Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X observations and questions for owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a lurker looking to order a brand new Model X before the end of October for 2017 delivery. I rented a 2016 MX with AP1 over the weekend to make sure I truly like the vehicle. I came up with the following questions and I want to see if you guys might have an answer for them?

Questions/Comments

#1 I am not a fan of the climate control reading. Instead of feeling comfortable at 70F, I have to keep it at 67-68F to make it feel like 70F on a normal car. Is it normal or is the sensor out of calibration?

#2 Did they change anything on the 6 seater between the 2016 and 2017 cars? Outside of fabrics, any change to the seat? I think I am skipping on the 5 and 7 seater. I love the front seats, but the backseats leave a lot to desire. It sits too low and it just doesn't move as much as I would like.

#3 The FWD came down on my wife's head (no one remember why it came down). The door didn't go back up, should it have or it didn't hit hard enough?!? Also why is it that the door only opens half way from time to time without obstructions above.

#4 Perhaps it is where I live, but I found the tire noise to be quite bad. I think the car came with Continentals. Do you guys have the same issue? No wind noise from the car, just awful tire noise.

#5 What is the difference between the door on the premium package car and base car? Does it open automatically from the outside on the premium cars? Is that the true difference? I notice the base car I had can still close automatically and pops out with the push of a button on the handle.

#6 Are the interiors brighter on the newer cars? The 2016 I had was very dark, the dome lights were basically useless. I felt like I was inside a movie theater.

#7 Can the FWD door hit the front door? It seems very close.

#8 On the speedo panel, can the two display on the side change? I notice it can only show GPS/Odo and power graph on the right.

#9 During my drive, the 17" went dark and rebooted itself on me. Several hours later, the GPS speaker started making a thud thud thud sound. It only fixed itself after the nightly full reboot, shutting off the car and turning it back on didn't do it. Are these normal occurrences?

AP Specific question
#A I tried to use summon with the keyfob. One time even after I release the reverse button, the car kept going. Is that because the car isn't suppose to respond based on the key fob, instead it was suppose to respond off the distance set in the UI since I don't have continuous press on?

#B On AP1 cars. When all system are engaged. Let say you are going at 75mph, cars in front of you are suddenly slowing down to 30mph. Is the car suppose to start slowing way before or is it only going to try a hard stop right before you get there? It got too hairy for me that I just hit the brakes way earlier to disengage the system.

#C I notice the AP1 system don't always read the lane markers properly on the display. In the display, it shows the car is on top of the line even though I know I still have a few inches before it. Any idea as to what happened? The car rarely goes out of the line during autopilot, but the display can definitely be off when you don't have autopilot engaged.

#D What does the system do about stupid bikes splitting lanes? I think I saw the car moved over when I was on the left most lane, but not all the time?

#E During auto park, the car almost nailed a sign that was about the height of the camera. Is that normal since it might sit too high?

Sorry for the long post

I am a lurker looking to order a brand new Model X before the end of October for 2017 delivery. I rented a 2016 MX with AP1 over the weekend to make sure I truly like the vehicle. I came up with the following questions and I want to see if you guys might have an answer for them?

Questions/Comments

#1 I am not a fan of the climate control reading. Instead of feeling comfortable at 70F, I have to keep it at 67-68F to make it feel like 70F on a normal car. Is it normal or is the sensor out of calibration?
seems a bit normal to me also, maybe its the small vents or just A/C in general but not a huge issue. i feel also to be around 70 have to keep it at 68 so it blows more aggressively. overall though it gets better in a longer trip and at night.

#2 Did they change anything on the 6 seater between the 2016 and 2017 cars? Outside of fabrics, any change to the seat? I think I am skipping on the 5 and 7 seater. I love the front seats, but the backseats leave a lot to desire. It sits too low and it just doesn't move as much as I would like.
no changes to 6 seater besides the fact you can get a console now in 2017+ on new builds. i'm sure some of the seat motor parts change a bit but nothing noticeable.

#3 The FWD came down on my wife's head (no one remember why it came down). The door didn't go back up, should it have or it didn't hit hard enough?!? Also why is it that the door only opens half way from time to time without obstructions above.
the doors have a pinch sensor all around the side and also notice resistance. they will come down and stop, and should bounce up a tiny bit at minimum now (was added a while back to software). they do not automatically go back up though fully.

#4 Perhaps it is where I live, but I found the tire noise to be quite bad. I think the car came with Continentals. Do you guys have the same issue? No wind noise from the car, just awful tire noise.
notice tire/road noise more in the x due to lack of an engine. it is a little less insulated than luxury/other cars as well though it seems.

#5 What is the difference between the door on the premium package car and base car? Does it open automatically from the outside on the premium cars? Is that the true difference? I notice the base car I had can still close automatically and pops out with the push of a button on the handle.
the premium upgrade adds the door opening for you when you walk up to it only, without having to push the button. you can also double click and open the driver door, and double click again and open passenger door. without the PUP you have to push on handles. They do close for you though from inside and stepping on brake.

#6 Are the interiors brighter on the newer cars? The 2016 I had was very dark, the dome lights were basically useless. I felt like I was inside a movie theater.
no lighting changes

always felt like this was possible but never happened. seem perfectly spaced/angled not to.

#8 On the speedo panel, can the two display on the side change? I notice it can only show GPS/Odo and power graph on the right.
yes, you can customize the "app" on both sides. you hold the wheel button and choose what you want. you can also customize what the right wheel controls on the fly.

#9 During my drive, the 17" went dark and rebooted itself on me. Several hours later, the GPS speaker started making a thud thud thud sound. It only fixed itself after the nightly full reboot, shutting off the car and turning it back on didn't do it. Are these normal occurrences?
not normal, but reboots typically fix odd things.

AP Specific question
#A I tried to use summon with the keyfob. One time even after I release the reverse button, the car kept going. Is that because the car isn't suppose to respond based on the key fob, instead it was suppose to respond off the distance set in the UI since I don't have continuous press on?
for summon on the fob you have to hit the top of fob to stop it. the continuous hold is for the app. for the fob you hold roof till blinking, then hit reverse or forward, and it'll move until it gets to the feet amount you've setup in settings, or you hit roof on fob.

#B On AP1 cars. When all system are engaged. Let say you are going at 75mph, cars in front of you are suddenly slowing down to 30mph. Is the car suppose to start slowing way before or is it only going to try a hard stop right before you get there? It got too hairy for me that I just hit the brakes way earlier to disengage the system.
it should stop just fine. depends what you have the distance setup as.

#C I notice the AP1 system don't always read the lane markers properly on the display. In the display, it shows the car is on top of the line even though I know I still have a few inches before it. Any idea as to what happened? The car rarely goes out of the line during autopilot, but the display can definitely be off when you don't have autopilot engaged.
the display doesn't always reflect what is around you that well, rather limited on AP1/AP2 both still. main thing is it knows something is there is all.

#D What does the system do about stupid bikes splitting lanes? I think I saw the car moved over when I was on the left most lane, but not all the time?
really depends. if if can easily read the lane then it'll interpret it as a lane if not to abrupt of a change and move over. this is a hard question to answer. you have to get used to AP1/AP2 and what they can do. AP1 is best used on clearly marked freeways only - even then always know what is coming up and how it will likely handle it.

#E During auto park, the car almost nailed a sign that was about the height of the camera. Is that normal since it might sit too high?
it can't only detect what the ultrasonics can see. they have to be low enough and big enough. it sometimes don't see slim poles/signs and will hit them, heard that happen to many owners.

Sorry for the long post

1. The air conditioner doesn't seem as strong as my previous automobiles. I keep mine set at 72* or at 73* and my rear a/c is usually shut off unless I have passengers. I also have my window shade installed on the top of the windshield. My air conditioner works fine. It seems most manufacturers have different thermostats.
  2. Tesla changed the seat backs on the six seater. It's no longer glossy black and now has a scratch resistant matte finish.
  3. I've had my falcon wing door hit me in the head once. I think it's because I had on tight pants and too much in my pocket with the key fob. My office keys were pressing on the lock button. o_O
Regarding the interior lighting, some folks replace the lights with LED units from Abstract Ocean. Abstract Ocean sells a kit.

If you have further questions, just ask.

Reactions: Peteybabes
I have a June 2017 build 75D six seater with console (AP2). On Falcon wing door, I've had that happen to me a few times (either eager kids anxious to hit the close button as they rush out or I accidentally hit the FOB). Although I haven't volunteered my fingers/ limbs to test the pinch sensors, if you push back with enough resistance on the lower part of the door, it will stop. That doesn't seem to be the case with the top part (roof part) of the door.

And yes, I also wish the 2nd row seats could move back further...

Welcome, @mattack4000! :)

I have a similar problem in colder weather, but the other way around (and in Celcius): I'm not comfortable at 20-21C - it is too cold - so I find myself upping it to 22-23C. I'm not sure why that is, exactly. One reason I am thinking if that the rear circulation is off by default, if nobody is back there. Maybe try turning on rear air, if it is off? (This is an issue on the 5 seater because it has no dedicated rear fan and two less nozzles, so its ability to circulate air in the back is worse.)

They did change the seat backs/sides from glossy to matte - and they offer a center console option for the six-seater second-row. Nothing else changed that I know of.

Also, third row walls/sides have changed a bit since the early days.

I don't think the falcon wings are supposed to go back up if they face an obstruction - they are not like the trunk door in that sense. They will simply stop.

Overall IMO tire noise with Teslas is pretty bad, they ain't no German premiums that's for sure... That said, sound dampening has been improving in Teslas, it is possible a new model might be better than an old one.

I believe it is a software difference, but yes it is a difference: with premium upgrades you can have the driver's door open automatically if you wish. Premium upgrades also used to include better lighting and leather on doors, but I think all that's standard now.

I don't know of any change, but I find Model X pretty dark inside at night because the dome lights are so far back. The LEDs themselves seem plenty bright to me, they are just quite far back and it is a big space inside...

I tend to be careful not to operate them at the same time, but I believe the only real danger is a passenger getting pinched between them, not really the doors themselves hitting each other.

Yes, you can change the displays on the side by holding down the rollers. This is an old feature, since early Model S days already.

I don't know about the latter, but the 17" screen has rebooted by itself once during my Model X ownership like that. It did not happen during my Model S ownership. I do recall some audio glitches during my Model S ownership that did require manual reboot.

• Informative
Reactions: BoerumHill
While I am at it, can someone explain to me what the air suspension does other than jacking the car up and down for better clearance? Is the ultra low setting that much better than the medium setting? What can give a better ride?

I think our deadline is Oct 15th on placing an order. I am holding off a little as I am waiting to see if any changes will come up the 15th. I think the final order will probably be 8K more than what I would like to spend :(

While I am at it, can someone explain to me what the air suspension does other than jacking the car up and down for better clearance? Is the ultra low setting that much better than the medium setting? What can give a better ride?

I think our deadline is Oct 15th on placing an order. I am holding off a little as I am waiting to see if any changes will come up the 15th. I think the final order will probably be 8K more than what I would like to spend :(

Well, that is what the air suspension does. It does not affect the shock absorbers in a Tesla, though on the lowest and highest setting in reality the car does IMO feel a bit more rigid in its responses due to being in an extreme end. For a more softer feel, I'd choose a height in the middle. But reality is, all Teslas are pretty harsh rides and nothing much "stock" you can do about it...

As for waiting, personally I find so many possible changes upcoming in Q4/Q1 (interior redesign/new dash?, new battery options?) that I would wait a bit longer than the 15th, unless something big comes before...

Reactions: LyftupX
Lowering it also increases speed (better airflow) and also reduces body roll in the corners.

Those are all excellent questions and observations! I'm impressed. I can answer a few. 2016 MX mfg in Sept 2016, so one of the last AP1 cars.

Yes, the AC requires a lower temp for comfort - 68 for me, whereas 72 is perfect in my wife's car. That's no big deal, just keep it lower. However, the back seat AC is not powerful enough in my opinion. Pretty well have to crank back seat fan to 8 and the temp lower to get the job done. That seems like an error to me.

The FWD can come down for 4 reasons I know of: one, touch panel, two, button inside the car, 3 read button accessible when the door is open, 4 the key fob. That last one is probably the culprit. Was the key in your pocket? Were you getting into the seat and that act put pressure on the fob? If so, that can activate a door.

Tire noise - my number one complaint! the Contisilents are the best option. They are fine at 40 mph or less. Most of our highways are bare concrete and the noise on them at 70-75 (a typical speed limit) is far too loud IMO. I've begun looking into after market places to install noise reducing options like dynamat to see if that will fix it. This is also a WTH item to me. So many aspects of the car are astoundingly great, but, this much noise? Didn't they test drive them on highways? For now, I crank the radio up to 8 to be able to hear it. Disappointing!

I've never had a reboot happen in 15k miles on the car. That is plain strange!

As for slowing down in an uncomfortable way, two things. One, you can custom set the following distance I believe in the setting part of the control panel. The further following distance you set it, the quicker is will react to slowing traffic and begin to slow. The wife is very sensitive to this issues, so I use 7 car lengths as the following distance. It is trade off because that is enough space that aggressive drivers will pull into that space. Still, worth it because what you mentioned has never been an issue. Tweak and see what you like. The second part of that is the regenerative braking feature is a pretty quick slow down. You'll get used that and not notice it after a while.

Where I'm at over all is I completely love the car, I'm very happy I went with it. It is not perfect and the noise and back seat AC are real issues to me. But, I expected some issues with a company that is a baby in terms of experience manufacturing cars. Those issues I have are vastly outweighed by the things I love and the knowledge I have that this is a car that will continue to improve over time. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Yeah, one can turn off the single-click auto-close from the settings. The four-click (?) one remains, though.
Triple-click. The single-click was able to be disabled just for this reason, that one click would close all doors and hit people in the head. First thing I turned off. It's a strange setting, because it's not really labeled. Called 'Auto-Close' doors or something like that. (It has the 'triple-click will always work' text underneath it.

Triple-click. The single-click was able to be disabled just for this reason, that one click would close all doors and hit people in the head. First thing I turned off. It's a strange setting, because it's not really labeled. Called 'Auto-Close' doors or something like that. (It has the 'triple-click will always work' text underneath it.

Yes, that one. Thanks. :)

Reactions: boaterva