Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been reported that a camouflaged model X has been spotted at the Chalon en Champagne Supercharger (France). It had a license plate from the Netherlands. My guess is that the assembly line in Tilburg is being tested for production. Sounds like these are the very last steps...

It has been reported that a camouflaged model X has been spotted at the Chalon en Champagne Supercharger (France). It had a license plate from the Netherlands. My guess is that the assembly line in Tilburg is being tested for production. Sounds like these are the very last steps...

A source would be great!

[EDIT:] HansWurst beat me to it. :wink:

It is on the french speaking forum (that I happen to moderate) here: http://forums.tesla-mag.com/dc/7075014277110699042/nouvelles-photos-de-la-MX/offset/28
The guy who reported this is trustworthy, but has not seen the mule himself. He says a young lady on a 2 week-end student job contract to organize supercharging queues (Chalon is only 2 stalls in a small hotel parking as far as I remember, and can be very busy on summer week-ends at the beginning/end of holidays) told him she was surprised to see all similar cars and only one different one (SUV, camouflaged, NL plates) and that she found the falcon doors very cool.

It is on the french speaking forum (that I happen to moderate) here: http://forums.tesla-mag.com/dc/7075014277110699042/nouvelles-photos-de-la-MX/offset/28
The guy who reported this is trustworthy, but has not seen the mule himself. He says a young lady on a 2 week-end student job contract to organize supercharging queues (Chalon is only 2 stalls in a small hotel parking as far as I remember, and can be very busy on summer week-ends at the beginning/end of holidays) told him she was surprised to see all similar cars and only one different one (SUV, camouflaged, NL plates) and that she found the falcon doors very cool.

I can see the excitement in that forum "Nouvelle photos del la MX" even with my extreeemly rusty high school French reading skills!

Chalon is a pretty obscure place for a sighting, it's 400-500km from Tillburg?

Chalon is a pretty obscure place for a sighting, it's 400-500km from Tillburg?

Using a pre-production X to test the various public chargers throughout Europe perhaps? I know they have a test lab in California, but the real world can be a totally different animal. Would make sense if there are changes to the the onboard charger (60A) compared to Model S, as discussed on another thread.

Using a pre-production X to test the various public chargers throughout Europe perhaps? I know they have a test lab in California, but the real world can be a totally different animal. Would make sense if there are changes to the the onboard charger (60A) compared to Model S, as discussed on another thread.

You could do all those tests within 100km of Tillburg. No need to drive 1,000km round trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you say it's obscure? It's 446km and therefore in principle doable on a 90kwh charge. It might well be that they're taking the X on a roundtrip from Tilburg to Nancy, to Basel, to Stuttgart, to Cologne and back to Tilburg.

And what would be the point of such a trip? Could be testing AP in Europe?

Has anyone noticed that with these 'Mules in the wild' pictures, the driver has the window down?

I am guessing that there is a problem rolling up the windows - thus delaying production.

Or the air conditioning doesn't work.

(OK, now there are some out there going "Hmmmmm....")

:biggrin:

assembly line in Tilburg? are you suggesting that Tesla has/is going to have an assembly plant in Europe?

Since the cars are shipped to Europe disassembled, I would assume they need to prepare the re-assembly line and properly test the very first cars they produce. A very common route is to drive all the way down to the south of France. People from the Netherlands just love it, from what I could see this summer.

And what would be the point of such a trip? Could be testing AP in Europe?

Don't know. What does AP stand for btw?

But it sounds plausible to me that they're testing both, real-world range on "European tarmac"/European driving conditions (Autobahn) and supercharging experience in various locations throughout Europe, especially after the re-assembly of car & battery which happens in Tilburg.

Don't know. What does AP stand for btw?

But it sounds plausible to me that they're testing both, real-world range on "European tarmac"/European driving conditions (Autobahn) and supercharging experience in various locations throughout Europe, especially after the re-assembly of car & battery which happens in Tilburg.
AP = Autopilot. But I assume they would just use a Model S for that testing.

But there are many reasons for taking the Model X on a road trip, if in fact one has been shipped to Europe. It could be a press event, where one or two approved journalists are allowed a ride with a news embargo until the design studio is launched. It could be a test run to test superchargers of various revisions. It could be a road noise test on various surfaces. Etc.

If a Model X has been shipped to Europe, that's very good news. They probably wouldn't bother sending over an unrepresentative prototype, so if they've sent over a Model X, it's likely similar to a Founders Series Model X.