Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Next Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 3rd Tesla (13 Model S, 17 Model S, and 16 Model X).

The model X was an early VIN <1500 and getting long in the tooth. I am thinking about a new Model X and very familiar with Tesla’s continuous improvement philosophy (not necessarily aligned to Model year).

That being said, I’m wondering if there are any substantiated rumors of a Model X refresh (cosmetic and otherwise) so I can time the next Model X purchase accordingly?

thanks

Most likely complete redesign will be with production ready 4680 cells. So probably nothing till late 2022 at the earliest. I don't see Tesla redesigning the X before the 4680 cells are readily available. No point to do so. Keep the current design and just incremental improvements till 2022. I would imagine realistically a 2023 product, because they'll want all the 4680 cells to go into the CT and Semi first.

-ThinkMac-

Yes, a complete redesign should come in the next 2 years. Porshe and others are already knocking on Tesla's door all-electric Cayenne wil be a direct competitor to the MX.
My prediction is the redesign will come with a price increase also... maybe a big one.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
New interior design like model 3 changes coming in Q1, 2021. Dont ask me how i know.

If the Model X gets a refresh to be like the Model 3 interior, that guarantees I won't buy another one. I don't think I'll ever buy a vehicle without a binnacle screen. There needs to be interior features that distinguish the S and X from the 3 and Y to justify the much higher price tag.

Last edited:
I can't see this mattering much. The whole vehicle paradigm is different with Tesla - upgrades and updates are becoming less and less significant as cars become more like phones (which, BTW, people upgrade much less frequently than they used to). I just ordered an X for December delivery and I really care what updates it has. Nice to have the latest batter pack, but do I need it? Not really.

My '16 ventilated seats really doesn't do much cooling. I can feel a bit of air movement, but that's about it. But then again, I'm in California, so I probably won't need/use it much.

Ventilated seats in my European cars are something else, works great.

-ThinkMac-

It would be really cool (literally) if Tesla would go back to offering ventilated seats. It's essential for hot climates like Hawai'i and Florida and really makes the interior look more sophisticated.

Just got my VIN. So picking up soon. When it comes to anything tech (as with our Teslas), you just have to be happy with what you're getting at the time of purchase. There'll always be something newer/better around the corner. What's to say your get the new interior and 6 months down the road, it's got another boost in range, or new infotainment options, 5G cellular data, etc... You can never win. If you keep waiting, you'll never end up with one. You can have your X now, and have another totally new one in 4 years. Win-win-win.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: jnericks
My '16 ventilated seats really doesn't do much cooling. I can feel a bit of air movement, but that's about it. But then again, I'm in California, so I probably won't need/use it much.

Ventilated seats in my European cars are something else, works great.

-ThinkMac-

Ah, I've heard that. Note we have the 2nd generation ventilated seats which have a different perforation pattern and more air flow. I will tell you that it does remove trapped hot air and keeps you cool. It is much hotter and more humid here in Hawai'i. I do notice is feels cool when sitting on the seat. It also adds some sophistication to the interior of the vehicle

New interior design like model 3 changes coming in Q1, 2021. Dont ask me how i know.
If so, I will have to see it before I get a replacement Model X in May 2021 when the lease is up. If they make it like our Model 3 with the single display I will likely select a different car. The only exception to that would be to put in a HUD so I can still see basic functions while looking straight ahead like I can on my current X

Reactions: DoctorVenkman
Predicting the next major refresh has been a guessing game forever on these forums. Seems like nobody outside Tesla had been able to accurately predict when it will happen.

Smooth nose on the Model S and Raven upgrade for Model X seem to be the closest to a "refresh" that has released.

Imagine that the new Plaid Model will have some visual/physical changes that will trickle down to the base model over time.

Reactions: AvengerBB
Count me in the minority who would actually welcome a simplistic interior (similar to the MY) on the model X. I welcome the interior going the futuristic route to match the technology in the car. Plus, it seems as though Tesla likes to have parts that are shared by all of its cars. I could see the model x keeping a traditional display above the steering wheel to differentiate it from the other models.