Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Needs Same Rear Camera Mirror That Chevy Bolt is Getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the same rear view mirror (switchable to LCD full rear display or a normal mirror)!

(I can't believe people would waste 1/2 of their Tesla 17" screen on a rear view like is the excuse I've heard. I have much more things of it to display).

the bolt mirror going from standard to 80 degree camera
view with flip of a button on the bottom of mirror.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/YSvhOdb.png

YSvhOdb.png

Here is the rear view in a 7 seat Tesla Model X. Presumably the 3 or Y will have rear seat headrest too ;)

Image: http://i.imgur.com/Ah5eGmB.png
Ah5eGmB.png

Last edited:
There was much pre-release speculation in the "speculation" threads on the X that it would get this mirror. Even after the release on Sept. 30 especially with the picture of the X in the snow with the skis and boards on the rack on Tesla's own X page that shows, what looks like, a high center mount camera. It is kinda disappointing.

My rear view doesn't look like that though as I got 6 seats and the rear 2 stay folded most of the time.

Scroll to the bottom of the link below on Chevy's Bolt page. I much prefer this solution to having to use the center screen for rear viability. Is there a good after market solution to accomplish this on the Model X?

2017 Bolt EV: All-Electric Vehicle | Chevrolet
And around view would be great for all cars, please! I'd pay for that option. Seeing the sides and front from inside the car makes parking in tight spots a breeze. Had it on my ginormous Infiniti QX56 and loved it.

Reactions: BrettH
I am not quite understand how a big rear view display on a 17" screen in a Tesla is not good enough but a tiny display from "Rear Camera Mirror" is somehow better?
The 17" screen is below the window line, so you have to look down to see the rear image and take your view away from the road.

The rear-view mirror is much higher, and hence you can still use your peripheral vision to see the road while looking at the mirror. It's much more safe.

And around view would be great for all cars, please! I'd pay for that option. Seeing the sides and front from inside the car makes parking in tight spots a breeze. Had it on my ginormous Infiniti QX56 and loved it.
There is an all-around view with obstacles represented by a "cloud" surrounding the vehicle, including distance measurements to those obstacles. Some would argue that the distance information is more informative than just a birds-eye view.

There is an all-around view with obstacles represented by a "cloud" surrounding the vehicle, including distance measurements to those obstacles. Some would argue that the distance information is more informative than just a birds-eye view.

Except when you are trying to see the lines of a parking spot... The around view camera system is the only thing I miss from my previous cars. All of them had had it since 2009...

Chris

It's pretty shocking to me that Tesla hasn't added surround view for the S or X yet. It seems like a no brainer for such big cars.