TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X not being shown until delivery

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MaxK, Feb 11, 2015.

1. MaxK

MaxK Member

Not gong to show it util it is delivered!!!!!!!!

WOW ! ! ! ! ! !

2. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

Just announced on the conference call, due to enhanced/special features that people do not yet know about. I cannot begin to imagine what features would necessitate delivery before reveal. Cory Johnson in the passenger seat??? Any other ideas?!

3. Clprenz

Clprenz Member

"Self-driving"- that is my #1 guess. Elon has always said they will lead in the market- anything later than this year will be done/announced my MB next year. Not really sure about other features.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

#4 markb1, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    How can it not be shown until delivery? People have to select their options. Or will Tesla just say "It will be $XXXXXX. Trust us."

5. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

are we sure that this was not a mis-speak? Certainly design, colors, and options will have to be revealed. But it doesn't sound like they are planning on an early roll-out months before initial deliveries.

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

To me this just means that they will not reveal anything other than a deliverable Model X. So once that is available you will be able to see one and finalize your order.

7. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

#7 Twiddler, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    But Elon did say it was going to be this way because of a special, un-announced feature that the vehicle has, which will necessitate it being delivered before a reveal. This was specifically stated when asked if there was going to be a reveal, to which he replied no. I am just as shocked as you. I imagine that there may be a secret reveal for the founder's edition (to make sure they still want the car), then opening the design studio when Founder #1 is delivered?

His statement was clear, which is why this is no perplexing. I cannot think of a feature so secret that the vehicle cannot even be viewed until its first delivery. Maybe this is paybacks for the Unveil the D fiasco

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This was a special request from Bonnie to Elon. It's going to make moderating this section sooooo much easier. ;-)

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Dammit, Nigel. We weren't supposed to talk about that publicly.

10. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Suspected this was going to be the case. MS betas were out and about for people to see and drive in a few years ago. MX betas, as we know, are already out and have been for some time. The RCs were folks' only hope at catching a glimpse of the near final version.

11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Musk said the different features are "intentionally obtuse" as to why. Whatever that means.

12. robby

robby Member

My bet: the delayed unveiling is a way to buy more time for NHTSA to approve side cameras. They wouldn't want to show that and not ship it, and at the same time, if they think they have a shot at it, it's worth delaying the unveiling to be able to showcase it.

13. bluenation

bluenation Member

hmm, maybe they'll actually release a good looking X? as opposed to the one we've all seen...

14. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

This thread should be renamed to "Model X features not being shown until delivery."

I happen to have heard it as "some cool features" but apparently some heard it as "all features." Either way, that title would be technically correct.

15. robby

robby Member

The quote was:

Question: "Is there going to be any sort of advanced [...] showing of it [...] ahead of the launch that we should be looking forward to?"
    Musk: "You know, because there are these different features that I mentioned -- I'm being sort of intentionally obtuse -- we're not going to show it until it gets delivered."

16. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Going back and listening to the call again, at 46:30 the specific question leading up to this was "Is there going to be, you know, any advanced showings of it at any auto shows ahead of the launch?" The answer, as you quoted, is no.

That said, they've got to have a reveal some time before deliveries, otherwise what will they show in the configurator?

I think what they're saying is no one is going to get to touch, drive, or get close to a Model X at a car show before launch because of the "other things about the X people don't know about yet" but that doesn't mean they won't have a controlled reveal of their own well before launch so people know what they're configuring.

17. ITSELE

ITSELE Member

I believe that the Model X reveal is being held up because of new battery technology. If outed too early the current backlog of 10,000 Model S orders would be diminished and many orders would wait for the new battery to be added to the Model S in the fall of 2015 (remember, no changes until then). Imagine if TODAY Tesla showed us the new Model X with the 100 kWh battery (or 20% lighter battery). The Model S85D would have a 350 mile range (yes, I did the math). The P85D could have a 0-60 in 2.8 seconds (a pure guess) and beat the Corvette Z06.

Side view cameras, improved processor, LTE, etc would also trickle down to the Model S. Everything but the Falcon Wing Doors.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

This. In Q2. Mid--Q2.

19. Anzir

Anzir Member

3 months... I can handle that wait.

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

What about this as an unrevealed X "feature" that will come standard: the X side mirror housings contain a tiny video camera on the outer edge and the mirrors can be folded flat by the driver when at speed to reduce drag but the video camera still works and displays its image in the center display or perhaps in an extra large rear view mirror.

That way the federal law requiring conventional side view mirrors is followed (all X cars will be delivered with the side mirrors) but at speed the advantage of using low-drag video cameras is possible.

And at X release in mid-summer this same feature will suddenly appear on the S as well. Unannounced.

Remember, you read it here first :)