Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the detailed analysis of the pictures... I think all we can tell from the pictures is that these clearly aren't the final panels and final parts.
Or phrased the other way round... if these ARE the final panels and parts than the fit and finish of the Model X will compare poorly to a Yugo...
As I said before in what used to be "the one" thread (and now has been spread over what feels like half a dozen - thanks HRHLGP) - Tesla isn't showing us the final look. They are sending old and misleading panels and lights and front cones out on Bay Area freeways for the road testing. And they are keeping the much more attractive and exciting new look a surprise.

Even though I joked that these mules look like my Model S on a winter morning, so put it to production guys job well done, even I assume they are not final panels all around. :)

I would expect some to be near final, though, and more importantly I would expect them to offer potential clues of the final product through showing us glimpses of design direction and progress.

Most importantly, they're the best we have so far. Like the man himself said, the Internet is very good at this.

Over the past decade or so, an Internet cottage industry formed around Apple, pretty much is by now able to predict with 100% certainty what the next iPhone looks like from a partial shot of a microphone circuit board. We're not quite there yet.

Based on what? I have seen a lot of good arguments (and I hope I made some good arguments) why I think that what we see right now are Frankenstein-Autos.
Besides proof by repeated assertion I haven't seen a lot of convincing arguments why some people believe the mules we have spotted so far are "near final".

Why would the fact, and I'm willing to call it a fact, that these are Frankenstein mules prohibit some parts from being near final? And especially more informative regarding the final product than some 2012-2013 prototypes were.

I think, for me, the most telling part is the November update email. If they go as far as putting something on official PR, it probably is quite far along - especially when that PR came at a time Tesla started talking about starting to work with accessory makers. The design of the falcon wings and the bonnet especially speak to me, there.

I think the mule(s) also show more mature elements in some areas than others, suggesting possible near final parts, whereas others are clearly hodge podge.

Why would the fact, and I'm willing to call it a fact, that these are Frankenstein mules prohibit some parts from being near final?[...]
I think the mule(s) also show more mature elements in some areas than others, suggesting possible near final parts, whereas others are clearly hodge podge.
OK, maybe we are saying the same thing just focusing on different parts of that same statement. I'm saying "the mules are clearly not final", you are saying "some parts of them are certainly final".
The hard part in my mind is to figure out (as we analyze these pictures), which of the things we are focusing on are final and which are "hodge" and "podge".
But yes, I think we actually agree.

OK, maybe we are saying the same thing just focusing on different parts of that same statement. I'm saying "the mules are clearly not final", you are saying "some parts of them are certainly final".
The hard part in my mind is to figure out (as we analyze these pictures), which of the things we are focusing on are final and which are "hodge" and "podge".
But yes, I think we actually agree.

I'm hesitant to say any part would be final, but my feel is, some parts are near final - and especially that some shapes and lines are probably near final.

For example, the rear diffuser looks very far along, but who knows yet - it is the only part in the car that isn't camoed, so either they are testing the rear diffuser or it actually isn't final at all because they can show it. :)

While the analysis, blow ups, comparisons of the pictures are all appreciated, it seem the body panels do not fit. Thus the tape, uneven lines, missing pillar covers, model S "like dash and seats" etc. leaves me to conclude these are still mules -- especially since tape is around the windows and the "Frunk" does not mesh with the fenders or nose area. We will all really have to wait another 120 days. After years, that's not too much longer. That said, I think a real outside view with "things not revealed" hidden would be a nice gesture of respect for the reservation holders by Tesla.

Of course they are still mules. We will know the final design in due course, until then we can guess - unless one is those privy to insider information, of course.

And I've seen tons of camo'd cars too, before. They are traditionally used in the industry to draw pictures even for magazines, partially based on mules, partially on concept vehicles and partially on imagination/guesswork.

The pre-relase interest in how a new model looks is nothing new - and it is definitely nothing unique to Tesla. :) For some reason pre-release guesswork is not a fan-favourite on TMC, but it is on other car medias.

Posted on reddit by Gsnipe Titled: Spotted: Tesla Model X on I-280 (OC) on April 3, 2015 10:42:01 PDT

FFxMegq.jpg

Ouch on the door panel alignment!

Last edited:
Model X Mule Spottings

Also the front wheel well moulding is missing.

It looks like there is an oh s*** handle on the passenger A pillar too. :). The reflection in the windshield looks like the dash mat is missing.

This is one of the clearest photos I have seen yet.

The speculation of the A pillar video screen doesn't look like it in this one.

Also, is the rocker panel broken and a piece missing right behind the front wheel? Possibly in front of the rear wheel too. Perhaps this is their Baja beta.

Check out the tow hitch too.

Model X Mule Spottings

They did some hard testing and crashed the side, not only a part is missing, the left underbody is damaged near the front wheel.

And hopefully they went for a falcon wing test with intended wrong or bad closed, because it's not the first time we see the doors with bad fitting.

Also the front wheel well moulding is missing.

It looks like there is an oh s*** handle on the passenger A pillar too. :). The reflection in the windshield looks like the dash mat is missing.

This is one of the clearest photos I have seen yet.

The speculation of the A pillar video screen doesn't look like it in this one.

Also, is the rocker panel broken and a piece missing right behind the front wheel? Possibly in front of the rear wheel too. Perhaps this is their Baja beta.

Check out the tow hitch too.

The A pillar video is, of course, not there as already previously it was concluded to be just missing A pillar panel. But the rear falcon wing frame sensors are well visible here, so an interesting shot. Thank you for sharing!