Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules show signs of a new spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The latest mule video proves the rear window is not a single piece of glass, but two pieces... That said, we don't know what that means, it could be two static pieces or there could be an active feature...

Another view from the Sightings thread - definitely something protruding in the rear spoiler area. Now, it could just be a fixed piece of glass of course.

The original photos looked like a single piece of glass. The more recent photos still look like a single piece of glass, with some non-glass trim on the lower side. My guess is that there was always a single pane of glass, but the earlier photos were missing the trim.

Either way, you're reading a lot more into these photos than they suggest. There has never been anything in these photos to suggest a spoiler, let alone an active spoiler. Take a deep breath, and walk away from the keyboard for a short break... :smile:

Last edited:
The original photos looked like a single piece of glass. The more recent photos still look like a single piece of glass, with some non-glass trim on the lower side. My guess is that there was always a single pane of glass, but the earlier photos were missing the trim.

Either way, you're reading a lot more into these photos than they suggest. There has never been anything in these photos to suggest a spoiler, let alone an active spoiler. Take a deep breath, and walk away from the keyboard for a short break...

We don't need the condecending tone, we can talk Model X from our unique perspectives with our unique styles. That makes for a rich conversation.

For the umpteenth time, I am not saying there is an active spoiler. I am attempting to catalogue all kinds of changes and areas of interest in Model X mules. Clearly something new (compared to 2012-2013 prototypes) is happening at the rear in this area. I will be the first to admit we don't know what it means.

While it is possible these two latest black mule sightings saw a different rear setup, I think it looks the same mule and same setup, because the light reflects the same in both sightings - the previous sighting was just so low quality it seemed like one piece.

For some reason, the rear lip has a slightly protruding piece of what looks like glass, instead of regular painted metal like on the prototypes.

OK, so finally had a moment to compare the previous black mule sighting that looked like it has a single-part rear glass (which I found to still look like two pieces):

This is the previous sighting:

attachment.php?attachmentid=80173&d=1430857880.jpg

It has the same license plate as the latest sighting, which also from afar looks like a single piece of glass:

model_x_rear_new_1.jpg

But moving closer, we can see it still glares like glass, but is a separate piece on the rear lip/spoiler area:

model_x_rear_new_2.jpg

Whatever that means. It could just be a static piece of glass, it could be camo, it could be something that moves to hide something entirely speculative like an adaptive spoiler or a wildy specualtively window washer of some kind.

model_x_rear_new_3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is Porsche Panamera's glass spoiler, which has a similar small "lip" compared to the rear window:

image_thumb.php?id=1169370&imgid=5&full_size=1.gif

Gwgan said:

Indeed, it could (minus that middle-splitting action which I believe later Panamera's left out).

The earlier images showed what possibly is underneath the top layer, although under camo wrap, see the bottom one:

attachment.php?attachmentid=76027&d=1427464464.jpg

This makes me wonder if there would rather be a smaller, lighter construction, more akin to this - perhaps just hinges on the left and right side and a "piston" pushing the thing open in the middle?

Finally, here is how Audi and BMW does it - plus a later Panamera spoiler (without middle split):

audi-a7-spoiler.jpg

335i-2.jpg

2010-porsche-panamera-s-rear-spoiler-photo-366241-s-1280x782.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I must stress this:

The title of this thread Model X mules show signs of a new spoiler? does not mean to say the mules show signs of an adaptive, rising spoiler!

All it refers to, is that the spoiler lip on the Model X mules is new compared to the Model X prototypes.

It could simply be that a glass piece on this crucial area has been found superior to a metallic trunk lip, by Tesla aero engineers. It could be an immobile piece of exterior trim, absolutely.

We don't need the condescending tone, we can talk Model X from our unique perspectives with our unique styles. That makes for a rich conversation.

For the umpteenth time, I am not saying there is an active spoiler. I am attempting to catalogue all kinds of changes and areas of interest in Model X mules. Clearly something new (compared to 2012-2013 prototypes) is happening at the rear in this area. I will be the first to admit we don't know what it means.

While it is possible these two latest black mule sightings saw a different rear setup, I think it looks the same mule and same setup, because the light reflects the same in both sightings - the previous sighting was just so low quality it seemed like one piece.

For some reason, the rear lip has a slightly protruding piece of what looks like glass, instead of regular painted metal like on the prototypes.

Hey AnxietyRanger, I didn't mean to be condescending. My apologies if you took it that way. I have added a "smiley" to the original post to help convey my attitude at the time of writing it.

Just something to consider: with all the gaps, misalignments and skewed seams on the mules, it makes no sense that a large pane of glass with no apparent seam has a completely separate piece of glass that can move independently of the larger pane. That would mean that the fit and polish of this one area is an order of magnitude higher than the rest of the vehicle. Of course, I'm only referring to the following image:
model_x_rear_2.jpg

The other shots all appear to have trim, and some appear to have a very polished trim. So, this one image seems to stand out to be very different. It could be that the above all glass version is a very specific test mule and all the other versions are either a Mule or a RC.

Maybe that's why the Tesla driver had to apply the brakes when he sped away from the Honda after the turn in that last spy video. Any faster, and he would have risked activating the rear spoiler. :wink:

If it is a spoiler on this or some of the cars, I belive it have to do with the hitch.
What is the benefit of a spoiler, when you have a bicycle, skis on the hitch?

I am looking forward to all the threads when we are hauling all kind of things behind the X and writing about the energy consuption. :)
"I got 350Wh with my boat behind me...." "Wow that is nice, I was hauling my camper and did not manage to get below 450"

Great point sigurdi! It could be a covering for some sort of rack mount attachments. I think this may have been postulated earlier but I will admit that I have been skimming most of Anxiety Rangers posts. ;-)

The idea that the Model X mule rear spoiler area would hide cargo connection points of some kind (if I recall it was speculated to be involved in the ski carrying workaround) has been bounced around, e.g.:

Cargo connection points on Model X mule rear/roof?

However, personally I don't see how that area could be involved in cargo carrying, especially now that there is a piece of glass on top of it - assuming the latest mule shots are anywhere near final. I'm leaning on it being either a static piece of trim or alternatively something that lifts up a little to either act as a spoiler or, more theoretically, to hide a rear window washer.

AnxietyRanger said:
I'm leaning on it being either a static piece of trim
Occam says this and nothing else.
Window ends higher but they want it to visually extend to the end of 'hatch'. Those round recessions are there for chassis production purposes.

Indeed, those round holes may just be where this piece of trim attaches to. I believe static piece is on possibility. That said, in addition to a static piece, the same could be said of a spoiler that lifts up from the rear edge. Make those side attachment holes hinges and put in a simple mechanism to lift the rear of the trim (maybe that hole in the middle) and you have a simple adaptive spoiler.

I'm not sure what Occam says. Having an extraneous piece of glass next to another piece of static glass doesn't seem like the simplest explanation? Why not just make the rear glass longer? Or the trunk metal extend upwards like on the 2012-2013 prototypes? I know there is no proof of an adaptive spoiler or any other active function in this area, but there also hasn't been any good explanations as to why they would put a separate extra piece of glass there. The only idea that a static extra piece of glass there for aero reasons have been summarily dismissed on TMC so far.

The simplest explanation, when we look at competing cars - basically any competing car - is that if there is a separate piece of trim in the rear lip area, one that seemingly extends the rear window or the trunk lip but is separate, there is some chrome detailing or other reason to explain a separate part - or it is an adaptive spoiler. Otherwise the simplest way for manufacturers to tackle this is to either extend the window or extend the trunk metal and this is what most do. Why the extra seams and cost of extra part just to make it static. The simplest way would be to extend one of the adjacent parts instead. No?

Because there is no design detailing to explain a separate part, and indeed the 2012-2013 prototypes extended the trunk lip instead so something deliberate changed here, I'm not sure Occam's razor here couldn't well be an adaptive spoiler. Look at other German premiums with similar shapes near this segment: Audi A7, Porsche Panamera, BMW 3 Series GT - extraneous pieces in the very same area are adaptive spoilers. Looking at them side by side, it isn't hard to buy the idea that Model X could have one too:

model_x_next_to_spoilers.jpg

model_x_rear_8.jpg

Can someone think of any other car with a static extra piece of glass or trim in this area, that isn't explainable by detailing or an adaptive spoiler (or something else that retracts)? Why make it a separate piece, if there is no function to it? I'm not buying that they coulnd't extend the rear glass. Anyone got any good ideas why Tesla might need to use a separate static piece of glass in the rear spoiler area?

Yes, I can accept your reasoning but I'd still like to point out that we may not be looking at final design.
These are all betas and may have some old chasis where tesla experimented with some ideas.

Adaptive spoiler would be cool though
:)

That is absolutely true, of course. These mule(s) may not represent the final car in this regard. Tesla could easily swap a rear glass there for production that extends all the way down, for example.

Also, I'm still interested if someone has an example of a car with a separate static trim piece in this area (that isn't easily explained by some external design detail or mechanism), or other good reason why Tesla might put in a separate static piece in this area.

Whatever that rear lip "trim" on the Model X mules is, I think the best hint of what is underneath comes from the white-clad mule(s) which seem to be missing the top piece (shown in plastic and glass on other mules).

There seems to be three cavities in both top corners of the trim area, and one in the middle top. These are visible from many angles:

model_x_rear_7.jpg

However, less talked, here is an interesting angle on the wrapped Model X mule with light shining on the wrap, again where we assume the rear lip trim is missing entirely (the protruding piece of plastic seen on earlier black and white mules):

model_x_rear_lip_wave.jpg

This side image shows the usual circular cavities, but also it shows the wrap kind of waving in the middle, suggesting the wrap may be stretched over empty space. Camo wrap, especially at speed, would certainly wave when sitting on top of nothing.

Compare to Audi TT - corner cavities could be related to hinges, while the waving area in the middle could be the recession that is left underneath the spoiler piece when it is open:

audi_tt_adaptive_spoiler.jpg

What do you think? Does the wave on the wrap look to you like it is stretched over a large recession?

I think an active spoiler would be really cool! We'll see SOON!

- - - Updated - - -

My point: will it be better fuel consuption numbers if X have a wing, when you are pulling a trailer behind you?
Think this is more importan than better traction at high speed. :)
I suppose that would depend on the trailer. Somehow I doubt it. It might help with a couple bikes on a hitch mount rack though! ;-)