Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for sharing.

Key takeaways from the latest sighting:

- The overall shape of the mule is the same as we've seen since the beginning of 2015, suggesting this is the direction we'll probably see upon reveal...
- Nosecone question inconclusive. It is probably the same camoed shape we have seen on the mules, so it is probably wrapped, missing parts of the trim and may or may not contain a traditional nosecone in the final version (I guess one alternative could be, a front bumper shaped like a nosecone without an actual separate element) - I'm leaning on a nosecone being there
- The falcon wings seem the new lighted design as teased by the update photo from last fall, the design is notably lighter compared to the 2012-2013 prototype, falcon wing moonroof window(s) are there, not that we ever expected them to not be, but it hadn't really been confirmed prior to this
- Windshield glass all the way to the falcon wings is there and would seem to be without a cross-beam around A pillars, but seems still camoed to hide this
- Rear-view mirror is there, although it doesn't seem it has final trim around it yet
- There is a circle on the top of the B pillar exterior, which I guess could be a camera, but also it could be mere artifact from camera/compression and/or reflection - I'm leaning on it being nothing, if there is an all-around camera system (which seems likely), we probably haven't seen it in action yet (not properly at least)
- The photo isn't wide enough and the resolution isn't high-enough to make out anything new about front bumper-area sensors or cameras, but the front wheelwell sensor certainly looks merely an ultrasonic
- I can make out only two second-row seats, is this an executive edition (some SUVs have such an option for second row) or is the third seat folder/swiveled whatnot away
- I can't make out a third row in this, but it could of course just be folded away - we have seen evidence of third-row neckrest silhouettes on rear-shot mule images. Of course the interesting question isn't whether or not there will be a third-row, which we know there will be, but whether or not it is optional and what that option might mean for the second-row.
- This is the first we've seen of the new falcon wing locking mechanism, the 2012-2013 prototypes used to have these rails on the bottom of the B pillar (those might still be there of course) but here we can see what looks like the locking mechanism on the hemline of the car that didn't seem to be there on the old prototypes
- Michigan location for the poster would jive with the fact that JerseyGirl sightings had Michigan truck plates and we speculated Tesla has been testing in Michigan
- Loved the USE EXHAUST HOSE when running engine, suggests this may be a more of a generic facility and perhaps the photo was taken by an outsider - maybe a place Tesla rents/buys services from? Wild speculation, of course. Could be just a Tesla facility that has been used with ICEs as well, we know the history of their factory etc. of course.
- Is it possible the non-wrapped driver's seat isn't the same as the other wrapped seats, it doesn't seem impossible they might borrow a driver's seat from Model S while hiding other production seats at this stage. Then again, maybe they are all final or near-final seats.
- Shot being taking without fully showing front suggests perhaps an intentional leak and/or hiding of a front plate, the only other reason (beyond accident) would be a front license plate perhaps?

Any other notes?

Reflected image also suggests to me that Person Of Interest #2 is holding a charging cord in his hand....if so, evidence that - alas for some of you - charge port remains in same location as in Model S.

The charge port likely remains in the same place as on Model S, of course (Superchargers etc.). I think the only far-fetched but within realm of theoretical possibility would be a charge port on both sides (to enable easier charging in some situations), for which this unfortunately would not be proof either way, because they could charge from either side. I'm not sure it would be proof in any case, since it might simply communicate where the power sockets/lines are in that establishment.

That said, I'm leaning on Model X only having one charge port and that in the same Model S location.

Wonder, why TMC wasn't asked to remove it this time, like in January (render)?
Nothing to see? No one awake? To close to release? Intended Distraction?

Well, it could be spilled milk - didn't get to it soon enough. The CAD was shutdown much faster. Also, a CAD can be argued copyrighted by Tesla.

Then again, the fact that the photographer didn't photograph the hidden front of the car makes an intended leak possible. It is not like we are seeing too much new in this one.

Assuming one believes in controlled leaks. I'm not sure I prefer that theory, but of course they are possible.

- Shot being taking without fully showing front suggests perhaps an intentional leak and/or hiding of a front plate, the only other reason (beyond accident) would be a front license plate perhaps?

I'd argue it's possible it's just someone who isn't very good at framing a shot. I know plenty of people that have this problem, even when photographing humans, they cut parts off.

- The overall shape of the mule is the same as we've seen since the beginning of 2015, suggesting this is the direction we'll probably see upon reveal...
- Nosecone question inconclusive. It is probably the same camoed shape....

So many contradictory statements but this is a clear one from the start. It's simply impossible to say we're seeing final anything and promptly following this with notes about how camouflaged it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Then again, the fact that the photographer didn't photograph the hidden front of the car makes an intended leak possible.

An "intended leak" is just nuts, if Tesla wanted to reveal they'd do a reveal; there's no possible motivation to "leak" anything deliberately.

AnxietyRanger said:
- Nosecone question inconclusive. It is probably the same camoed shape

So many contradictory statements but this is a clear one from the start. It's simply impossible to say we're seeing final anything and promptly following this with notes about how camouflaged it is.

Text is hard, I am attempting to convey my thinking the best I can. Whatever may be contradictory is not intentional - and I hope a reader that doesn't read me like the devil reads the bible can make out the difference.

What in my quote do you think is contradictory?

I'll try to explain:

1) The mounting evidence of mules showing this same shape since 2015, step by step revealing more (and less camo), while remaining the same creates a body of work that to me suggests we're headed for reveal with something like this - that doesn't mean Tesla couldn't surprise us with something (especially in the front we have not seen in final form, I'm sure), but I just find it less likely with each step for many major parts like the falcon wings, sides, rear

2) As for nosecone, that is - as you know from my previous posts - an area where I think we don't know anything about what is final (I do not include it in the point 1), but I merely offered my views on what this mule is compared to other mules and what the nosecone question overall might result in

If you could explain a little what you disagree with and I can check my thinking?

- - - Updated - - -

An "intended leak" is just nuts, if Tesla wanted to reveal they'd do a reveal; there's no possible motivation to "leak" anything deliberately.

As I said in the part of my message you did not quote, I'm mostly with you on that one:

"Assuming one believes in controlled leaks. I'm not sure I prefer that theory, but of course they are possible. "

As for that "of course they are possible part" - judging from out past discussions, I am just probably more prone to keeping an open mind to an extent further than you prefer to communicate, so I'd chalk that up to personal style differences - rather than necessarily differences of view. If I say I find something possible, I don't mean I necessarily find it likely, probable or practical, I just leave bit room for the theoretical.

Yeah, here is a note: I should never have unignored you and read these posts. You're still as crazy I can see.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought my conciliatory PM to you back when would have mended some fences, but I guess not. I don't see where I ever posted anything to or about you to be called crazy, but that's how it rolls I guess.

I do not think this is an intentional leak, I just left room for the possibility and tried to offer whatever points I could think of for the discussion.

Seeing that he pulled the image as well as put it with other misc images (if I have read up thread correctly)

My theory is this is someone who dipped his toes in the water of taking a picture of something he should not have and did not fully realize the ramifications. Had no idea there was talk about nosecones, etc. Also, took it quickly and only took one.

Could be wrong. I have been before and put good money on being wrong again :)

Seeing that he pulled the image as well as put it with other misc images (if I have read up thread correctly)

My theory is this is someone who dipped his toes in the water of taking a picture of something he should not have and did not fully realize the ramifications. Had no idea there was talk about nosecones, etc. Also, took it quickly and only took one.

Could be wrong. I have been before and put good money on being wrong again :)

Sounds plausible to me.

Even though I guess some view me so, I'm not one to believe in the conspiracy theories. But I do consider them as well, because some others often suggest them - and because reality is sometimes stranger than fiction.

It isn't like companies have never done any viral marketing. :) But in this case, no, I don't think Tesla leaked this.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought my conciliatory PM to you back when would have mended some fences, but I guess not. I don't see where I ever posted anything to or about you to be called crazy, but that's how it rolls I guess.

I do not think this is an intentional leak, I just left room for the possibility and tried to offer whatever points I could think of for the discussion.

Wouldn't take it to heart. You've got to admit that you've got to be slightly crazy to go into this level of detailed and intense thought/analysis/whatever (people here seem to get very hung up over semantics, I don't. Words and their meanings are fluid and subjective) over a few photos, and do it again every single time. Nothing wrong with that of course, and lot's of people here have said they really appreciate your posts!

Basically, let Johan think you're crazy. I agree with him, but don't mean it at all in a derogatory way. Crazy lends colour to the world.

I have nothing to say about the picture, other than it looks pretty cool.

Wouldn't take it to heart. You've got to admit that you've got to be slightly crazy to go into this level of detailed and intense thought/analysis/whatever (people here seem to get very hung up over semantics, I don't. Words and their meanings are fluid and subjective) over a few photos, and do it again every single time. Nothing wrong with that of course, and lot's of people here have said they really appreciate your posts!

Basically, let Johan think you're crazy. I agree with him, but don't mean it at all in a derogatory way. Crazy lends colour to the world.

I have nothing to say about the picture, other than it looks pretty cool.

I do appreciate your point of view, very reasonable of you, too. I fear not all are viewing my posts see them with similar positive-crazy attitude (or positively at all), but that's the nature of the beast. A lot of it is misunderstanding that is hard to fix in impersonal communications. Might be quickly fixed over beers, of course. I admit I have also taken on some unpopular topics, which has lead me to be disliked by some (and, equally, appreciated by others). It would be disingenuous to claim part of it isn't my own doing. :)

But one thing that has always puzzled me is, why the detective work is so controversial here. I have never quite grasped why it creates such strong emotions in some. I can understand debates about Tesla, TMC or such creating a bit of turmoil, but in my long while on various automotive and other enthusiasts circles, I have never witnessed such opposition to detective work on future models as on TMC. In other forums I've experienced it as par the course and wouldn't even consider myself particularly attentive or active in this regard. Future products, research, speculation, leaks, analysis are regular daily fodder in interest groups.

Oh well. Maybe one day someone can explain that to me over those beers. :)

Just went to the Petaluma Supercharger today and when I pulled in there was a Black Model X charging with a black car cover over it. I went over to some guys next to it and a gray Model S and said is this what I think it is and one of them nodded his head to the positive. The bummer is did not get any good pictures because I'm sure they would not of appreciated it. My wife got a couple from a distance once they left, unfortunately people in the way. I did see it as it left up close and looks like the others spotted and similar to the unit posted to Reditt. Same blacked out nose cone and rear glass area and headlights, I have to say considering this is the first Model X I have seen in person it looks very nice overall. It seems bigger in person than in the posted pictures we have all seen over the last year.
image.jpg

Last edited: