Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X not “shutting down”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having some issues with our 2016 Model X (on 2020.20.1) : cooling fan and HVAC still running after I leave the car, doors not closing, and touchscreen completely dark.

This happened after a reset of the MCU (press on both scroll wheels for 10s) that needed to happen after some Bluetooth / MCU issues.

I am mostly worried about bricking the battery since it’s slowly draining.

The car can still be driven but with no backup camera, controls and chimes it’s a little daunting.

I tried all the resets I could find but the MCU doesn’t seem to respond to any of that (I can get the center display to reset).

Any ideas on how to physically turn the power off to force a reboot ? Disconnect the 12v battery ?

The earliest appointment I could get is Wednesday and I am a little worried about leaving the fan running for 4 days straight — and not being able to use the car (!).

...I am mostly worried about bricking the battery since it’s slowly draining...

As long as you can charge your car, your batteries should be fine although it's a waste of energy and money to run HVAC with no one there to enjoy it.

If you can no longer recharge your car, your 12V battery will be sacrificed first to preserve your main battery.

When your main battery is down to 20% without driving, the HVAC and other functions (Sentry) will start to shut down.

So, I wouldn't worry about your main battery goes bad in this unfortunate service problem.

Reactions: npvisual
Times like these it’s nice when you a have friend in mobile tech. These type of problems can remotely be checked out. The few times I reached out it was resolved within the hour. The tech forced my car to reinstall firmware. This was back in 2019, can’t complain much in 2020 since I haven’t driven around much.

Times like these it’s nice when you a have friend in mobile tech. These type of problems can remotely be checked out. The few times I reached out it was resolved within the hour. The tech forced my car to reinstall firmware. This was back in 2019, can’t complain much in 2020 since I haven’t driven around much.

Yeah, not even sure they can access the car remotely. The app itself can’t connect to the car.

Sounds like your mcu is failing. Check my poll post. My screen started acting up and then a few weeks later it died.

funny how yours is a 2016.

we are going to see a lot of these posts in next few months as the mcu seems to have a 4 year lifespan before crashing.

• Informative
Reactions: npvisual
How many miles left that you last remember that your battery still got?

First thing first, can you charge your car so that your main battery won't be depleted down to 20%?

Was able to leave it outside the garage and use the charger to plug it in a 110v outlet. Lost about 10% battery yesterday. But that should keep it afloat until I figure something out.

thanks for the suggestion.

Sounds like your mcu is failing. Check my poll post. My screen started acting up and then a few weeks later it died.

funny how yours is a 2016.

we are going to see a lot of these posts in next few months as the mcu seems to have a 4 year lifespan before crashing.

Yeah. I actually had a service appointment for August to change the MCU after I kept having issues with Bluetooth, sound and slow starting car.

I initially thought it had to do with a bad firmware upgrade with 2020.15.2. But then 2020.16.2.1 seem to resolve all those issues... until 2020.20.1 came around and everything went south. Tesla indicated they thought the MCU was in need of a replacement.

Well, I guess it didn’t feel like waiting until August

Quick update.

Got an email late last night for an appointment to the Service Center.

Was able to start the car this morning (reboot of the instrument cluster as the car was non-responsive to a break pedal press) and drove it down to the SC this morning. Drive was interesting...

Looks like they will be replacing the MCU with the same model (MCU1) — that’s not great but if warranty covers it, I’ll take it. Asked about MCU2 upgrade and if that was an option. Wasn’t offered an opportunity to upgrade...

Another update : the SC replaced the MCU. Same model (Tegra) but different part number apparently. When I asked if that issue was fixed on the new part, the answer was fairly vague.

Of course all profile data, stations, etc. were lost. But that's an easy fix. Would be nice if all that data could be backed up somehow by the car owner before performing those kinds of repairs.

The car was still under warranty (cutting it close) so they replaced it for free. I asked again if there was a "cheaper" upgrade path to the MCU2 since they were already working on replacing the unit, but I was told no, it would still be ~ $2,500.

Overall I was pretty pleased with how fast the SC offered to take the car in and how quickly they fixed it.

Well, I was hoping that the infotainment glitches would stop after the MCU1 replacement, but that's not happening. We've had a few issues (music not working, side passenger airbag icon popping-up, no connectivity, etc.). However today was a little more concerning...

Infotainment screen was blank after parking the car for 10 min (was working ok before, though Spotify had been showing a couple of "Loading Error" yesterday), and it took me about 5 min to reboot the MCU. Seemed like it was stuck for a while but after 3 tries the 2-wheel reboot finally worked.

Currently on 2020.36.3.1.

BlankScreen.jpg

I know... the screen needs some cleaning up !