Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could envision a third row that folds down into the floor, allowing the second row to sit back further when not using 3rd row.

That's a cool idea.

I have some theories to put out... firstly, I guess that this is not a beta car, it's one of the mules that are held together with duct tape, more or less. There are still lots of mismatching bits like the interior plastic around the rear wheel well. Thusly, they do not have the magical final seats - or anything like the final seats. For cars that are out in the wild, Tesla are being very careful to not accidentally reveal what the seats may be/do. To me, it looks like there are two Model S "front" seats in the 2nd row of the car. They're in plastic because they're new and Tesla hopes to use them in a production Model S at some point.

Nosecone... I've always thought the Model X will have that Tesla family feature - the nosecone. Sorry some people don't like it... there isn't really much you can put on the fronts of cars which have no major air inlets and need to be really aerodynamic.

Exhaust warning on door... Tesla is an expanding company and is buying/renting facilities all over the place, especially for field testing where they need private cover to work on unreleased cars. Even if this is a newly-purchased Tesla service shop (which it looks like it could be), it could just be a common sense warning on a garage door.

Side mirrors... I was initially overjoyed to see the "matt" finish on the side mirrors, since to me that would indicate they're detachable, attachable, different in some way, call it what you will, but indicative of something to come later (e.g. removability for cameras). But, now that they are definitely not the final cars... it could simpluy be plastic, painted in a different way, anything.

That's a cool idea.

I have some theories to put out... firstly, I guess that this is not a beta car, it's one of the mules that are held together with duct tape, more or less. There are still lots of mismatching bits like the interior plastic around the rear wheel well. Thusly, they do not have the magical final seats - or anything like the final seats. For cars that are out in the wild, Tesla are being very careful to not accidentally reveal what the seats may be/do. To me, it looks like there are two Model S "front" seats in the 2nd row of the car. They're in plastic because they're new and Tesla hopes to use them in a production Model S at some point.

Nosecone... I've always thought the Model X will have that Tesla family feature - the nosecone. Sorry some people don't like it... there isn't really much you can put on the fronts of cars which have no major air inlets and need to be really aerodynamic.

Exhaust warning on door... Tesla is an expanding company and is buying/renting facilities all over the place, especially for field testing where they need private cover to work on unreleased cars. Even if this is a newly-purchased Tesla service shop (which it looks like it could be), it could just be a common sense warning on a garage door.

Side mirrors... I was initially overjoyed to see the "matt" finish on the side mirrors, since to me that would indicate they're detachable, attachable, different in some way, call it what you will, but indicative of something to come later (e.g. removability for cameras). But, now that they are definitely not the final cars... it could simpluy be plastic, painted in a different way, anything.

Some comments:

- The idea that the second-row might be able to go further back if third-row is folded away is nice. The second-row does seem quite far back in this image entry-purpose wise - and it seems the rails of the seat may be visible in the image.

- Second-row indeed seems to sit pretty high, but the side of the bench seems more Model X prototype than Model S rear seat to me... That said, it is quite possible they are not the final seats, if meant to be driven in public etc.

- The idea that the nosecone might be gone is very speculative: We have one alleged leakster saying it, and a comment from Tesla head designer that it is the one thing he'd change in Model S... and of course the fact that this area is so camouflaged in the mules. But beyond that... Who knows. The mules certainly seem to camo a nosecone-like shape, but then Tesla might have a final bumper with anything on it in some secret lab...

- I agree the facility may be Tesla's acquisition - if not a third-party facility they are/were using temporarily. Also, even Tesla might occasionally bring in ICEs from competitors etc.

I'll split the bill, if only to watch the interaction!

Your curiosity for the expected social train-wreck is well appreciated. :) However, I also think it might be that face-to-face any differences would melt away as quickly as a P85D hits 60 mph.

It is true that e.g. bonnie and NigelM have been very active and vocal posters, appreciated members with also great followings, on many of the topics I've frequented and we've had our share of debates. But sometimes I feel sad that we talk past each other, like can happen with anyone on the Internet - this is an issue with text in general, probably more so than with us people in particular. In reality, I'm sure we're all good people who would understand each other better in a real social setting. Besides, I'm always of the (hopeful) opinions that in debates it is the issues that argue, not people.

If you, Johan, Nigel and Bonnie get together for beers ...I an buying.....no limit:wink:

I'll split the bill, if only to watch the interaction!

Leave me out of it, you up-to-no-good troublemakers. :)

I excused myself from specific interaction quite awhile ago, because I felt like whatever I said was picked apart and other motivations were being assigned to what I said. It was extremely frustrating, especially when my opinions would repeatedly be dismissed as simply 'fanboy' behavior. After asking for that to stop & it continued, the easiest thing was to just stop playing.

Not in my nature, I know. :) But there's a saying that I like: Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy? I'm opting for happy.

I tend to doubt this is an intentional leak. That said, I have *no* doubt that some of the earlier sightings were--particularly the "testing" in Alameda and the first shots of the black one in San Jose. Those were just too convenient.

- I can make out only two second-row seats, is this an executive edition (some SUVs have such an option for second row) or is the third seat folder/swiveled whatnot away

AR, as I suggested upthread,

"In Jerjozwik's posted image, it looks to me like for the second row seats, two seats are kept in the middle row position, the third and furthest seat is pulled all the way back to where a third row would be (both that window seat and the other window seat of the second row appear to be wrapped in plastic with some paper under the plastic near the top of the headrest)."

Merrill,Mehta a surprise sighting! So you are saying that while it was charging the Tesla guys had put a cover over the car? Interesting. I wonder why they drove it to Petaluma from Fremont.
Was very surprised to see the Model X plugged in and Covered with a car cover that was obviously custom made to fit the Model X. There were at least 4 guys, very young eating next to the covered Model X and a gray Model S also charging. What are the chances of showing up at this supercharger and finding this happening. I take it as a sign I needed to keep the faith. Not sure what they were doing in Petaluma on a Saturday.

I did a little bit of internet sleuthing on the reddit link. I believe I know the OP's first name and last initial and I'm relatively certain he lives and works in western Michigan - in the Holland area, perhaps. My guess is that this is where the MX was (quite possibly the same one that Jersey Girl saw with MI tags). I searched around that "7W" on the bay door behind the MX, trying the long shot to see if there was a suite for some sort of auto repair or factory in Holland with that in the address. No luck. I don't think it's a repair shop, anyway, just based on the supplies in the shelving on the back wall. Looks to me to be something more manufacturing/testing specific.

Edited to add:
LG Chem and Johnson Controls are both in Holland. Both build batteries, with LG Chem building batteries for the Volt. I wonder if Google Street View will show me bay 7W..

Last edited: