Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules - is the nose cone gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
attachment.php?attachmentid=76594.jpg

To each his own I guess, This is ugly I wouldn't buy it.

I like the nose cone.

I'm sure many people like the nosecone. And I'm no artist, so even if it would be gone or changed, I doubt the car would look exactly like that. :D

The reason we speculate on a lack of nosecone is the fall 2014 leakster (whose CAD got pulled by Tesla) saying it is gone and a Tesla head designer saying in an interview the one thing he would change is the nosecone on the Model S... Finally, this has been one of the most camouflaged areas on the Model X mule(s) we have seen. But, of course, it may be that they will only change the nosecone, not get rid of it...

I'm sure many people like the nosecone. And I'm no artist, so even if it would be gone or changed, I doubt the car would look exactly like that. :D

The reason we speculate on a lack of nosecone is the fall 2014 leakster (whose CAD got pulled by Tesla) saying it is gone and a Tesla head designer saying in an interview the one thing he would change is the nosecone on the Model S... Finally, this has been one of the most camouflaged areas on the Model X mule(s) we have seen. But, of course, it may be that they will only change the nosecone, not get rid of it...
From an aerodynamics pov having a big flat nose like on the photoshop above makes no sense. Creates way too much drag. They are shaving off things like mirrors to reduce drag, they would nevet go for this. Whatever the nose will look like it will be aerodynamic.

From an aerodynamics pov having a big flat nose like on the photoshop above makes no sense. Creates way too much drag. They are shaving off things like mirrors to reduce drag, they would nevet go for this. Whatever the nose will look like it will be aerodynamic.

Agreed on the aero part.

The Photoshop isn't really trying to portray a flat nose, though, not anymore than a Model S nosecone is flat anyway (which it isn't). That is just a limitation of the draft and the abilities of its maker that it may look that way. :)

This side profile (earlier in this thread) of a Model X mule nose gives a better impression of the angle and of the venting even a noseconeless front would be expected to have - I had this in mind when I drafted that Photoshop and just tried to imagine what it would look underneath if the apparent nosecone shape is just camo and only the logo strip and vents underneath hint to final version... I didn't attempt to replicate the upper vents, though. I would expect there to be more of those.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76127&d=1427540647.jpg

Again, the Photoshop is extremely speculative and I don't expect it to come out that way. :) Just some food for discussion.

What if you get to choose the color of the nose cone. You can match the color of the body, while still being able to replace the most forward piece of the car in case of debris damage or minor bumps. Also, you could just go with black if you want.

This would be a major improvement pmadfly. I would be much happier if that option existed. However, there is always the option of having the car wrapped, as mentioned in other threads. My only concern with wraps is with so many sensors/cameras, would the wrap be good enough? My concern is will the sensors work well enough if they were under the wrap? If not and holes in the wraps are necessary, then will that hinder the effectiveness of the wrap?

Last edited:
This image was posted on TMC way back when to portray the idea...

attachment.php?attachmentid=22549&d=1369496153.jpg

Interesting to see what happens.

Three points to consider:

1) The September (alleged) leakster whose CAD got pulled by Tesla said the nose cone would be "gone"
2) Tesla head designer said the one thing he'd change about the Model S: nose cone
3) Nose cone is the most heavily disguised area on all the 2015 Model X mules

Oh the suspense...

Here is a new shot of the nose... and just some quick musings what might be missing. :) The nose cone shape is there, but different and possibly not final...

model_x_nose_may2015.jpg

Compare to the prototype it is different:

1399579415002-Tesla3.jpg

Still reminds me a little of this, the seeming T strip part... Of course, Model S has it part of the nose cone so it could still be just a two-part nose cone for some reason.

attachment.php?attachmentid=76594&d=1427839968.jpg

vandacca said:
Where is the driver and more importantly, the plaid shirt? It seems like its on regular roads, yet it must be parked there?
It does appear to be missing a lot of trim: around the front left wheel well; around the front and rear right windows (you can see silver chrome trim behind the rear window).
And finally, it appears that the rear window is made from 2 panes of glass (strange).

--updated--

Looks like it was being loaded into a trailer, and thats why there wasn't a driver. A quick search on Google maps shows that this is at 3495 Deer Creek Rd, Palo Alto, right across the street from Tesla.

This is actually one of those times when even I think this shot was intentionally leaked. A new poster, a shot with Model X stationary with a window open.

Sure, being loaded is possible, and a new poster may register just because they are had no reason to register before... Why just one shot, why not get out and document it more...?

Conspiracy theories aside, it is very much like the latest Model X mule(s) we've seen and much discussed. The rear door window is split into two in all the 2015 mules, I guess to allow full window opening for the front part on the falcon wing.

What is interesting on this mule is the dash. Is there just a panel missing or testing rig there, or are they camoing a new dash, a HUD, a screen or something. Probably nothing production-related, considering how much stuff is just barely hanging on on the model, like the wire? in the right back window.

Inconclusive if this mule has the camera(s) or no rear mirror like some, I think this is like the other black mule (or same mule) that has a rear-view mirror...

My post in Model 3 has the link to photo of one of the latest mules for comparisons:

AnxietyRanger said:
Thank you for sharing a great shot. Looks a bit leak(ish) to me with the driver missing...

Anyway, this is obviously a Model X mule. What is the likeliness of a smaller Model X -lookalike Model 3 being driven around? Not a lot. This one has all the tell-tale signs of falcon wings and I doubt Model 3 will have them.

This reminds me of the first time we sawe the Model X 2015 mule(s), there was also a big thread on it being Model 3... I don't think so.

Could disguised Model X actually be a Model 3 test mule?

Just compare to this:

How much has Model X changed: mule (2015) vs. prototype (2012) silhouette

It is just the angle of the image, blackness and missing trim making it look smaller than it is. In reality, there is plenty of space on the rear.

Man, the look of this thing has changed so much from the prototype. Obviously we haven't seen a final version but it is looking like a much cheaper vehicle than the luxury looking first prototype we saw. It also looks quite a bit smaller, but I'm not sure if that is just some of the design samples people are putting up or what. For $80,000 I think it needs to look like the original prototype.

Man, the look of this thing has changed so much from the prototype. Obviously we haven't seen a final version but it is looking like a much cheaper vehicle than the luxury looking first prototype we saw. It also looks quite a bit smaller, but I'm not sure if that is just some of the design samples people are putting up or what. For $80,000 I think it needs to look like the original prototype.

It is still by no means a small car - and actually probably is higher than the prototype (it has been speculated the wheelbase is a tad bit shorter, same as Model S, offset by extended overhangs, due to 2012 Model X prototype having longer-than-Model S wheelbase). Colored picture of the 2015 Model X mule next to a Model S (this is a real photo, only color added):

attachment.php?attachmentid=84524&d=1434668060.jpg

[Concept] Model X image without nose-cone and A pillar cross-beam - Page 4

Another (non-altered shot):

attachment.php?attachmentid=84513&d=1434663940.jpg

Ground clearance - X and S look similar, now that pics of the mules are out and about - Page 5

I can not share your certainty - if the image(s) you refer to is the one below. It seems to me pretty much the same as the 2015 Model X mules have in general looked. It may be wrapped and/or it may be a temporary front bumper altogether.

I did find this claim juicy, though:

The photos aren't worth going over to look at. Just 8 bit blocks. What is most interesting is the posters description:

"I went to the Fremont Supercharger by way of the test track and saw what I believe are release candidate Model X. There was a black one and a white one, without camo or disguise, so I believe they are the release candidates or validation releases that are now rolling off the line. I can say that they look true to the concept design, unlike the mules we've been seeing. The front definitely does not have the pointy look, but more of the full front fascia. They look beautiful. The falcon-wing glass top looked clear, so I wonder if they have the electrochromic tinting feature. The hinges looked curved."

Emphasis mine.

This is the mule image talked, unrelated to the Local host quote above.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90130&d=1439270930.jpg

Model X Mule Sightings - Page 213