Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
better late then never?
Tesla X Trailer.jpg

Anything is possible... If you are already pulling a trailer, would the weight of adding batteries to the base negate any range increase?
While it's possible that there could be a ~100 kwh battery at the base of the trailer for test convenience, I highly doubt that Tesla would enter the trailer business any time soon. Range extenders of any sort also wouldn't fit to Tesla's marketing strategy. They have large batteries in the car + superchargers.

While it's possible that there could be a ~100 kwh battery at the base of the trailer for test convenience, I highly doubt that Tesla would enter the trailer business any time soon. Range extenders of any sort also wouldn't fit to Tesla's marketing strategy. They have large batteries in the car + superchargers.

I'd bet you're right. It would sort of say "Hey our superchargers and range aren't enough". Would be a nice aftermarket thing, though I can't see anyone getting it to work outside of Tesla (meaning without them allowing it).

Looks huge, doesn't it?

It does look enormous. In fact, wherever I was looking at the Frunk in my MS, I always thought that although there is a lot of space under the hood, Tesla did not utilize it in a very efficient manner. MS, of course was their first truly (relatively) mass production car which they needed to get to market in a short period of time, and I concluded that maximizing frunk space was just not very high on the priority list. I always thought, that given that Tesla took their time with the design of MX, they will do a better job maximizing frunk space. And it looks that they indeed did an exceptionally good job with it.

They were not kidding when saying that frunk will take a couple of golf bags!

This also begs the other question - whether this newly optimized frunk will end up (just the shallower version of it) in Model S?

Snap1.png

Last edited:
When seeing MS on the line at the factory - there doesn't appear to be any spare room around the frunk lining - so I don't see anywhere they could expand the frunk without some significant rework of where stuff is mounted. In the D's it was even worse

Theres a bigger frunk in the MX because car sits higher and this allows the frunk space to clear the wheel wells IMO

When seeing MS on the line at the factory - there doesn't appear to be any spare room around the frunk lining - so I don't see anywhere they could expand the frunk without some significant rework of where stuff is mounted. In the D's it was even worse

I think that they would not be able to make such a large frunk by just re-working of where staff is mounted - I believe they reworked the whole structure, moving around the octagonal beams that support the bumper header and the cross beam between the strut housings. I have a feeling that this will be specifically addressed during the event. They most definitely did an impressive job with this.

If the maximization of the MX frunk space was achieved by optimizing the body, it is most definitely will end up in MS, as the bodies will invariably be harmonized to minimize the differences and maximize standardization. In fact, I think that this might have been one of the reasons to keep the design under wraps - for the fear of MS sales cannibalization.

Tesla_body_shell[1].jpg

Last edited: