Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noise poll

Does you Model X have noise and has it been fixed by SC if yes?

• My Model X is completely without noise/rattle/squeak

Votes: 32 43.2%
  • My model X has some noise/rattle/squeak but it was fixed by service center

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • My Model X has noise/rattle/squeak but service center thinks it’s within spec or they couldn’t fix

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • My Model X has noise/rattle/squeak but not going to repair it

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suffering from severe rattle and squeaky noise in Model X 2022. SC has been telling me this is a characteristic of the car.

Seen many people on this forum suffering from similar issue, while some claims that their car is silent. So I want to learn the ratio.

Seems like we are rolling the dice when buying this 130K luxury vehicle. For me this noise issue as well as bad service center experience (Horrible service center experience for model X) has ruined my new car excitement completely. This will be my last Tesla if they can’t improve it.

Last edited:
You need to add one for "I repaired the door squeaks myself". That is what I did. A little cleaning and Gummi Plegge on the FWD seals took care of any squeak in those doors over even pavement in about 10 minutes. However, it still makes noise over uneven pavement because of structural design. Likely due to the FWDs create a large unbonded area that would be part of the structure on a more conventional car. An S, Y or 3 makes much less noise in these areas.

FWIW, I don't think any X is "silent". Even when aligned properly they have too large gaps in the doors seams to not create some amount of wind noise. BMW and Mercedes are much tighter. Also, Tesla use many pounds less sound deadening material than other brands, opting for less weight. Some YouTubers installed more if you want to see where and what to install.

I forgot that option! Too late to edit now.

I actually applied a similar fix for my own FWD by applying WD40.

Yes it does immediately fix the squeaky noise from FWD. but two weeks later the noise came back. I guess it’s not eradicated.

Moreover there is another rattle sounds which are not improved by WD40 in the car. It’s a different type of noise.

The problem is that it is pointless to take the car to Tesla because of rattles, they are not going to find them in a hurry. They just don't care enough anymore. These days it's almost all about making money and showing customer the middle finger after the delivery.

Reactions: coco135
The problem is that it is pointless to take the car to Tesla because of rattles, they are not going to find them in a hurry. They just don't care enough anymore. These days it's almost all about making money and showing customer the middle finger after the delivery.
I took mine in for a rattle and they fixed it, however I did the legwork of figuring out exactly where the rattle was coming from and how to reproduce the rattle without even driving, so I think that helped a lot. They ended up replacing the entire 3rd row of seat backs.

I took mine in for a rattle and they fixed it, however I did the legwork of figuring out exactly where the rattle was coming from and how to reproduce the rattle without even driving, so I think that helped a lot. They ended up replacing the entire 3rd row of seat backs.
I did the same. I even pointed out to technician that 'squeeze here and the rattle goes away' but no. The car came back with the exact same rattle as it doesn't happen everywhere, all the time.

I had a lot of problems in 2018 and they bent over backwards to make them right. We’ll see how it goes this time but they usually are pretty good about fixing the problems and being patient in my exp.
My experience with my 2 new Tesla in 2021 and 2022 are the exact opposite of what you said.

They basically said everything is within spec and it is a characteristic of these 6 figure cars. Every one is built like this and they said I won’t be able to find two identical cars in their garage..

I have a 2021 Model Y and a 2022 Model X Plaid...the Model Y is MUCH QUIETER than the Model X. The noise coming from the drivers door is so loud I hear everything outside. When I sit on the passenger side it's quiet. Also the road noise when driving is louder than our Model Y. I don't know why the Model X is supposed to be so much better but it isn't. I'm seriously considering trading in my MX for another MY and be done with the annoyance.

My '22 Refresh MX originally had a rattling type sound from both FWDs, however after lubing the seals it's now bona fide noise free. This is from someone who hunted down rattles in my previous Lexus by obsessively driving over a rough stretch of road with sound system off, windows up, AC off, etc for a cumulative 10+ hours. The MX definitely can be noise free, i.e. no rattles, squeaks, or excessive wind and road noise but it's definitely a crap-shoot.

I acquired a preowned 2022 Model X LR about 3 weeks ago with 17k miles on it. The OEM Pirelli Scorpions were heavily worn and noisy, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s. These tires are if anything even noisier; I can hear them even when backing out of the driveway. I got a 4 wheel alignment at the Tesla SC last week as well. Nevertheless, my interior noise level is 83-85 decibels at 65 mph. It's terrible. There is also a lot of wind noise, particularly from near the driver's mirror. The FWDs are poorly aligned in all dimensions with FWD door glass protruding outward versus front door glass, not closing level with the front doors or rear quarter panels, etc. I think the first owner just never brought up any of this (Tesla obviously gets away with it most of the time). So, it's obvious where a lot of the wind noise is coming from considering the outside of the vehicle isn't smooth, but the tire noise and vibration is as bad or worse than on my 2015 GMC Sierra pickup. I don't know if these Michelins are just inherently noisy, or whether I somehow got a defective set (seems farfetched), or whether there is just no sound insulation in the front of a Model X, or whether there is supposed to be, but they forgot to install it (anything seems possible). I'm not even sure where to start. If I take it back to Discount Tire to complain about the tire noise, they will just tell me there's nothing wrong with the tires, but if I take it to Tesla, they will blame the tires. I already have a service appt set for the FWD alignment problem, which the SC deferred to the Tesla body shop, so that won't happen until early May (earliest appt available). What's so annoying is the vehicle accelerates and handles so magnificently and the interior is so much nicer than my Model 3 I traded in, but this X is far noisier than the 3 even and it's hard for me to enjoy driving it when it's SO noisy and harsh on anything but glass smooth pavement.

Has anybody ordered aftermarket frunk/door gaskets you find advertised? I wonder if that would do any good.

Thanks for listening!