Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, an array of *six* forward facing cameras at various heights attached on the outside of the body (well, I'm assuming the lower pair have mates on the left side like the top camera does.)

What in the world would those be for? Maybe to evaluate different angles for stereoscopic pothole/speedbump/obstacle detection?

Perhaps to find the best location for Autopilot cameras/sensors? Or road testing components that are not yet final spec.

shot a Model X today in Berkeley

sorry for poor video (cop was behind me)

got a shot of the frontend in the end :)

Thank you for braving the cop. :) This is a great, great video with good quality close-ups of all the pertinent areas. It also confirms there seems to be several cameras suction-cupped there. A good look at the spoiler too, which looks quite plasticy, probably not final parts or lacks paint. To me the front looks the same as always, perhaps a little more finalized, but of course it is in a camo wrap - still, a great look at it. As for those cameras, they indeed are in locations that could support all-around view, but it could be pretty much anything since we can't see any cameras inside finalized trim. Interior is Model S, as seen before, and probably nothing final.

Perhaps in some way seeing cars with suction-cup cameras this late in the game could suggest they are not ready to show finalized panels with cameras, which could either mean they are hiding them, or they are not yet ready. Former could be exciting for those expecting significant changes between mule and production, latter could be scary for those who fear delays and/or lack of features in initial Model X production. :)

Interesting to see what comes eventually out!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - and no rear-view mirror (1:17).

Last edited by a moderator:
The front end reminds me of the Model X Alphas.
Cut out a picture and rotated it.
Image: http://i.imgur.com/XISfuZw.png
XISfuZw.png

did u see the flashing light at the top left of the rear window at the seam in my video? is this an artifact or something else?

- - - Updated - - -

seem to start blinking as i get closer to the rear

- - - Updated - - -

i did see it with my naked eye also so it is not an artifact of the recording the the rear tail lights

- - - Updated - - -

the rear tail light blinking is an artifact of the recording but not the light at the top of the window near the falcon wing seam. also note the falcon wing shape on the roof