Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X needs a safety upgrade.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My backup camera is always on even when In drive. I can’t see out my rear view mirror. The tint is too dark (had it tinted right after delivery) and also it being a hatchback. When you turn the rear camera on manually it will always be on even after you toggle between other screens and go back to the Nav screen. One thing for sure is you can’t trust the camera without constantly looking over your shoulders for pedestrians, most people walking by look with their ears and not with their eyes. No one hears you coming!

My backup camera is always on even when In drive. I can’t see out my rear view mirror. The tint is too dark (had it tinted right after delivery) and also it being a hatchback. When you turn the rear camera on manually it will always be on even after you toggle between other screens and go back to the Nav screen. One thing for sure is you can’t trust the camera without constantly looking over your shoulders for pedestrians, most people walking by look with their ears and not with their eyes. No one hears you coming!

Not mine. Congrats. Mine has an intermittent bug where it locks the rear camera out. Apparently I'm not alone.
It does not do it every time. But it should never turn off the camera by itself when you are moving in reverse. Some kid will get squashed somewhere.

I nearly ran over a runner just now. He was not visible when I put it in reverse then checked the mirrors. I had set the car to Low Suspension to wash it, and I forgot to set it to standard for our driveway so I had to pull up a menu from the console. When you have another app open, it closes the rear camera and doesn't turn it back on. There is not cross traffic alert. No rear pedestrian alert.

You'll need to be more specific as to what is happening. So you opened up the Settings menu while you were reversing and left the Settings menu open? Yes, this will block the rear view camera and is normal operation.

Certain operations will close the rear view camera "window". For example, if you use the voice command for navigating, this will close the rear camera.

In my BMW, if I hit the menu button while reversing, the rear camera disappears. I have to hit the camera button again to view it.

You'll need to be more specific as to what is happening. So you opened up the Settings menu while you were reversing and left the Settings menu open? Yes, this will block the rear view camera and is normal operation.

Certain operations will close the rear view camera "window". For example, if you use the voice command for navigating, this will close the rear camera.

In my BMW, if I hit the menu button while reversing, the rear camera disappears. I have to hit the camera button again to view it.

There are two rear camera ON modes:
1) Full Screen, top half is camera, bottom is ultrasonic
2) "App" window, this is about 1/3 the screen, and will sometimes close when you launch another app.

Mode #1 is what R gear is supposed to present. You can close it if you like in the upper left X.
Mode #2 can be activated in any gear. If it will let you.

If you park the car in Mode #2, then Mode #2 will present next time you drive it. However, if you launch another app that closes #2, a voice command will not necessarily launch it. Shifting to Park or stopping won't fix it.

So for some people like me, who use the rear camera in #2 while driving, I have to remember to close the #2 window manually before parking, otherwise, there is a big risk you will not be able to put into either Mode #1 or #2 easily.

If BMW has the same problem, I haven't seen yet. GM, Ford, Audi, MB, JLR, Hyundai don't have this problem. When you shift them into reverse, it always defaults into rear camera mode at first. You must deliberately close it to make it go away in reverse.

I'll post a video I took of it soon. It's a bug not a feature. When you first enter the car, and put it in R, it should ALWAYS present the Rear Camera to start with.

If you park the car in Mode #2, then Mode #2 will present next time you drive it. However, if you launch another app that closes #2, a voice command will not necessarily launch it. Shifting to Park or stopping won't fix it.

So for some people like me, who use the rear camera in #2 while driving, I have to remember to close the #2 window manually before parking, otherwise, there is a big risk you will not be able to put into either Mode #1 or #2 easily.

I still don't fully understand what is happening here, but it definitely sounds like a bug. No matter what screen or app is showing on my car, when I switch from P to R, the rear camera always displays. Additionally, I always keep the rear camera up on screen while driving and have not had issues.

Since this is a software glitch (not normal operation) with your car, the thread title does not fit. Shouldn't it be referencing this bug to see if anyone else has it?

Reactions: croman and Soey22
1) When backing, it can be very difficult to get the rear camera on if it turns off. It won't work by voice command, you must select the camera icon to make it work.

2) There is no pedestrian alert when backing.

I nearly ran over a runner just now. He was not visible when I put it in reverse then checked the mirrors. I had set the car to Low Suspension to wash it, and I forgot to set it to standard for our driveway so I had to pull up a menu from the console. When you have another app open, it closes the rear camera and doesn't turn it back on. There is not cross traffic alert. No rear pedestrian alert.

OK, 100% my fault, just like it would be in a 1968 VW beetle. However the rest of my 2015+ cars will keep the camera on, and will warn me of cross traffic, and pedestrians, and one even slams on the brakes if something is behind you. Perfect storm: The suspension setting is not a button, it's the same as the backup camera screen. I'm used to backup cameras. I'm used to cross traffic alert. Runner was pretty fast. I was trying to force the camera to come on instead of driving the car.

This is such a simple fix. Don't turn off the rear camera in R. Don't disable it if another app launches.

Best fix is to add cross traffic logic to the cameras like other cars.
AGREE 100%