TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Mule Sightings

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Paul Carter, Jan 29, 2015.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

2. ScepticMatt

ScepticMatt Member

media posted by insideevs/gas2/valuewalk etc. means it's rehashed old news.
    I dislike the fact that those pop up as "new" in google news.

This video still one of the best shots of the Model X front though.

3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

From reddit:

8xdJp5m.jpg

4. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

Great Scott!

Do people not know how to take pictures of the FRONT of the vehicle?

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Well, if you're the driver, it is markedly easier to take a photo out of the front window (of the back) than out of the rear window. So I think that explains some of it. I'm with you, though... bring on the front shots.

6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Hmmm, that dark gray looks pretty great in the fading Silicon Valley sun. Odd that it's not sporting one of the two new wheel choices. Maybe these are the real base model wheels, or maybe they're holding out for some dark gray 22's to match? ;-)

Trim and door handles look to be properly aligned but still some falcon door sticking up over the rear glass.

Thanks for sharing! Getting very excited to see all about the stuff we don't know yet!

7. Matias

Matias Active Member

Yes. And I dont see any extra wires which would cause it.

8. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Damn, this is one good looing car! I think we all know what cars with 7 full sized seats normally look like... I am so glad they signed Franz to Tesla, can't wait to see his upcoming designs for the next models.

9. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

goneskiian - everything lines up perfectly (!?) around the falcon door so THIS IS IT......That step in the roof is for some reason - aero; mechanism; weather-proofing??

Unless we believe that this still has non-final production roof panels!

10. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

Great to see the car live in different colors. Choosing color for the Model X is harder than choosing for the Model S back in 2013.

But the edge between the falcon doors and the rear hatch... what`s going on there? I think all mule photos I`ve seen have this strange misalignment between doors and roof. Hope this isn`t a feature that makes its way into production? The rest of the car looks finished (i.e. chrome detalis on the sides, doorhandles match etc.)

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

It could be final overall design, but they could still be having problems with fitment. Even the Model S had issues.

12. Matias

Matias Active Member

If that is a feature, it is the most stupid feature ever.

13. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

#3253 Oyvind.H, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    +1
    Both roof and sides must be aligned. Anything else will make the car look unfinished/damaged. I for one would not accept this.
    If the doors are impossible to align even when fresh out of the factory one can only imagine how they will look after a couple of years wear and tear.
    But for now I`ll settle with this being beta cars and not the finished product.

14. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

The latest Kia Optima has a similar edge near the top of the rear doors sticking out like that, so maybe it is an aerodynamic featue.

ps Thanks TMC/Tesla for making me see alignment issues everywhere now ...

15. Saxena

Saxena Member

+1 EVenthusiast
    I'm also noticing everyone else's wheels now too!!

16. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

Could the 'misalignment' above the rear hatch house sensors?

17. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

That "misalignment" looks quite symmetric and the rest of the door seems to fit very well. So I'm leaning towards "intentional". Just not sure what they are for. Maybe they prevent water from dripping in when opening the doors?

18. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

Here's a pic of the Kia Optima:

kiaoptima.jpg

19. aija SigX 649

aija SigX 649 Winged Lion

Most likely a production-candidate issue that will be resolved starting with the Founders edition. Notice that the misalignment starts at the roof hinge and flows out then down the side of the door. Evidenced by the visible shadow along the roof and on the edge of the trim pieces at the top and bottom of the window.

20. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

We already knew some of the development cars have had some issues with the doors, the latest picture is apparently one of these cars. This is how the doors will look in the finished car:

View attachment 92575