Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2nd row was a deal killer for us in the early Model X's.

Tesla has fixed that with the current 7 seat configuration.

The rear row folds flat and now provides more front-to-back storage than a Model S (when the S back seat hasn't been folded down).

The 2nd row folds flat - and should also provide more front-to-back storage than a Model S (with the S back seat folded down).

And because of the increased height at the rear of the Model X, it will hold more cargo than the S.

Note, that while the S back seat folds flat, the platform created from the seatbacks in the S is slightly elevated compared to the rear storage compartment (from the wheel wells to the back of the car). In an S, if you slide something in from the back of the car, you have to lift the front edge slightly to get it to slide all the way in.

For the X, it appears they've got the seat backs at the same height as the back storage - so it really is flat.

We had a 24 hour test drive last weekend - and was able to more closely look at the storage - and confirmed they had fixed our concerns from several years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: ahkim
Just out of curiosity, do you guys know what they changed in terms of design on the 2018 cars vs the 2016? I don't mean supplier change like the chargeport, I meant big stuff

Some of the big ones are

#1 MCU2
#2 FWD sensor
#3 FWD inside button
#4 AP1 vs AP2
#5 Rear interior trunk light location
#6 Tire brand
#7 Seat material / vents
#8 Seat backs

Adding a few more

Door latch
Seats (earlier real leather seats are softer)

I heard that the bolstering on the captain chairs at the back of the 6 seater is better now which means the person sitting in the captain chairs feels more secure.

Also not to forget the recent graphite trim recently introduced.

I heard that the bolstering on the captain chairs at the back of the 6 seater is better now which means the person sitting in the captain chairs feels more secure.

Also not to forget the recent graphite trim recently introduced.

i think the new MCU, FWD sensors, and 7 seat config to fold flat are the biggies to me.

i think they added some new FWD software features too in 2017 that allows u to open the FWD in a less attention grabing way (i.e. partial opening?) and also speeds up the open and closing of the FWD doors.

i think the new MCU, FWD sensors, and 7 seat config to fold flat are the biggies to me.

i think they added some new FWD software features too in 2017 that allows u to open the FWD in a less attention grabing way (i.e. partial opening?) and also speeds up the open and closing of the FWD doors.
The stuff in second paragraph is just software changes that apply to all years.

Didn't the 2016 seat backs used to be glossy ? I've seen a few 16's with glossy seat backs.

I also noticed that some of the 5 seater 2nd row seats had a chrome piece that was visible on the side with the FWD open, and others are just black plastic - what's the difference ?

Yes they used to be all glossy now flat

The chrome ones were the moveable seats on the 7 seaters from the older cars. New ones are fixed post.

I should also mention they moved the c pillar back a little to give 3rd row more space

What about the ghosting of windshields in the earlier version?

This is one of the more useful threads IMO. Anyone know if the seals on the FWD's are better in the newer versions? I know even the mid 2017 model X's had issues with leakage issues due to the seals and it takes months to get the parts even under warranty. That would be a biggie IMO.

This is one of the more useful threads IMO. Anyone know if the seals on the FWD's are better in the newer versions? I know even the mid 2017 model X's had issues with leakage issues due to the seals and it takes months to get the parts even under warranty. That would be a biggie IMO.

yea i recall they fixed the seals too to prevent water leaking in when the FWD are fully open

As a counterpoint, we have a March 2016 VIN 15xx X 90D and love it. No major issues (just a faulty ultrasonic sensor shortly after delivery, and suspension repair for acceleration shutter recently). Ventilated seats. Active spoiler. Alcantara dash. Real leather. Retrofitted switches and latches. Yes, would have liked to get the new falcon door sensors but after getting bopped on the head a few times the first month we’ve learned where to stand. ;)

As a counterpoint, we have a March 2016 VIN 15xx X 90D and love it. No major issues (just a faulty ultrasonic sensor shortly after delivery, and suspension repair for acceleration shutter recently). Ventilated seats. Active spoiler. Alcantara dash. Real leather. Retrofitted switches and latches. Yes, would have liked to get the new falcon door sensors but after getting bopped on the head a few times the first month we’ve learned where to stand. ;)
How many miles on the car now?