TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Non Staggered setup

Discussion in 'Model X' started by detdds, Apr 29, 2019.

1. detdds

detdds Member

Has anyone tried 20 X 9 inch slipstreams with 275 /45 R20 on front and rear.

According to my calculations this should work for as a non staggered setup for model x

The 275 / 45R 20 tire will not fit on the front if mounted on the original 9.5 inch rear slipstream wheel but it will fit mounted on the stock 9 inch front slipstreams.

With the 275s on all wheels the load requirements are met and the tires are able to be rotated for mileage warranty

• Disagree x 1
  2. detdds

detdds Member

Does anyone know if this would work

3. LukasSwan

LukasSwan Member

I own 2 pairs of the 9in rims too. Was thinking I would go non staggered too. Was planning to use 265/50-20 though.
    Why don't you use 265/45-20?

4. natethegreat

natethegreat Member

Yes, this works. FYI it is still slightly staggered due to wider rims on the back.

I run Michelin x-ice like this in winter. It is beefy and wide with big tread and it doesn’t rub. Speedo shows 1 mph higher than actual.

5. detdds

detdds Member

I wanted to use 275 /45 to meet the load requirements for the rear. The 265 / 50 may work as well I haven’t looked that size up. The 9 inch seems to be the way to go all around

6. detdds

detdds Member

It will not be staggered if you replace the 9.5 inch rear wheels with 9 inch wheels like the front

7. detdds

detdds Member

The 265/50-20 is wider and larger in diameter than the 275/45-20.

8. TonyT3sla

TonyT3sla New Member

detdds, I'm running exactly what you asked in your original post. 20 x 9 inch rims from TSportline all the way around and 275/45R-20 Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires from TireRack. This setup works well. I have 21K miles on the tires now and have been rotating them every 6-8K miles. Here's what the car looks like. IMG_4046.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. onlinespending

Any discernible difference in range?

10. TonyT3sla

TonyT3sla New Member

I don't have much data on this. I drove for 15K miles on the staggered stock configuration, then swapped. I didn't monitor range too closely. We also then went into winter (in DC) where weather impacts range. I've driven quite a bit, up and down the east coast from DC to Orlando, or to Nashville, and up to NY, etc. Haven't felt there was much decrease. Although, I'm toying with the idea of going 265/45 R20 all the way around for my next set to see if there are any appreciable differences. I don't have calipers, so can't measure exactly, but putting the Stock wheels/tires side by side, don't see a huge difference in width. On the left (265/45 R20) and on the right is the rear (275/45 R20). IMG_5181e.jpg

11. TonyT3sla

TonyT3sla New Member

Another view.

Attached Files:

12. detdds

detdds Member

Thanks for the picture. How many miles so far your tires?

13. detdds

detdds Member

I meant to ask how much tread do you have left on your tires? Sorry

14. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Tesla does sell a factory square setup for the X - the 19" winter tire package. Everything else including the 20" winter package is staggered.

15. BenP

BenP Member

Thinking of doing the exact same setup with winter tires. 9x20 all the way around with 275/45r20 winter tires. Has anyone else done this configuration? Any issues or recommendations?