Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a counterpoint, we have a March 2016 VIN 15xx X 90D and love it. No major issues (just a faulty ultrasonic sensor shortly after delivery, and suspension repair for acceleration shutter recently). Ventilated seats. Active spoiler. Alcantara dash. Real leather. Retrofitted switches and latches. Yes, would have liked to get the new falcon door sensors but after getting bopped on the head a few times the first month we’ve learned where to stand. ;)

Do the new sensors only keep you from getting bopped on the head - or do they do anything else ?

I have often wondered if the edge of FWD could poke someone in the eye if the weren’t paying attention, or do they all have sensors to account for that?

Also:
  1. Powered raising/lowering of the seatbelt height adjusters
  2. MCU2
  3. Ventilated sears which came, then left and now they’re sorta back
  4. Discontinuation of certain wheel choices
When was the mcu2 added? And what are the main differences between it and mcu1?

I have a aug 17 MS and the mcu seems ok in that. Would it have mcu2 or 1 do you think based on the production date it would be like the one in a late 16 x?

Do the new sensors only keep you from getting bopped on the head - or do they do anything else ?

I have often wondered if the edge of FWD could poke someone in the eye if the weren’t paying attention, or do they all have sensors to account for that?

Yes, can definitely poke someone in the eye. Only open and close the doors when everyone is paying attention.

Reactions: Kacey Green

The sensors just detect object under the door (they are inside the speaker grill). Sometimes it wouldn't move it all when object is detected, and sometimes it closes an inch before detecting something. Either way it'll resume closing within 3 or 4 seconds if the object doesn't move away, otherwise it'd produce a "fault" beep and remain opened.

There's no way the sensors can prevent someone from bumping into the door corners.

As a counterpoint, we have a March 2016 VIN 15xx X 90D and love it. No major issues (just a faulty ultrasonic sensor shortly after delivery, and suspension repair for acceleration shutter recently). Ventilated seats. Active spoiler. Alcantara dash. Real leather. Retrofitted switches and latches. Yes, would have liked to get the new falcon door sensors but after getting bopped on the head a few times the first month we’ve learned where to stand. ;)
I am with @commasign on our March 2016 90D (our cars came off the line at about the same time and are sister cars). The only thing I would trade out from my car to a new one is the 100 kWh battery. Everything else I either had fixed at no charge or would be a downgrade IMHO. Our car was loaded (even with a few features I was not supposed to get) minus the P.

I am with @commasign on our March 2016 90D (our cars came off the line at about the same time and are sister cars). The only thing I would trade out from my car to a new one is the 100 kWh battery. Everything else I either had fixed at no charge or would be a downgrade IMHO. Our car was loaded (even with a few features I was not supposed to get) minus the P.

I even recently added red brake calipers (powdercoated but looks just like the real thing). Agree, 100kWh would be nice. Wish they would offer it as a retrofit option.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcook4590
How big a difference would you say there is with it as compared to the first one ? Just faster or anything else ?
The new MCU has an Intel professor that is quite fast compared to MCU1, and it can also connect to 5GHz WiFi networks.

My Model X was one of the last ones (if not the very last) to roll-off the assembly line with MCU1. I was disappointed at first, but now I don’t mind, since the differences aren’t too significant.

How big a difference would you say there is with it as compared to the first one ? Just faster or anything else ?
First off MCU2 appeared in mid March. First production in early March. I know because my car was built in the last few days of February with MCU1. So, I was at first devastated to discover I’d just missed out. But I find I’m not at all aggravated by any lag in control response. If MCU2 is in fact faster (and I do not doubt that it is), the difference does not matter to me. And thought it would matter.

As for the web browser, one of the recent firmware updates speeded up the MCU1 browser to slow but tolerable for a range of useful websites. If you can’t use it to order your next Tesla, so what? YMMV.

My Model X was one of the last ones (if not the very last) to roll-off the assembly line with MCU1. I was disappointed at first, but now I don’t mind, since the differences aren’t too significant.

Software 2018.18 and newer made a big difference in UI responsiveness for MCU1. The lag is significantly reduced to the point that I will probably skip the MCU2 retrofit. Browser still isn't on par with current smartphones and tablets, but rest of the UI feels very snappy now. App switching is fast. Rear view camera pops up instantly. Map refresh rate significantly increased, silky smooth even when rotating. Media player icons scroll up and down and left and right with faster refresh as well. This is amazing considering the hardware is circa 2011. The software team deserves a big bonus for all the optimizations they've done.

MCU 2 seems to be really buggy now ..I don’t mind MCU1 actually I thought I was one of last to get built that way lol ..only thing I would be pissed about is if the MCU2 can connect to 5G cell networks ..that happened on my P85D was one of the last to get 3G and spent $500 to get LTE upgrade

Software 2018.18 and newer made a big difference in UI responsiveness for MCU1. The software team deserves a big bonus for all the optimizations they've done.

Ive noticed a significant improvement with the software update in my MS, but I do find the map outputting a bit slow when using maps/nav.

For those who have tried the MCU1 on the latest software, and the MCU2 - is the new MCU like using the latest iPhone X in terms of speed for mapping display ? (as that is primarily where Im seeing the lag)

Yes they used to be all glossy now flat

The chrome ones were the moveable seats on the 7 seaters from the older cars. New ones are fixed post.

I should also mention they moved the c pillar back a little to give 3rd row more space

Are you saying the non chrome ones can't be moved forward and backward at all on 5 and 7 seaters - or only in the 7 seaters ?

Please elaborate on the C-pillar movement, as I haven't been able to notice anything different on the design visually from the outside.

You need to drive more! :) We have 40k on our April '16 X and it sat at a body shop for 2.5 months. It has had it's fair share of issues, but none that have rendered it undriveable. The only one that was close was the passenger front door latch was getting flaky, but they replaced it the day we took it in.

Trying to but my S P85D is just so darn fun to drive too and I have to be fair to both cars. ;)

Reactions: Gen3