Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X needs a safety upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXLRplus

Mar 11, 2020
Eastvale, CA
1) When backing, it can be very difficult to get the rear camera on if it turns off. It won't work by voice command, you must select the camera icon to make it work.

2) There is no pedestrian alert when backing.

I nearly ran over a runner just now. He was not visible when I put it in reverse then checked the mirrors. I had set the car to Low Suspension to wash it, and I forgot to set it to standard for our driveway so I had to pull up a menu from the console. When you have another app open, it closes the rear camera and doesn't turn it back on. There is not cross traffic alert. No rear pedestrian alert.

OK, 100% my fault, just like it would be in a 1968 VW beetle. However the rest of my 2015+ cars will keep the camera on, and will warn me of cross traffic, and pedestrians, and one even slams on the brakes if something is behind you. Perfect storm: The suspension setting is not a button, it's the same as the backup camera screen. I'm used to backup cameras. I'm used to cross traffic alert. Runner was pretty fast. I was trying to force the camera to come on instead of driving the car.

This is such a simple fix. Don't turn off the rear camera in R. Don't disable it if another app launches.

Best fix is to add cross traffic logic to the cameras like other cars.

“Rear camera on” doesn’t work for you?
Tesla changed this back in January of 2019 and I alerted them immediately. They said they were going to fix it and today it has not been addressed.

Anytime the car is in reverse it should ONLY show the rear camera. Touching anything will cause the camera to go away. That is a safety issue.

I would suggest anyone who thinks this is not appropriate to email Tesla and alert them about this safety issue.

Reactions: croman and am_dmd
As I tell my kiddo that’s learning to drive. If anything in the car isn’t as you expect (or need), stop what your doing put in in park (safely of course) to give the car and yourself a new look at the situation. This is in her leaf.

easiest way to get the backup camera on is to put it back in park and then again in reverse.

Reactions: croman
As I tell my kiddo that’s learning to drive. If anything in the car isn’t as you expect (or need), stop what your doing put in in park (safely of course) to give the car and yourself a new look at the situation. This is in her leaf.

easiest way to get the backup camera on is to put it back in park and then again in reverse.

Correct. And if you are not familiar with the car you are in, look in the glove box for the owner's manual and read it.

You do understand that this problem is 100% unique to the Tesla brand?

I already said it's my fault for expecting it to work like other cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
Correct. And if you are not familiar with the car you are in, look in the glove box for the owner's manual and read it.

I do understand. I also have an S and a 3. I’m not sure why people mess with the controls while in reverse - that’s how accidents happen. I agree with your perspective that the camera should be locked on - but that would get its own series of complaints from the people trying to fiddle in reverse.

Pop it in park and then reverse. Camera back.

On my 2019 Model X (Raven), all I need to do is press the microphone button and say “Camera On” or “Camera Off” and the camera view onscreen appears or disappears exactly as it should. I just went out to the driveway to confirm this as I usually don’t say “Camera On” while in reverse because it generally is always on while reversing.

Before adding a rear view mirror rear camera monitor two weeks ago (which I now use in place of the crappy rear view mirror), I used to say “Rear Camera On” or “Show Rear Camera” or “Camera On” multiple times per day while driving because the rear view would get covered exactly as you describe.

I just confirmed that irregardless of what’s onscreen - I can actually be in the process of raising or lowering the suspension - simply saying “Camera On” displays the view from the built in rear camera.

I am on 2020.12.11.1. It also worked on 2020.12.6 and 2020.12.5 and 2020.8.2.

Good luck!

Reactions: VikH

I DO wish that I could look in the glove compartment for a manual to read. Some things are MUCH easier to read in hand compared to onscreen. I’ve printed it out to read at my leisure, but it’s way too big to fit in the glove compartment.

Ironically, the first day I had the car, I went to read the manual from the car's MCU and it crashed. Luckily I knew how to reboot it already. :D

The backup camera glitch is modal. I just tested and had it fail several times in a row. So I went to make a video. First it failed several times, then I gave it the camera command. It failed one more time, then it started working like normal. The whole screen is filled with nothing but the camera and the ultrasonic sensors. This is the mode it's supposed to be in when you're in reverse. But if it decides to lock you out, PARK will have no effect. You have to get it to reset.

Re: backup camera - I'm actually ok being able to hide it.
Re: pedestrian alert when backing - I don't think there are sensors to do it for runners/cross-traffic - cameras aren't looking sideways, and parking sensors don't have that range.
My wife’s Sienna minivan has rear cross traffic sensors and it’s a life saver. It’s awesome in parking lots.

I’ve almost backed over 2 people in my Model X already. People running behind the car as I backed up.

Reactions: MXLRplus
Re: backup camera - I'm actually ok being able to hide it.
Re: pedestrian alert when backing - I don't think there are sensors to do it for runners/cross-traffic - cameras aren't looking sideways, and parking sensors don't have that range.

I'm not hiding the rear camera. The car decides when to hide it in reverse, not the driver.

Yes, you have always been able to turn off the rear camera on command. That's not the issue.

The side cameras point to the sides. They see a little better than the driver or mirrors can, why not use it? In my case I would have seen the runner with either side or rear camera. But not mirrors.

$25,000 cars have this and all 2020 EVs that I know of have it. Except Tesla.

I simply don't see the advantage to having a 2010 car.

I'm not hiding the rear camera. The car decides when to hide it in reverse, not the driver.

Yes, you have always been able to turn off the rear camera on command. That's not the issue.

The side cameras point to the sides. They see a little better than the driver or mirrors can, why not use it? In my case I would have seen the runner with either side or rear camera. But not mirrors.

$25,000 cars have this and all 2020 EVs that I know of have it. Except Tesla.

I simply don't see the advantage to having a 2010 car.

Yeah unfortunately with Tesla you have to take the good with the bad, especially on the software side. All of their non-AP software is quite bad IMO, either missing basic functionality or outright not working. Spotify for example has been broken for years. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting an update any time soon for this basic feature.

Yeah unfortunately with Tesla you have to take the good with the bad, especially on the software side. All of their non-AP software is quite bad IMO, either missing basic functionality or outright not working. Spotify for example has been broken for years. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting an update any time soon for this basic feature.

Most the little bugs that I find are simple fixes. A hour of coding, then some testing. But the sheer number of them is wild.

Now you know why there is no Referral Program for bug reports... :D

I guess FSD vehicle will never need to reverse so no cross traffic alert :p
Even our Hyundai has this feature and it works amazingly well. Wait it's Tesla so they have to reinvent the wheel :rolleyes:. Same for blind spot monitoring...
AFAIK rear camera worked perfectly fine during v8 days. I am even willing to pay to revert back to v8 instead of MCU2.

Reactions: MXLRplus
I’ve almost backed over 2 people in my Model X already. People running behind the car as I backed up.

I partially blame this on GM making the stupid decision to illuminate the backup lights when the SUV isn’t in reverse. Unlock the car - backup lights come on.

the lights can no longer be used as a universal stay out of the indicator.