TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Needs Same Rear Camera Mirror That Chevy Bolt is Getting

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mikevbf, Sep 20, 2016.

1. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

Scroll to the bottom of the link below on Chevy's Bolt page. I much prefer this solution to having to use the center screen for rear viability. Is there a good after market solution to accomplish this on the Model X?

2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet

• Love x 1
  2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#2 scottf200, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    And the same rear view mirror (switchable to LCD full rear display or a normal mirror)!

(I can't believe people would waste 1/2 of their Tesla 17" screen on a rear view like is the excuse I've heard. I have much more things of it to display).

the bolt mirror going from standard to 80 degree camera
    view with flip of a button on the bottom of mirror.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/YSvhOdb.png

[​IMG]

Here is the rear view in a 7 seat Tesla Model X. Presumably the 3 or Y will have rear seat headrest too ;)

Image: http://i.imgur.com/Ah5eGmB.png
    [​IMG]

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

There was much pre-release speculation in the "speculation" threads on the X that it would get this mirror. Even after the release on Sept. 30 especially with the picture of the X in the snow with the skis and boards on the rack on Tesla's own X page that shows, what looks like, a high center mount camera. It is kinda disappointing.

My rear view doesn't look like that though as I got 6 seats and the rear 2 stay folded most of the time.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Me too. One of the (many) reasons I got the 6 seat is the better rear view.

5. Ormond

Ormond Member

Cadillac is offering this mirror currently. It's a great idea. It may be a GM exclusive.:(

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I do that when I can but many do have 7 seaters and that middle seat headrest takes up quite a bit of room.

7. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

This is not GM-exclusive tech. Gentek has been making these mirrors for some time. Check out the discussion on previous threads.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I understand. Not sure why I pointed that out. Maybe to make the point that not all X's have the rear view issues a 7 seater with the rear seats up have.

9. Stasla

Stasla Member

And around view would be great for all cars, please! I'd pay for that option. Seeing the sides and front from inside the car makes parking in tight spots a breeze. Had it on my ginormous Infiniti QX56 and loved it.

• Like x 1
  10. Tam

Tam Active Member

I am not quite understand how a big rear view display on a 17" screen in a Tesla is not good enough but a tiny display from "Rear Camera Mirror" is somehow better?

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

So what I hear you saying is that you don't like the faces of the people you ferry? ;)

• Funny x 2
  12. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The 17" screen is below the window line, so you have to look down to see the rear image and take your view away from the road.

The rear-view mirror is much higher, and hence you can still use your peripheral vision to see the road while looking at the mirror. It's much more safe.

• Like x 2
  13. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

There is an all-around view with obstacles represented by a "cloud" surrounding the vehicle, including distance measurements to those obstacles. Some would argue that the distance information is more informative than just a birds-eye view.

14. Tam

Tam Active Member

Thanks. I understand perfectly now. I would also like one please :)

• Like x 1
  15. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

Except when you are trying to see the lines of a parking spot... The around view camera system is the only thing I miss from my previous cars. All of them had had it since 2009...

Chris

16. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I forgot about Perigon auto right in Silicon Valley. I tried to fund them through kickstarter and even started a thread asking other
    Model X owners to join, but they did not get enough funding. Tesla could partner with them.

17. Stasla

Stasla Member

Or see how close you are to the curb, when parallel parking... helps avoid sidewall and rim curb rash, especially on the front tires/rims.

• Like x 1
  18. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Don't forget all the speculation last fall when one of the Model X mules was identified as being inside at a Gentex location and then nothing came of it.:(

19. NathanWolf

NathanWolf Member

Ok, that is really cool. Actually, the Bolt really seems to have a lot going for it.

I am very happy to finally see some decent competition, let's get the technology race going!

• Like x 1
  20. mhan00

mhan00 Member

It's pretty shocking to me that Tesla hasn't added surround view for the S or X yet. It seems like a no brainer for such big cars.

• Like x 2