Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't look like in the video. First I thought it was just the perspective, bit when you look closer you see that the doors in the video open much further down. In addition in the animation it looks like the doors go in and then go down. In the video it looks much more like one movement where they just fold in.

That's the first thing I noticed in the video as well. They didn't seem to be as "double-hinged" as I expected.

Fascinating. I could only understand 50% of the segment, and even with that handicap I would say it was one of the better interviews of Elon in the past few years. The emotion coming through from Elon was amazing. I really hope he can find the additional bench strength for the leadership team so he can take a vacation. It sounds like he needs one, and I bet his kids would like to spend some quality time with him too (if I was a guessing man, that's what was making Elon emotional; the sacrifices he had to make for one child (SpaceX, Tesla) over the others (his kids.) From all reports, working for Elon is very difficult, which I'm sure adds to the complexity in finding the right people.

This doesn't look like in the video. First I thought it was just the perspective, bit when you look closer you see that the doors in the video open much further down. In addition in the animation it looks like the doors go in and then go down. In the video it looks much more like one movement where they just fold in.

But if you look at the video, the completely open falcon wing door doesn't appear to stick out any further than the open driver's door (which doesn't look fully opened). Then when the falcon wing door is at waist level, it's only about half of the space of the open driver's door.

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 10.05.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 10.05.44 AM.png

But I don't have to open the door that far to get out of the car. Sure some people might, but as a thin guy in Europe's tight parking spots I can usually squeeze myself out :tongue: Oh and i'm pretty sure that front door would hit our garage wall.

And I don't get what your point is with the waist level half as far out. How does that matter?

Last edited:

In that video the front door did open too. It is easy to use that as a guide to see how small space the FWD needs.

I'm not sure the above picture is quiet at the widest part of the lower panels arc. I had tried to do a similar exercise the other day by overlaying two frames of that video.

FWD Opening.jpg

It appears to initially go fairly vertical, then about from waist height and above arc out a fair way.

I have to say the head clearance looks a little tight in the video but then the guy might be tall. However it did make me think if the car is pulled up next to a kerb to let someone in from a pavement (which is 4" here in the UK) then it could exacerbate this issue. Will have to wait and see.

Fascinating. I could only understand 50% of the segment, and even with that handicap I would say it was one of the better interviews of Elon in the past few years. The emotion coming through from Elon was amazing. I really hope he can find the additional bench strength for the leadership team so he can take a vacation. It sounds like he needs one, and I bet his kids would like to spend some quality time with him too (if I was a guessing man, that's what was making Elon emotional; the sacrifices he had to make for one child (SpaceX, Tesla) over the others (his kids.) From all reports, working for Elon is very difficult, which I'm sure adds to the complexity in finding the right people.

That's true. And I think people should stop bothering him/them with little things like not being invited to the event soon enough. They need to spend whatever they got to fry the big fish.

I'm not sure the above picture is quiet at the widest part of the lower panels arc. I had tried to do a similar exercise the other day by overlaying two frames of that video.

View attachment 95786

It appears to initially go fairly vertical, then about from waist height and above arc out a fair way.

I have to say the head clearance looks a little tight in the video but then the guy might be tall. However it did make me think if the car is pulled up next to a kerb to let someone in from a pavement (which is 4" here in the UK) then it could exacerbate this issue. Will have to wait and see.

Just enter the vehicle from the "side" of the door, as you would with a conventional door. That is, I don't know many non-sliding doors that open in such a way that you can walk straight into the vehicle.

But I don't have to open the door that far to get out of the car. Sure some people might, but as a thin guy in Europe's tight parking spots I can usually squeeze myself out :tongue: Oh and i'm pretty sure that front door would hit our garage wall.

And I don't get what your point is with the waist level half as far out. How does that matter?

Wel, if you have to open your driver's side door 8 inches, bang it into a wall, and then slither out and shimmy along the side of the car to get out of your garage... maybe this isn't the car for you. Or you could take some tips from this guy and make sure the FWD is lined up with your garage exit. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always assumed that, with the sensors on the Model X, it would detect its surroundings and open the door in slightly different ways to avoid crashing into things. Different amounts of motion from either of the two hinges at different times could avoid a laterally close object/wall/car/etc., or keep the door low under tight vertical obstructions. This sort of calculated opening motion might also slow down the door.

In the case of this video, the fact that there are no obstructions might just mean the door is opening in a "default" path and isn't "trying" to remain super close to the sides of the X.

I have always assumed that, with the sensors on the Model X, it would detect its surroundings and open the door in slightly different ways to avoid crashing into things. Different amounts of motion from either of the two hinges at different times could avoid a laterally close object/wall/car/etc., or keep the door low under tight vertical obstructions. This sort of calculated opening motion might also slow down the door.

In the case of this video, the fact that there are no obstructions might just mean the door is opening in a "default" path and isn't "trying" to remain super close to the sides of the X.

I like your theory. But at the same time it also complicates and creates adversarial conditions which they would have had to test against. Anyhow, we shall see. It is likely that there are 2-3 at most modes of opening - a) Conservative Cramped Mode, b) Swing-it-out fast and big mode, c) Something in between ? Roof-rack mode or a custom setting ?

When I lived in central London I had a tiny garage (most houses don't have them) and I drove a mini. When parking in the garage I used to have to crawl out the roof top, slide down the side which would land me next to the door to the house. Wish I had photos of this. Anyhow I am sure that these doors are going to work for me.