Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are those wheel arches installed to throw people off? They are what is causing that low rider look.

Most of the black mules have had trim around the bottom and around the wheel arches. On some it has been missing. On others it appears to have been severely abused. I'm in the camp of thinking the look of this one is due to whatever they happened to be doing that day with the air suspension.

People will start thinking these cars are a lot prettier when we are no longer looking at crappy spy photos of abused test vehicles.

The configuration page was promised? I missed that ...

Certainly was not promised. Elon mentioned "probably" 2 or 3 weeks from the Q2 call on 8/5 and that it "should" go live before the end of August. So any claims of "promises" is far fetched, and this week is only the early estimate of when it "probably" will go live. Of course the same probably language was used to say it would go live in July so take it for what it's worth.

configuration page at the end of this week ?

When Elon say 2-3 weeks, the first number always represent what he would like to see happen, but reality always make it not happen, and the second number represent what will happen if everything really really work like expected.

I'm starting to learn...

You know the guy has a warp(ed) speed sense of humor. I think there's a reason the build quality on the photos we see of mules (or whatever you want to call them) keeps looking sh*ttier and sh*ttier (this is a PG-13 thread, right?). Seriously, the duct tape is no longer camouflage, it's literally holding the body panels together.

Think about how Elon/Tesla has done things in the past. A lot of verbal clues but no visual/physical clues until WHAM!, he/they smack you in the back of the head with something awesome.

The five-part trilogy

A Gigafactory, and for months we were all, 'WTF is a Gigafactory, sounds like something out of a comic book'

A tweet about ludicrous mode months before we got the P90D

An analyst question about a capital raise and bam, we get one a couple weeks later (this has happened more than once)

"The Model X is really amazing...2nd row seat are a piece of sculpture...etc." and all we see are pieces of chrome hot glued to duct tape which is shrink-wrapped onto a body panel with a Model S dash velcroed inside

Now believe me, I'm with all of you, I can't wait to get smacked in the head. But I do think there has been a sort of tacit directive 'to do some goofy sh*t to the mules', just because they don't want to be like every other car company (or any company).

...impatiently waiting...
I say its 50-50.

There has been some testing of lane keep & the extra cameras but we also know Elon does have a sense of humor with naming of robots, his twitter avator & showing investors pictures of him wing walking.

Elon has also previously stated (categorically, with no probably or maybe) that we won't see Model X until deliveries start. Deliveries will start in September, so no public reveal till then.
I still think we'll get photos as soon as the Design Studio goes live, and we might start seeing unmasked release candidates as well at that point. There just won't be a chance to get up close in person or test ride/drive until after the first delivery. I'll give Elon the benefit of the doubt for the July prediction slipping when it was over 2 months out, but if he can't accurately predict 2-3 weeks out for something as straightforward as a few pictures and check boxes he should just stop answering.

Elon has also previously stated (categorically, with no probably or maybe) that we won't see Model X until deliveries start. Deliveries will start in September, so no public reveal till then.

I interpreted that as a broad statement early in the year more suggesting they wouldn't reveal features until much closer to deliveries (4-6 weeks out, would seem fair game). I'm curious if you expect it to be literally not until deliveries how founder/sig owners would choose their interior colours/choices without a look at the final interior?

I love how this myth continues to be propagated. Elon stating that some X's would be configured by the end of July has NOTHING to do with a "configuration page" going live.

Wrong. This is the question people are referencing:

Elon, do you want to talk about Model X? We've had a number of questions from investors and Ben's question here about when you'll be able to configure Model X online, when we'll show that to the public, how that will actually deploy?

And Elon's response:

Yes. Probably three months from now, May, so it's like – this is early July is when we'll ask people to do the configuration.

Elon uses the word probably a lot on earnings calls.

Hmmm, that's the first time I've seen the chrome trim on the boot left exposed. Falcon wing still doesn't look like it's closed all the way.

Otherwise it looks pretty great! For an SUV/CUV that is! ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm well aware of what Elon said. I was listening to the call and have listened to it since. Where, exactly, does he mention an online design studio going live in the statement "...asking people to do the configuration."? He doesn't. You're all hearing what you want to hear and not what he said.

My assertion, and I believe others agree, is that configuring can be done via email, phone call, or some other method other than an online design studio. This is likely what is happening with the Founders series X's and maybe even the first Signatures.

Last edited by a moderator: