Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules show signs of a new spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both Porsche Panamera and Audi A7 have automatically raising spoilers. They too are very heavy, all-wheel drive vehicles with very rounded rear designs. Maybe they need to be very rounded for minimum drag... but at the same time could need to offset that with additional downforce above certain speeds for safety?

Granted, Panamera and A7 are not very high, but on the high vehicle front the obvious CUV/SUV alternative, after all, would be a constant spoiler on the top of the rear window, probably not something Tesla wants to do? Audi has such a lip on the Q7 for example and BMW on the X5 etc. Model X does not have a top spoiler.

The highlighted (in this thread) area in Model X certainly could fit something like this shape-wise - sharply ending rear window with a rounded piece underneath it, in that regard the Model X mule is quite similar to Audi A7 and Panamera.

2010-porsche-panamera-s-rear-spoiler-photo-366241-s-1280x782.jpg

BMW, when they made a sort-of-CUV of the BMW 3... the BMW 3 GT, they added an automatic spoiler as well to complement that very short rear-end:

335i-2.jpg

It isn't hard to imagine certain speeds requiring additional downforce on the rear when there is so little "lip" there otherwise...

By the way, has Tesla moved the charge port to the opposite side on this mule... that seems wholly wrapped over, unlike the opposite side where the charge port cover area is carefully cut to open...?

Noooooo
I just moved the high amp cable in the garage to the other side based on the Model S.
*Shakes fist at sky*
I do believe the right side is better; but I have no interest in developing a logical argument for my belief.

Noooooo
I do believe the right side is better; but I have no interest in developing a logical argument for my belief.
The right side is better because the driver wouldn't have to walk around the whole vehicle to get to the charging port. :smile: Also, I think it would be easier to use the driver-side mirrors to line up the vehicle to the charging station.

AnxietyRanger said:
By the way, has Tesla moved the charge port to the opposite side on this mule... that seems wholly wrapped over, unlike the opposite side where the charge port cover area is carefully cut to open...?
Ummm, sure because Tesla obviously plan to move every one of the 2,000 Superchargers; ooops, what will Model S owners do? :eek:

The pondering was, has Tesla moved the port on this mule. Nothing more. It might mean absolutely nothing regarding charging and also might just be camouflage.

Especially, I am not at all suggesting that is something that would necessarily translate to a production vehicle. A mule, after all, might have whatever alternative setups for testing purposes. It is also possible the charge port is wrapped just so that it will still open when needed.

I am merely noting/analyzing what is there to see, i.e. what is the development status we are able to witness. It is a completely different question to ponder what that might mean for a production vehicle. In this case, I'm in your camp - really doubtful it would change, unless they would put in two charge ports - actually something I would like at some chargers.

Anyway, for some reason this mule seems to have the Model S equivalent of charge port wrapped over more than on the opposite side (where Model S has just a reflector) with the opposite site having cutouts that look like a port is there.

This is the first time we've seen this high-resolution shots of this area of the mule, the last time we witnessed it, it was inconclusive (left), middle is the new photo and right is the opposite side "charge port" area showing clear cutout:

model_x_mule_charge_ports.jpg

Already last time when the opposite side "charge port" was discussed, someone else (not me) on TMC noted it had been cut out more carefully. Now in the higher resolution image we can see this observation was correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Concerning the depressions seen in the first posted photo; could this be clearance for when the doors and trunk are open?
View attachment 76914
~Larry

Could you clarify which photo? I am missing the "depression". :)

If you are towing it is more work to remove the trailer, back up to a charging stall charge and then get the trailer back on the car.
Some of the SC location it is not a problem if you drive up with front of the car, charges and back out again, and some you can keep on going forward.
Some of the SC locations have a lonly charging stall that you can park on the side.
The cable on the chargers is quite short today, so makes parking with front in not possible.
With charge ports on left and right side, makes everything more flexible.
Moving it to oposite side of the Model S and just keeping one makes some trubble maximising use of SC together with Model S.

Last edited:
If you are towing it is more work to remove the trailer, back up to a charging stall charge and then get the trailer back on the car.
Some of the SC location it is not a problem if you drive up with front of the car, charges and back out again, and some you can keep on going forward.
Some of the SC locations have a lonly SC that you can park on the side.
The cable on the SC is quite short today, so makes parking with front in not possible.
With carge parts on left and right side, makes everything more flexible.
Moving it to oposite side og the Model S and just keeping one makes some trubble maximising use of SC together with Model S.

Indeed, and as we know, that obviously has just been discussed on TMC...

But I think you, sigurdi, are the first one to suggest Model X might have two charge ports (one on each side), plus lengthening of supercharger cables, to help solve the issue of charging with a trailer.

Interesting speculation at least. Who knows what to make of it. :)

And not get me started on charging with dubble capasity.
Using two charge ports at the same time, give the posibility of real Super Charging, but introduce a controlling issue.
The good thing is the ports used today can handle current at 350+A, two of them gives 700A and with a battery that can manage this kind of current the charge time from 0-80% will be realy Nice.
Also test cars do not care about batteri life, consumers and Tesla do. ;-)

And not get me started on charging with dubble capasity.
Using two charge ports at the same time, give the posibility of real Super Charging, but introduce a controlling issue.
The good thing is the ports used today can handle current at 350+A, two of them gives 700A and with a battery that can manage this kind of current the charge time from 0-80% will be realy Nice.
Also test cars do not care about batteri life, consumers and Tesla do. ;-)

That is pretty wild speculation, I wouldn't go as far. :D

I had actually the reverse thought: If there were two charge ports, could that be confusing for the user and how would Tesla make sure only one is used at a time - and how would the user choose which one to open e.g. from the fob...

None of these are issues that couldn't be solved, of course. Just some things that came to mind.

That said, adding a second charging port for trailer-hauling purposes would certainly be a reason for Tesla to do something like that. Not sure we have any reason to believe so, but hey, something odd about the camo on that mule's rear light/charge port fixtures...

Still, so far I guess the most likely end-result is production Model X will have the charge port in the same place as Model S.