Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The windshield in this latest picture intrigues me. There has been no hiding the fact that the X has a windshield that extends all the way back to the Falcon Wings. In the picture, it appears that the glass above the driver's eye level is almost opaque. In the past, this was obviously masking. But no need to do that now. I think it strongly suggests that those proposing electro-chromatic glass were correct, and that it will have the ability to go from lightly tinted (or nothing) all the way to opaque. IMO, this would qualify as a significant and highly desirable surprise.

x.jpg

Zoom in on top of windshield. To my eye this is opaque rather than just a tint. This looks like a release candidate car, so there's no reason for them to cover the inside of the windshield that I can figure.

How do you know that the additional camera isn't to enable features in addition to those promised for the S.

Tesla uses MobileEye technology. MobileEye tech can use many different cameras to accomplish the same task. Of course more cameras can increase detection speed and accuracy.

This is similar to mobile phone technology - always evolving (not perfected it in any way) and better every year - guaranteed.

What interests me in addition to the stereo windshield cameras (see my signature summary for many stereo camera shots on Model X mules) is the hole in the Tesla logo area of the front bumper. Audi and Volvo house their forward looking parking aid cameras in this location.

Tesla said Model X would have a step beyond Model S in autonomous hardware (exact quote again through the signature summary), so unless that too is delayed from initial launch, expect new hardware later.

Model S Auto-Pilot is VERY short on cameras and radars, both of which Germans have several more in their cars.

So I saw a black Model X driving on Arastradero Rd today. It had an 86 on the window if that means anything & there was 3 guys in the car. I tried to chase after it on my Yamaha Vino but my lil 125cc engine was no match. My only consolation was I finally got close to a P1 that someone brought in for service. Of course my photos suck as usual.
20150908_090126[1].jpg

I saw 5 model Xs on my way to a fashion swap. I tried to follow one but freaked out the guy. Sorry the video isn't great

Tesla - YouTube

They are all driving around Los Altos Hills

Great catch, interesting color too. I'm really surprised at how they are still hiding the design of the headlights. Unless it has a look even more unique than Acura's Jewel Eye LED headlights, I can't imagine why they are going out of their way to hide this.

Not sure if this has been talked about, but don't you think a lot of the sensors will be incorporated into the headlight? What a great place to put them- easy access/swap if they go bad. Same body parts for sensor/non-sensor equipped versions. Stereoscopic capability. Plus, they already look like the eyes of cars.

This could be why the are so secretive about the headlights....

Not sure if this has been talked about, but don't you think a lot of the sensors will be incorporated into the headlight? What a great place to put them- easy access/swap if they go bad. Same body parts for sensor/non-sensor equipped versions. Stereoscopic capability. Plus, they already look like the eyes of cars.

This could be why the are so secretive about the headlights....

But if the sensors are there and are covered on the mules... How do they test them?