Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X New Rear Tires Need Replacement After Only 7,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Service Center did a free alignment & we are ordering new rear tires. I think this is the result of towing a trailer for over 500 miles.
grand consideration...the towing...especially in the mountains, like we did with our x... align yearly as a preventive--
Our x had 3k miles about 800miles towing from ID to CO...and we were leaking from wear past the steel belts--YIKES.
FYI--Alignment takes place at the Tesla dealership....balancing and replacement of tires via tire tech on the road--
GET YOUR ALIGNMENT every time you replace tires or at least annually for Teslas.

grand consideration...the towing...especially in the mountains, like we did with our x... align yearly as a preventive--
Our x had 3k miles about 800miles towing from ID to CO...and we were leaking from wear past the steel belts--YIKES.
FYI--Alignment takes place at the Tesla dealership....balancing and replacement of tires via tire tech on the road--
GET YOUR ALIGNMENT every time you replace tires or at least annually for Teslas.

no need to get an alignment when you buy new tires unless you suspect your alignment is out of spec, ie, you hit something or don't have a known baseline.

not sure what you mean by "balancing and replacement of tires via tire tech on the road"

The biggest contributing factor to rear tire wear is excessive camber and toe. And depending on the ride height in which you drive your X in, tire wear increases. When Tesla aligns these cars, they only align them in Standard height. But if you have your suspensions setting default to Low, then extra camber and toe are immediately introduced. Tesla will not align your car in any other height but Standard and even if they were willing, the X has no rear camber adjustments, only a small amount of toe adjustments.

I highly recommend the N2itive camber and toe arms. I have them installed on my Raven along with their lowering links and my rear camber and toe is set perfectly now all while riding in a height equal to 'Very Low' on the screen.

Here are some images.

8B833550-19BD-4CB7-9543-E01CF9AF047F_1_105_c.jpeg
2CF8B063-93EE-432F-8ED4-85D2B43BC878_1_105_c.jpeg
7DF6E122-912D-4A97-88ED-772BD10860EC_1_105_c.jpeg
E1C748B1-154D-4A33-A6BD-596304017B98_1_105_c.jpeg
9EFDDA13-3370-4DC7-AA8D-8F706AE2CCDD_1_105_c.jpeg

I am getting a little over 25K miles per set of rear tires (fronts go twice as long as rears, so changed them at 50K) There is a lot of negative camber; the car weighs a lot; and the power is immense. I doubt it has anything to do with alignment (the negative camber is by design...) Nexen N Feras at Walmart are my choice.
My 75D got 27K miles on all 4 stock 20" Contis
My 100D at 23K miles: stock 20" Contis front tires 1/32nds and rear tires 5/32nds. SC replaced front tires only. Just another data point.

i need to check the factory alignment and see where my toe sits at. there is approx +/- 3mm of toe. i'll check camber once i finish machining an adapter. more concerned about toe, than camber. i run neg camber on my porsche and am not worried about tire wear. toe is really the killer here.

@TeeeeeeDub what are you doing with your factory parts? i wouldn't mind measuring them if you were up for it

i need to check the factory alignment and see where my toe sits at. there is approx +/- 3mm of toe. i'll check camber once i finish machining an adapter. more concerned about toe, than camber. i run neg camber on my porsche and am not worried about tire wear. toe is really the killer here.

@TeeeeeeDub what are you doing with your factory parts? i wouldn't mind measuring them if you were up for it
I'm keeping them. If you'd like, I can measure them for you. Just let me know what measurements you're looking for.

yes I just had to buy two new tires for the back these are the original tires that came with the car and I only have 12,500 miles on those tires and the inner tread worn all the way to the metal.
i’m really thinking about that n2itive modification if that’ll save me from buying $500 worth of tires every 12,000 miles