Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X not being shown until delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said that Tesla would not reveal the X this year prior to the first customer deliveries and that the X had "features" that the public did not know about.

I believe Elon said it wouldn't be revealed until it is delivered but I don't think he said specifically 'customer deliveries'. That means his definition of delivered could mean several things.

There's just no way to deliver the car without a reveal, because people with reservations are going to want to configure options and color beforehand. The extra stuff will be a bonus.

Sure there is. They can configure the car online and view paint and interior color samples in the Tesla showrooms or on a Model S. I suspect that the X will launch with the same color palette as is available on the S, or if there are new colors coming they will be available on the S a few months before the X launch.

But the online X configurator will not reveal the "secret" standard features that Elon has mentioned. And once the X launches the online X configurator will be changed to show the secret features, as they will no longer be a secret.

Signatures can choose colors? I thought it has a unique color and is fully equipped.

So they could deliver the first 100 and then open for standard configurations and after the reveal, produce the other 2000+ Sigs.

Or perhaps give the Sig-holders some things to choose, but without showing anything. I can't imagine that there would be much cancelations in the group of enthusiasts because of that way of handling it.

Don't get me wrong, I only wanted to show that there are ways they couldn start deliver and reveal at the same time, but that doesn't mean I hope it will go like this.

Or perhaps give the Sig-holders some things to choose, but without showing anything. I can't imagine that there would be much cancelations in the group of enthusiasts because of that way of handling it.

Don't get me wrong, I only wanted to show that there are ways they couldn start deliver and reveal at the same time, but that doesn't mean I hope it will go like this.

I don't think it would be a good idea for Tesla to do this, because many people paying 100k+ for a car are going to want to know what the exterior and interior look like, and if the interior features meet their needs.

From a competitive standpoint, I think it makes no difference if Tesla shows styling and options a month or two before delivery starts. It takes years to design and plan for production of a car, so even if competitors wanted to copy some stuff they would still be years behind.

Signatures come with pre-selected options/features. I believe a unique color as well. Of Course reservation holders can cancel if they elect not to buy the car and get their deposit refunded.

Imagine Tesla invites the lowest 200 Signature holders and have the 200-300 Signature Series cars built and ready for delivery or shipment (some may not be able to attend). If some of the Signature Holders elect to cancel, so be it. The remaining Signature holders can elect to drive home, or ship their car to their Service Center. Immediately following the Signature reveal, they release the "unknown things" pictures to all. Then it is only a matter of fulfillment of Signatures to each Geo as orders are confirmed. The great "unwashed" normal reservation holders will follow by selecting options in the Design Center.

This is one scenario that may work, I would imagine everyone can come up with others. This isn't difficult to keep under wraps until delivery. The Signature Series holders make it very possible.

Last edited:
This is one scenario that may work, I would imagine everyone can come up with others. This isn't difficult to keep under wraps until delivery. The Signature Series holders make it very possible.

There's one major problem with this: reservation holders who cancel at reveal because of something minor like a color choice or interior option, but still want a Model X, will then have to re-reserve, which could put them at the back of the line (well into 2016). Tesla could get around this by putting them in the front of the line for general production, but that might make some people on the general production wait list upset.

It is (1) bad customer service to keep buyers in the dark about exactly what they are buying (2) useless from a competitive standpoint, because any design features would take years for other companies to emulate, given the long cycle of designing and producing a car and (3) needlessly complicated. Reveal event -> Design studio -> Ship.

I don't expect Tesla to seriously keep the entire car under wraps until deliveries start. Is there any good reason for this? I think it's a stupid idea and I would say this to Elon's face if he really wanted to go ahead with it (hypothetically, because based on the conf. call I don't believe he meant that the whole vehicle would be kept secret, just certain features).

Alternatively:

Tesla could release a configurator on its website, but have it password protected and accessible only to Sig series reserve holders. That way, the first customers could be assured of the vehicle config that they want, without details being made public.

However, this again begs the question of why secrecy is necessary. It seems pointless.

Occam's razor... The 'deliveries' could simply be made to all the galleries/service centers for test drives etc. pre order... then reservation holders can do our thing. Let's hope they can crank out close to the 800 per week mentioned in the earnings call starting 9/22 and get to #6xxx by year end. Geez, this reminds me of the draft # lottery (but in reverse) back in the early 70's... not that I want to date myself!

Not sure on the Signature holders being able to "reject" due to color or cost. Not a Model S owner, so I defer to those who were around then if Tesla sets a precedent. My thinking was simply that Signature Holders who plunked down $40K three year ago can afford the fully loaded Model X and want the uniqueness of having a limited edition Model X color. Again, not sure of the precedent of Signature Holder forgoing and design their own. There can be arguments for both.

Many Model S sig holders were unhappy about the limited color selection (smallfootprint is almost correct: we could choose from Sig Red, Black, Pearl White, and Silver). Tesla only limited the colors to reduce complexity and allow them to get early cars out quicker. Sig Red was offered as a choice only on sigs, and a lot of people chose it, but it was not required.

I believe Tesla will once again offer a sig-only color for the Model X. But they already have a paint shop running, in fact one that they recently updated. Not only do I suspect all colors will be available to Sig Model X buyers, they may even offer some new ones.

I am not an X reservation holder, and I certainly do not know what I am talking about. Here is something that Tesla might consider in their plans for the Model X:

They might decide to manufacture a modest quantity--let's say 1,500 vehicles--to produce some finished goods inventory. These will be manufactured first before orders are taken on-line and the customers are placed into the production queue. They (the cars, not the customers) might even be stashed in a clandestine location at their facility. There will be an assortment of colors and options within these vehicles. The early reservation holders will be given first crack at taking a car from inventory, thereby receiving their car two weeks or less after order. Since there are 20,000 reservation holders, it is likely that most of the finished goods will be able to be sold within a month or two. These "inventory" cars will be off the books by year-end, so they won't be a drag on earnings or cash flow.

Maybe this is a silly idea, but acceleration of delivery can be a good thing for those who have been on pins and needles for three years. And it also might provide data to Tesla to see which options are popular and which less so (as in the case of the disappearing Lacewood trim which we got in our S85.)

This.

This is, I believe, the single greatest factor in understanding Tesla that nobody really gets. There isn't a business case you can study in business school about production constrained businesses (or at least, I haven't been able to think of one). [..] It's .. unique.

Nonsense. It's not at all uncommon, even in one of the largest industries in existence: airplane manufacturing. Boeing is reported to have a backlog of 5100 aircraft worth nearly $400 billion, and Airbus has a backlog of 5559 aircraft.

$400 billion. $400 BILLION. Tesla's backlog is chump change by comparison. Boeing and Airbus would each take about 7 years to get through that backlog at current production rates.

With Epic Backlogs at Boeing and Airbus, Can Business Be Too Good? - Businessweek

After seeing the beta's appearance with little visual change, I'm wondering if the X will now come with 4 wheel drive, being one of those "special features" remarked in the conference call, as it would be one of those things we can't see until its revealed by Tesla. It would also back up those claims about the turning circle being equal to a mini.

After seeing the beta's appearance with little visual change, I'm wondering if the X will now come with 4 wheel drive, being one of those "special features" remarked in the conference call, as it would be one of those things we can't see until its revealed by Tesla. It would also back up those claims about the turning circle being equal to a mini.
If you mean each wheel powered by its own motor, this is highly doubtful as the whole reason for bringing dual motor Model S to market before Model X was to provide real-world testing for the Model X drive train. I'd expect it to be exactly the same.

I'm guessing you mean 4 wheel steering. This would allow for a significantly reduced turning radius at slow speeds, and add stability at high speeds for things like lane changes. No idea if this will be on the Model X though.... Can't wait for more info about it!

I am not an X reservation holder, and I certainly do not know what I am talking about. Here is something that Tesla might consider in their plans for the Model X:

They might decide to manufacture a modest quantity--let's say 1,500 vehicles--to produce some finished goods inventory. These will be manufactured first before orders are taken on-line and the customers are placed into the production queue. They (the cars, not the customers) might even be stashed in a clandestine location at their facility. There will be an assortment of colors and options within these vehicles. The early reservation holders will be given first crack at taking a car from inventory, thereby receiving their car two weeks or less after order. Since there are 20,000 reservation holders, it is likely that most of the finished goods will be able to be sold within a month or two. These "inventory" cars will be off the books by year-end, so they won't be a drag on earnings or cash flow.

Maybe this is a silly idea, but acceleration of delivery can be a good thing for those who have been on pins and needles for three years. And it also might provide data to Tesla to see which options are popular and which less so (as in the case of the disappearing Lacewood trim which we got in our S85.)

There would be little incentive, if any, for Tesla to do this.

Right off the bat it looks like they will be able to produce 700-800 of the Model X per week. 1,500 is only a two week supply. You might as well have customers pick exactly what they want. Working on such tight margins, Tesla would hate to carry inventory trying to find the right buyer.

There is also no financial incentive to do this. Demand is great the production limits and the cars can be sold as they roll out of the factory. No need to wait on collecting the revenue.

Now if they wanted to sell two weeks of vehicles and then wait a couple weeks to continue production, I would be ok with that. This small group would basically be testing the vehicles to make sure the Model X was ready for mass production. Although I don't even think Tesla would roll out that many vehicles without being 100% certain they were ready for mass production.

I'm guessing you mean 4 wheel steering. This would allow for a significantly reduced turning radius at slow speeds, and add stability at high speeds for things like lane changes. No idea if this will be on the Model X though.... Can't wait for more info about it!
4 wheel steering on the X would mean a major hardware redesign and higher production costs. No compelling reason for Tesla to include that feature given almost 20,000 people have already put down serious cash for a vehicle that has not been described as having that feature.