spoiler like you can get on the S, and you can't make out the active spoiler.

Compare, especially above the rear side marker light:

5150abd6eb2f4d88df0fb75372d1a3dc.jpg

Edit: actually the more I look at it, the more I think that the more pronounced ducktail on the blue one is just a trick of light and perspective.

9e25191dceab685674b649ab569e8ccf.jpg

It may still be there--note the absence of a third brake light elsewhere.

At the same time, this car seems to have a more pronounced ducktail spoiler than we've seen on the final ones in the configurator.

Early on we saw some mules with a bit of a bustle back; when I saw the spoiler I assumed those had been fake covers designed to obscure the spoiler. But I suppose it's possible that on some models the spoiler is fixed rather than moveable? We still haven't seen any final pics of the 70 (or even any confirmation that there *is* a 70), so that might be it.

Or this might just be a spoiler like you can get on the S, and you can't make out the active spoiler.

While there have been some subtle differences in some mule features, front bumper cross bar, nosecone and mentioned spoiler covers being one, I'm not sure if the spoiler lip differences in this blue mule aren't merely different camera optics bending, expanding the image a little unconventionally.

To me it looks like the closed spoiler is there just as normal. We used to see many mules with closed spoilers.

From Bay Area Car Spotters. The comments from that Facebook group are not kind to the X's aesthetics...

View attachment 93332
View attachment 93333
View attachment 93334
View attachment 93335
View attachment 93336
View attachment 93337
View attachment 93338

Anxious to see the real thing. First-generation hybrids (Prius, Insight, ...) were apparently catering to a particular type of consumer : "I so badly want to be ecologically correct, that I suffer to drive the ugliest car on earth". So the brands made a particular effort in making those cars look like there should be absolutely no joy in the design of a car. In introducing the model S, Tesla did three things: (i) give EV's a proper range; (ii) invent a great solution for road trips, via the SuCs; (iii) prove that an EV does not necessarily have to look like a Prius, but can indeed look as sexy as its performance deserves.

Well, I suppose there are still two of the three arguments left for the MX :)

But of course, let's wait for the real thing to be presented before judging too harshly (it may also have a lot to do with those wheels (19"/20"?) on the mules).

From the "Configuration Has Begun!" thread:
Standard Equipment
Automatically retracting rear spoiler

Yes, though we don't know for sure if there is a difference in "standard equipment" depending on which battery type you select. The Sig ordering pages we've seen all assume a 90 kWh battery as a starting point.

But I generally agree that the retracting spoiler is likely standard across all models.

Yes, though we don't know for sure if there is a difference in "standard equipment" depending on which battery type you select. The Sig ordering pages we've seen all assume a 90 kWh battery as a starting point.

But I generally agree that the retracting spoiler is likely standard across all models.

The retracting spoiler is functional and required to correct for compromises in the aerodynamics of the rear window slope. It will likely be on all models.