Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noise poll

Does you Model X have noise and has it been fixed by SC if yes?

• My Model X is completely without noise/rattle/squeak

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • My model X has some noise/rattle/squeak but it was fixed by service center

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • My Model X has noise/rattle/squeak but service center thinks it’s within spec or they couldn’t fix

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • My Model X has noise/rattle/squeak but not going to repair it

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I acquired a preowned 2022 Model X LR about 3 weeks ago with 17k miles on it. The OEM Pirelli Scorpions were heavily worn and noisy, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s. These tires are if anything even noisier; I can hear them even when backing out of the driveway. I got a 4 wheel alignment at the Tesla SC last week as well. Nevertheless, my interior noise level is 83-85 decibels at 65 mph. It's terrible. There is also a lot of wind noise, particularly from near the driver's mirror. The FWDs are poorly aligned in all dimensions with FWD door glass protruding outward versus front door glass, not closing level with the front doors or rear quarter panels, etc. I think the first owner just never brought up any of this (Tesla obviously gets away with it most of the time). So, it's obvious where a lot of the wind noise is coming from considering the outside of the vehicle isn't smooth, but the tire noise and vibration is as bad or worse than on my 2015 GMC Sierra pickup. I don't know if these Michelins are just inherently noisy, or whether I somehow got a defective set (seems farfetched), or whether there is just no sound insulation in the front of a Model X, or whether there is supposed to be, but they forgot to install it (anything seems possible). I'm not even sure where to start. If I take it back to Discount Tire to complain about the tire noise, they will just tell me there's nothing wrong with the tires, but if I take it to Tesla, they will blame the tires. I already have a service appt set for the FWD alignment problem, which the SC deferred to the Tesla body shop, so that won't happen until early May (earliest appt available). What's so annoying is the vehicle accelerates and handles so magnificently and the interior is so much nicer than my Model 3 I traded in, but this X is far noisier than the 3 even and it's hard for me to enjoy driving it when it's SO noisy and harsh on anything but glass smooth pavement.

Has anybody ordered aftermarket frunk/door gaskets you find advertised? I wonder if that would do any good.

Thanks for listening!
The noise is definitely hit-or-miss on these posts. I have a 2022 MXP and it is very quiet. Had a 2020 MS prior to the X and the S was far noisier. I previously drove a 2017 BMW 7 series so I would compare the X noise level to be on par with that.

I acquired a preowned 2022 Model X LR about 3 weeks ago with 17k miles on it. The OEM Pirelli Scorpions were heavily worn and noisy, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s. These tires are if anything even noisier; I can hear them even when backing out of the driveway. I got a 4 wheel alignment at the Tesla SC last week as well. Nevertheless, my interior noise level is 83-85 decibels at 65 mph. It's terrible. There is also a lot of wind noise, particularly from near the driver's mirror. The FWDs are poorly aligned in all dimensions with FWD door glass protruding outward versus front door glass, not closing level with the front doors or rear quarter panels, etc. I think the first owner just never brought up any of this (Tesla obviously gets away with it most of the time). So, it's obvious where a lot of the wind noise is coming from considering the outside of the vehicle isn't smooth, but the tire noise and vibration is as bad or worse than on my 2015 GMC Sierra pickup. I don't know if these Michelins are just inherently noisy, or whether I somehow got a defective set (seems farfetched), or whether there is just no sound insulation in the front of a Model X, or whether there is supposed to be, but they forgot to install it (anything seems possible). I'm not even sure where to start. If I take it back to Discount Tire to complain about the tire noise, they will just tell me there's nothing wrong with the tires, but if I take it to Tesla, they will blame the tires. I already have a service appt set for the FWD alignment problem, which the SC deferred to the Tesla body shop, so that won't happen until early May (earliest appt available). What's so annoying is the vehicle accelerates and handles so magnificently and the interior is so much nicer than my Model 3 I traded in, but this X is far noisier than the 3 even and it's hard for me to enjoy driving it when it's SO noisy and harsh on anything but glass smooth pavement.

Has anybody ordered aftermarket frunk/door gaskets you find advertised? I wonder if that would do any good.

Thanks for listening!
I can’t image any decibel over 65 is normal for the re-freshed Model X. My Land Cruiser decibel at 75mph is 58-60db and I’m running 34” Revo3 A/T tires. I test drove the MYP and it was plenty quiet for me, so I would hope the new MX would be even quieter. Correct? Test driving one April 1

Last edited:
I have not used aftermarket door seals; although, I've often thought about giving it a try. There is obvious road noise coming from the drivers door of my 2022 Model X. I get to hear everything...the tires on the road, passing vehicles, every imaginable noise one might expect with the window slightly ajar (which it isn't). I may take a trip to our local parts store to see what they have available.

I have to agree with you...our 2021 MY is much quieter than our 2022 MX. I enjoy driving the MY much more than the MX too...it's more responsive, easier to drive and just feels better (oh, and the MY has a sun visor that actually works!). I regret buying the MX, I lost a ton of money on the purchase and its not a quality drive as the MY. If, I purchase another Tesla, it won't be the MX...likely another MY.

Im assuming it has to do with the big panoramic window and the winged doors. Because those are really the only differences right? Does the Y also have the same kind of doors w/ that same kind of stupid triangle window thing?

Only reason I traded in my 16 to the 23 was because I was under the impression that they had made improvements in noise and comfort. Bull crap. Fasle advertising ! They did nothing!

All I did was get ripped off

I'm 2.5 years in, and spend many words on here making fun of Tesla, so I feel like my perspective is useful.

I fixed my wind noise problem (myself, jammed something in the driver's 1/4 window trim between the door card and the trim) and it has now been replaced with some sort of intermittent weather seal squeak from the hatch. Hooray - mileage is 34,000 and counting. I have to wonder if just replacing all the seals would make it better, or oh so very much worse

Y is boomy inside compared to X, at least it was on the ones I drove back to back, but wind and road noise were about the same to me. Reminded me of the noise you'd hear in older Volvo wagons over some roads, some sort of resonance with the big open space and the front/rear noises I suppose. X probably doesn't seal up well enough to have any sort of pressure wave form inside it lol

Of course this is also ignoring the three shuddering/clicking axles that have been replaced so far, the creaking/clicking replaced front suspension arms, and the creaking rear axle/upright/bearing interface that had to be lubricated by the SC because they don't do that at the factory. But that's mechanical not things like the basic Fisher Price My First Window Assembly coachbuilding issues like we're talking about in here

But overall, it's still a very quiet and relaxed car to drive, just wind-noisy. Part of that is it's just a tall vehicle. But mostly, it's everything you ever wanted from buying a heavy old German luxury car, available brand new without all the annoying craigslist shopping, or the check engine lights!

I have to say, this car has me in the grip of Stockholm (Fremont?) syndrome. It's ridiculous at best, it's in many ways objectively bad, but once you get to know it, you start to love it, and even believe it might love you back. It definitely has character and one of the main character traits is "millenium falcon but in a bad way". Every time I think about shopping for its replacement I end up looking at used X's.

Last edited:
I fixed my wind noise problem (myself, jammed something in the driver's 1/4 window trim between the door card and the trim) and it has now been replaced with some sort of intermittent weather seal squeak from the hatch. Hooray - mileage is 34,000 and counting. I have to wonder if just replacing all the seals would make it better, or oh so very much worse

Y is boomy inside compared to X, at least it was on the ones I drove back to back, but wind and road noise were about the same to me. Reminded me of the noise you'd hear in older Volvo wagons over some roads, some sort of resonance with the big open space and the front/rear noises I suppose. X probably doesn't seal up well enough to have any sort of pressure wave form inside it lol

I had the same issue with the Y I test drove. Boomy and strange pressure on my ears (maybe it seals too well!). Also, the ride was pretty harsh compared to the X.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
I'm 2.5 years in, and spend many words on here making fun of Tesla, so I feel like my perspective is useful.

Of course this is also ignoring the three shuddering/clicking axles that have been replaced so far, the creaking/clicking replaced front suspension arms, and the creaking rear axle/upright/bearing interface that had to be lubricated by the SC because they don't do that at the factory. But that's mechanical not things like the basic Fisher Price My First Window Assembly coachbuilding issues like we're talking about in here

But overall, it's still a very quiet and relaxed car to drive, just wind-noisy. Part of that is it's just a tall vehicle. But mostly, it's everything you ever wanted from buying a heavy old German luxury car, available brand new without all the annoying craigslist shopping, or the check engine lights!

I have to say, this car has me in the grip of Stockholm (Fremont?) syndrome. It's ridiculous at best, it's in many ways objectively bad, but once you get to know it, you start to love it, and even believe it might love you back. It definitely has character and one of the main character traits is "millenium falcon but in a bad way". Every time I think about shopping for its replacement I end up looking at used X's.

Are u able to post a photo of where your wind noise was mostly coming from and your fix?
Thanks

Update: Discount Tire offers a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires today with the OEM spec Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season, Tesla spec tire with PNCS/Elect (Pirelli Noise Canceling System, Electric vehicle specification). These have the noise canceling foam. They are TREMENDOUSLY quieter. Like night and day. The low frequency hum and vibration of the Michelins is gone. These also seem to soak up the thud and sound of expansion strips, etc much more effectively. The set cost $500 more than the Michelin tires, but is well worth it. I have always been a fan of Michelin tires, but I can attest that this particular tire on a 2022 Model X with 22" wheels is a total no-go. I need more time to test, but the Wh/mi also dropped noticeably, apparently by about 10-15%.

Decibel X app on my iPhone shows mid to high 60s at 70 mph on the Pirellis, and was about 75 dB with the Michelins.