Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X mules show signs of a new spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope there is a really good reason for this and doesn't just add like 3 miles of range. Otherwise it's just more mechanical parts to break.
Another benefit is increased down force at higher velocities, which improves stability and corner performance on freeways.
For example, The Model S feels a bit "wobbly" on the Autobahn, according to what I've read on the German tesla drivers and friends forum.

Great shot of the spoiler from flathillll's video. Thank you!

model_x_spoiler_5.jpg

Looking at why Porsche Panamera have a aktive spoiler, came across this:
"The spoiler deploys at 56 mph to a position of -3 degrees for reduced drag and improved fuel economy. At 127 mph, it changes the angle to 10 degrees for performance-optimized downforce—nearly 15 pounds at 155 mph, Porsche claims."
Source: 2010 Porsche Panamera: In-Depth Look at Key Technologies - Car News - Car and Driver
The car waigths from 3950 (RWD) to 4450 (4WD) pounds, why the effort for only 15 pounds downforce at 155mph?
If the spoiler on X gives 30 pounds downforce (se discussion on Model X Mule Sighting), it is the dubble than on Panamera. ;-)
I guess it is for getting better milage and less snow stuck on the skis, when cracy Norwegian mounts their ski rack (with 10 pair if skis) in the hitch, and drive up into the mountains to go skiiing.

Great shot of the spoiler from flathillll's video. Thank you!

attachment.php?attachmentid=88183&d=1437524388.jpg

What is interesting about that shot and this old image of mine:

attachment.php?attachmentid=80176&d=1430860194.jpg

Is that just like I speculated, it seems indeed the glass-looking spoiler is sitting on top of another piece of glass - if you look at the above image to the left, it looks like the rear glass extends underneath the spoiler (or airfoil) and when closed these two pieces sit on top of each other looking somewhat like one long piece of glass, with a small lip. The black area in the image seems to be merely a shadow, not a black area underneath the opened up spoiler.

Hard to say, but it certainly looks like Tesla might be going for a much cleaner design for the upwards spoiler than some of the competition listed on this thread. Whether this is for looks or for aero, I don't know.

Looking at why Porsche Panamera have a aktive spoiler, came across this:
"The spoiler deploys at 56 mph to a position of -3 degrees for reduced drag and improved fuel economy. At 127 mph, it changes the angle to 10 degrees for performance-optimized downforce—nearly 15 pounds at 155 mph, Porsche claims."
Source: 2010 Porsche Panamera: In-Depth Look at Key Technologies - Car News - Car and Driver
The car waigths from 3950 (RWD) to 4450 (4WD) pounds, why the effort for only 15 pounds downforce at 155mph?
If the spoiler on X gives 30 pounds downforce (se discussion on Model X Mule Sighting), it is the dubble than on Panamera. ;-)
I guess it is for getting better milage and less snow stuck on the skis, when cracy Norwegian mounts their ski rack (with 10 pair if skis) in the hitch, and drive up into the mountains to go skiiing.

I think that tells you the spoiler on the Porsche is purely cosmetic. To give you an idea, the carbon fiber rear spoiler on a Dodge Viper ACR produces 1000lbs of downforce at 150mph allowing it to pull up to 1.5 gs at high speed. Not something you would ever consider trying in the Panamera.

Source: First mass-produced CFRP wing helps supercar achieve downforce and lateral acceleration values superior to many GT racing cars.

I think that tells you the spoiler on the Porsche is purely cosmetic. To give you an idea, the carbon fiber rear spoiler on a Dodge Viper ACR produces 1000lbs of downforce at 150mph allowing it to pull up to 1.5 gs at high speed. Not something you would ever consider trying in the Panamera.

Source: First mass-produced CFRP wing helps supercar achieve downforce and lateral acceleration values superior to many GT racing cars.
Just because it doesn't produce 1000 lbs of downforce doesn't make it "purely cosmetic". Did you miss the part about reducing drag?

The 1080P version on YouTube really lets you get a good look (definitely a youngish woman driving, IMO). The passenger dude looks amused and maybe a little annoyed. :)

The notch under the trunk door -- is that a taped-off area with a little exposed or some other permanent fixture?

And what's with the notches on the trunk door next to the camoed rear lights -- is that more camo on lights, or supposed to be just a light-bar?

Tesla Model X First Delivery Ceremony: New Levels Of Luxury And Performance - Watch
Model X comes standard with an active spoiler that automatically adjusts to three positions for maximum visibility and efficiency. Under 45 mph, the spoiler is positioned so the driver can see above and below it. At higher speeds the spoiler partially retracts for improved highway efficiency (+1.6%), and optimizes the vehicle’s lift distribution. Model X is the only car with an active spoiler equipped with a center-high-mounted stop lamp (CHMSL).
I only actually recall two positions but above gives MPH diffs.