Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X noticeable changes from 2016 to now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, do you guys know what they changed in terms of design on the 2018 cars vs the 2016? I don't mean supplier change like the chargeport, I meant big stuff

Some of the big ones are

#1 MCU2
#2 FWD sensor
#3 FWD inside button
#4 AP1 vs AP2
#5 Rear interior trunk light location
#6 Tire brand
#7 Seat material / vents
#8 Seat backs

Lots of changes in the fwd sensors since 2016 plus recently there are reports they’ve added a sensor on the interior door panel to prevent the door from closing on someone standing in the way.

I hadn't heard that, but it sounds like a good change. I've conked a few people on the head over the last year and a half. It doesn't hit hard enough to injure people, but it sure is embarrassing.

Lots of changes in the fwd sensors since 2016 plus recently there are reports they’ve added a sensor on the interior door panel to prevent the door from closing on someone standing in the way.

You would think this is in all of them, but can confirm has a neighbor checking things out when he hit 'Close all Doors' from center console then stepping back in the FWD's way which it detected and stopped.

I also just had my X done fully with Xpel, the installer commented how older ones including 2017s were not as well put together. Meaning uneven gaps between say quarter panel & hood, or a trunk not evenly fit making it look like its leaning to one side or sticking out slightly. All minor, nothing a casual observer would notice anyway in any MY.

Panels around the 3rd row seats have changed (mostly footprint) to provide more arm room. That's why when buying floor mats you need to specify the build year. Some physical changes to dimensions were also made in the trunk area.

This is helpful info. I have a Oct 2017 X 75 and am looking at getting a 2016 X 65 since it has the third row seat. Am I nuts for trading my newer model for an older one? I'll upgrade the 65 to 75 so the battery should be the same.

I've read a lot about AP1 vs AP2. Will AP1 keep up with AP2 over the years?

With the 2016 not having all the FWD sensors, what kind of issues might I face?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum

It's true, my 2018 X has that new sensor, I tested it after the Tesla guys mentioned it at the service centre. If you stand under the door and someone tries to close it, it just beeps and doesn't move at all. I'm surprised that sensor wasn't there from the start as it's such an obvious scenario.

Reactions: Kacey Green
From the early 2017 demo cars I first looked at, the fit and finish on my Feb 2018 car is hugely improved - now quite acceptable overall, not perfect, but very good in many areas. Earlier cars I looked at had some quite shoddy finishing on close inspection.

I think they also changed the door entry sill covers to make them less prone to scratching up, but I can't remember what the old ones looked like now.

This is helpful info. I have a Oct 2017 X 75 and am looking at getting a 2016 X 65 since it has the third row seat. Am I nuts for trading my newer model for an older one? I'll upgrade the 65 to 75 so the battery should be the same.

I've read a lot about AP1 vs AP2. Will AP1 keep up with AP2 over the years?

With the 2016 not having all the FWD sensors, what kind of issues might I face?

Your X 65 will be the most rare X ;)

You're not nuts to trade this in if you're getting some money back. If it's a straight swap, then perhaps. AP1 works great and in some ways better than AP2 currently. It will not keep up with AP2 over the years and will not be able to give you FSD if it ever comes. (Although I doubt AP2 will ever truly see FSD either) There's no problems with the FWD sensors, they just added more to the 2017 model.

As a current 2017 AP2 owner and a former 2016 AP1 owner, in day to day, you most likely won't notice any difference. So if you need the 3rd row, go for it.

• Funny
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Your X 65 will be the most rare X ;)

You're not nuts to trade this in if you're getting some money back. If it's a straight swap, then perhaps. AP1 works great and in some ways better than AP2 currently. It will not keep up with AP2 over the years and will not be able to give you FSD if it ever comes. (Although I doubt AP2 will ever truly see FSD either) There's no problems with the FWD sensors, they just added more to the 2017 model.

As a current 2017 AP2 owner and a former 2016 AP1 owner, in day to day, you most likely won't notice any difference. So if you need the 3rd row, go for it.

Thanks. Actually, the 2016 I’m looking at is loaded unlike my current X so I’ll be gaining a few features. The cold weather and stereo will be nice upgrades.

Oh...I see that it’s a 60 and not 65.

Thanks. Actually, the 2016 I’m looking at is loaded unlike my current X so I’ll be gaining a few features. The cold weather and stereo will be nice upgrades.

Oh...I see that it’s a 60 and not 65.

I see you're from a frosty state. The cold weather package is a must have in my opinion and I would gladly trade AP2 for AP1 + Subzero.

Reactions: TechVP
We had originally planned to buy a Model X when it was introduced, and decided against it because the middle row seats didn't fold down, providing less front-to-back storage than our Model S.

Since 2016, Tesla has made two significant changes.

The first is shifting to the split bench seat in the middle row, which now folds flat - providing the storage capacity you would expect in a "crossover" SUV - and now with more vertical and front-to-back cargo space than our S.

The second is the 100 battery pack, increasing the range (though it's still about 10-15% less than the S, due to the increased weight of the X).

We placed an order for an X 100D last weekend, which will be joining our S 100D soon.

• Love
Reactions: spectrum