Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X OEM Tire Troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
Only 9,000 miles and already I had to replace 2 Continental Cross Contact LX 20" tires, (OEM) left front and right rear, on my Model X75D. Not an acceptable tire failure rate; I have a few gravel driveway potholes, and only once towed a lightly loaded trailer.

Am I the only one having trouble with these tires puncturing too easily? If others are having this problem, did you get them warranted successfully?

Is there an LT (=Light Truck) type tire that will fit rear and/or front?

"LT" tires, I'm told, are supposed to be 10-ply rated. I'll gladly accept a handling/mileage penalty for tires that reliably last long enough to wear the treads a little.

Our first set lasted about 31,000 miles. We keep them at 42psi, fixing the pressure when it is more than 2psi off. Car is set to "ALWAYS Low" because of acceleration shudder, and we don't do alignments unless necessary (it hasn't been necessary).

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
You must do an annual alignment, drive in normal ride height and track your tire pressures like a hawk. I have about 20,000 miles on mine and tread is at 5/32. Almost time to replace.

The standard ride height thing only applies to older cars. Every Model X since early 2018 has been aligned to run at the low ride height setting and that's how they are delivered - set to always low. Mine tyres are all wearing evenly across the treads after 18k miles on low. Rear wear rate is a bit higher than the fronts.

• Helpful
Reactions: jgrgnt
The standard ride height thing only applies to older cars. Every Model X since early 2018 has been aligned to run at the low ride height setting and that's how they are delivered - set to always low. Mine tyres are all wearing evenly across the treads after 18k miles on low. Rear wear rate is a bit higher than the fronts.
Source?

Even my previous 09/2016 build was set to always low on delivery.

Sorry OP sounds like bad luck. And in that case I suggest buying tire insurance.

Source?

Even my previous 09/2016 build was set to always low on delivery.

Sorry OP sounds like bad luck. And in that case I suggest buying tire insurance.

Okay I should have said at LEAST since early 2018. I'm not sure when Tesla actually decided to make the low ride height the default recommended setting. The change was in response to the well known drive shaft shudder issue at "standard" ride height. I have a current Tesla alignment sheet in front of me with the correct settings for the car to run at the low setting to give optimum wear. For me these settings have worked perfectly over the life of the tyre, with perfectly even wear across all the treads.

I'm not sure it was only bad luck. I have had three sets of back tires down to the metal in less than 5000 miles. Every time I bring the X in, I ask about underlying issues that might be causing the extreme wear, but so far I have only been "reassured" that it was a freak thing. I have quite a long commute and have had to be towed to the service center more than once. The safety of tires blowing out on the freeway is a huge concern. If anyone has thoughts on what I can suggest to the SC to prevent this problem, please let me know.

Every time I bring the X in, I ask about underlying issues that might be causing the extreme wear, but so far I have only been "reassured" that it was a freak thing.
Three times? I don't think so. A friend of mine had the same issue on his X. Finally after about 3 sets of tires with less than 7k they "discovered" the alignment was off.

I'm not sure it was only bad luck. I have had three sets of back tires down to the metal in less than 5000 miles. Every time I bring the X in, I ask about underlying issues that might be causing the extreme wear, but so far I have only been "reassured" that it was a freak thing. I have quite a long commute and have had to be towed to the service center more than once. The safety of tires blowing out on the freeway is a huge concern. If anyone has thoughts on what I can suggest to the SC to prevent this problem, please let me know.
There's something fundamentally wrong with your alignment if you're wearing tires to the metal in 5k.

Wheel alignment is hyper critical both for tire life AND energy consumption. If you burned up a set of tires in 5K, step one should have been to get an alignment. Also alignments should be done anytime you buy tires.

When my X was delivered, it ever so slightly favored to the left. I had an alignment performed in warranty. SC told me the factory does not perform wheel alignments out the door, so if there is the slightest indication something is not right, take the car back and ask for an alignment. In your case they must have mounted the tires sideways to destroy them in only 5K. Bet your range was awful too.

No wear issues at all, just sidewall troubles.

Reactions: Cici&Mimi
Three times? I don't think so. A friend of mine had the same issue on his X. Finally after about 3 sets of tires with less than 7k they "discovered" the alignment was off.

I have asked about alignment every time. I am always assured that everything has been aligned. I dont really know how to confirm its been done. There is nothing overt to make it seem like its not aligned.

Wheel alignment is hyper critical both for tire life AND energy consumption. If you burned up a set of tires in 5K, step one should have been to get an alignment. Also alignments should be done anytime you buy tires.

When my X was delivered, it ever so slightly favored to the left. I had an alignment performed in warranty. SC told me the factory does not perform wheel alignments out the door, so if there is the slightest indication something is not right, take the car back and ask for an alignment. In your case they must have mounted the tires sideways to destroy them in only 5K. Bet your range was awful too.[/QUO

Between the tires and the cold weather thru the mountains my range was way down.

I have asked about alignment every time. I am always assured that everything has been aligned. I dont really know how to confirm its been done. There is nothing overt to make it seem like its not aligned.
From a friend of mine who had the same experience and same response from his SC (note this might not apply to you but ...)

The tire alignment machine at xxx SC had been off for several months: contaminants got in the bearings and the pads supporting the wheels did not move freely. They must’ve sent hundreds of cars out screwed up like that.

When I had the alignment checked after they fixed it, it was off substantially on every wheel.

Our x has same tires
21000 and still have plenty of tread
Discount tire estimated another 5-8000
I see that the OP post is just a little dated, but to say...…
our early 2017 MX had 28,400 before I needed to replace them as the tread depth was barely legal at that point. I drove mostly on standard suspension, sometimes on low suspension (maybe 10% of time), mostly interstate driving. By the end of that 28K miles, the tires were wearing evenly and I never rotated them. The back 275s had just a little more tread on them than the front 265s. And to answer the main question, never had a puncture even after the terrible California potholes and the Nevada snow pots

I did not replace them with Continental tires. I replaced them with Pirelli that actually I like better.