Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X OEM Swiveling Screen Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perspective shift: you haven't been craving it because you haven't experienced it. ;)
LOL, maybe. But I just don't find the non-moving screen difficult in any way. Could it be better? Sure, I suppose, but I'm pretty confident it's something I would check out once or twice and then just leave it in the current position because it would look to asymmetrical for my crazy brain.

I'm not just saying it because I don't have it...I do want the new lights and I REALLY want a freaking normal horn.

even Tesla's website for the X advertises tilting now.....

Capture.JPG

LOL, maybe. But I just don't find the non-moving screen difficult in any way. Could it be better? Sure, I suppose, but I'm pretty confident it's something I would check out once or twice and then just leave it in the current position because it would look to asymmetrical for my crazy brain.

I'm not just saying it because I don't have it...I do want the new lights and I REALLY want a freaking normal horn.

Flush IS asymmetrical for your brain now if you're sitting in the drivers seat. Being able to swivel in your direction so that the left and right side of the screen is equidistant from your face would be symmetrical and also mostly equidistant for reach as well.

I'm probably going to remove mine and manually set the swivel to face me.

Flush IS asymmetrical for your brain now if you're sitting in the drivers seat. Being able to swivel in your direction so that the left and right side of the screen is equidistant from your face would be symmetrical and also mostly equidistant for reach as well.

I'm probably going to remove mine and manually set the swivel to face me.
I guess if we're going into semantics, then we would have to define what is symmetric to what. I prefer the cabin to have a symmetric look to the design of the interior of the vehicle. I am not concerned with symmetry in regards to my seating position and therefore unconcerned with the controls being evenly organized around an axis. Neither swiveled nor unswiveled will ever achieve the exact definition of symmetry. This is why I am not concerned about having or not having the swiveling screen, I highly doubt I'd ever use it.
Perhaps we should switch to the word cohesive. I find the screen in it's non-swiveled position to have a more cohesive look.

I guess if we're going into semantics, then we would have to define what is symmetric to what. I prefer the cabin to have a symmetric look to the design of the interior of the vehicle. I am not concerned with symmetry in regards to my seating position and therefore unconcerned with the controls being evenly organized around an axis. Neither swiveled nor unswiveled will ever achieve the exact definition of symmetry. This is why I am not concerned about having or not having the swiveling screen, I highly doubt I'd ever use it.
Perhaps we should switch to the word cohesive. I find the screen in it's non-swiveled position to have a more cohesive look.
There’s aesthetics and then there’s functionality. It would be somewhat easier to use when tilted towards the user, making the far edge easier to reach.

There’s aesthetics and then there’s functionality. It would be somewhat easier to use when tilted towards the user, making the far edge easier to reach.
Yep, for sure. But there UI allows having all the controls on either side of the screen. So I pretty much never find myself reaching to the far side of the screen because I keep the controls I use on the driver's side. Certainly others use their vehicle differently than I, but I'm still of the opinion that, for me, I don't care about the swiveling screen.

But hey, all you screen-swiveling lovers out there, I'm stoked for you. It's a slick feature and perhaps will turn out to be really useful.

Yep, for sure. But there UI allows having all the controls on either side of the screen. So I pretty much never find myself reaching to the far side of the screen because I keep the controls I use on the driver's side. Certainly others use their vehicle differently than I, but I'm still of the opinion that, for me, I don't care about the swiveling screen.

But hey, all you screen-swiveling lovers out there, I'm stoked for you. It's a slick feature and perhaps will turn out to be really useful.
It may be like the yoke, where you don't know you like it til you get it.

It may be like the yoke, where you don't know you like it til you get it.
That could be, no doubt. But search my post history on here and you'll see I've always endorsed the yoke. It took me about 5 seconds to adapt and I've never looked back.

I have ALWAYS complained about the horn and I also think the steering wheel switches could be much better executed.

I'm not one to talk smack on something just for the sake of it. I think it through. And without using the screen, it is true I do not know. However, I do contend that I really cannot bring myself to care about the screen simply because that aspect of the vehicle (UI) is very easy to use already. . There's been plenty of Model S posts about the screen(lack of for almost a year) and one person even bailed on the car because of no swiveling screen (or least it was a factor).

Anyway, I'm not sure why this seems like I'm a swiveling screen hater because I'm not. I just don't see the point of it.

Touche! Supposedly some of them have a center horn that will be activated via OTA.

Trust me... I have a Tilted & Swiveled screen on my model Y. It totally looks and functions better than a non-swiveled positioned display. The primary reason is that the primary view of the cabin is from the driver's seat - it is not from straddling the armrest. Of course, it really does function better also.

The Tesla design people know this - and that is why the pre-refresh models S and X had rotated screens built in. The design was meant to carry forward into the refresh model. Attached is a screenshot of the website at the time that they released details of the new cars (I had ordered pre-refresh on 1/17). This screenshot is dated February 2, 2021, referencing the tilt functionality.

In my case, I will wait a few months to see if they are going to add the motorized functionality. If by year end, it becomes clear that they are not going to retrofit with motors - I will manually swivel it to face the driver at an aesthetic angle. the extra functionality of movement is not that important - we don't do it on the Y now.

Attachments

• Dash 1.JPG
    Dash 1.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Trust me... I have a Tilted & Swiveled screen on my model Y. It totally looks and functions better than a non-swiveled positioned display. The primary reason is that the primary view of the cabin is from the driver's seat - it is not from straddling the armrest. Of course, it really does function better also.

The Tesla design people know this - and that is why the pre-refresh models S and X had rotated screens built in. The design was meant to carry forward into the refresh model. Attached is a screenshot of the website at the time that they released details of the new cars (I had ordered pre-refresh on 1/17). This screenshot is dated February 2, 2021, referencing the tilt functionality.

In my case, I will wait a few months to see if they are going to add the motorized functionality. If by year end, it becomes clear that they are not going to retrofit with motors - I will manually swivel it to face the driver at an aesthetic angle. the extra functionality of movement is not that important - we don't do it on the Y now.
It’s not a trust issue, it’s a preference issue. Yeah I know all about the screen and how it did not launch with the car. I’ve had a Plaid since 6/29 and have followed Tesla very closely.

That’s cool that you’re going to modify the screen to suit you better, hope to see pics when you’re done. I’m fine with where mine resides.