Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.

Model X noise poll

Does you Model X have noise and has it been fixed by SC if yes?

• My Model X is completely without noise/rattle/squeak

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • My model X has some noise/rattle/squeak but it was fixed by service center

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • My Model X has noise/rattle/squeak but service center thinks it’s within spec or they couldn’t fix

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • My Model X has noise/rattle/squeak but not going to repair it

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters
Suffering from severe rattle and squeaky noise in Model X 2022. SC has been telling me this is a characteristic of the car.

Seen many people on this forum suffering from similar issue, while some claims that their car is silent. So I want to learn the ratio.

Seems like we are rolling the dice when buying this 130K luxury vehicle. For me this noise issue as well as bad service center experience (Horrible service center experience for model X) has ruined my new car excitement completely. This will be my last Tesla if they can’t improve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: coco135

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
You need to add one for "I repaired the door squeaks myself". That is what I did. A little cleaning and Gummi Plegge on the FWD seals took care of any squeak in those doors over even pavement in about 10 minutes. However, it still makes noise over uneven pavement because of structural design. Likely due to the FWDs create a large unbonded area that would be part of the structure on a more conventional car. An S, Y or 3 makes much less noise in these areas.

FWIW, I don't think any X is "silent". Even when aligned properly they have too large gaps in the doors seams to not create some amount of wind noise. BMW and Mercedes are much tighter. Also, Tesla use many pounds less sound deadening material than other brands, opting for less weight. Some YouTubers installed more if you want to see where and what to install.

Reactions: coco135
I forgot that option! Too late to edit now.

I actually applied a similar fix for my own FWD by applying WD40.

Yes it does immediately fix the squeaky noise from FWD. but two weeks later the noise came back. I guess it’s not eradicated.

Moreover there is another rattle sounds which are not improved by WD40 in the car. It’s a different type of noise.

The problem is that it is pointless to take the car to Tesla because of rattles, they are not going to find them in a hurry. They just don't care enough anymore. These days it's almost all about making money and showing customer the middle finger after the delivery.
I took mine in for a rattle and they fixed it, however I did the legwork of figuring out exactly where the rattle was coming from and how to reproduce the rattle without even driving, so I think that helped a lot. They ended up replacing the entire 3rd row of seat backs.

I took mine in for a rattle and they fixed it, however I did the legwork of figuring out exactly where the rattle was coming from and how to reproduce the rattle without even driving, so I think that helped a lot. They ended up replacing the entire 3rd row of seat backs.
I did the same. I even pointed out to technician that 'squeeze here and the rattle goes away' but no. The car came back with the exact same rattle as it doesn't happen everywhere, all the time.

I had a lot of problems in 2018 and they bent over backwards to make them right. We’ll see how it goes this time but they usually are pretty good about fixing the problems and being patient in my exp.
My experience with my 2 new Tesla in 2021 and 2022 are the exact opposite of what you said.

They basically said everything is within spec and it is a characteristic of these 6 figure cars. Every one is built like this and they said I won’t be able to find two identical cars in their garage..

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC