TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Off Road (A real world review)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Chrisizzle, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

I finally had time to finish the video of my off-road experience from Wyoming.

I hope you enjoy and maybe pick up some useful info.

• Love x 8
    • Like x 5
  2. randycandy

randycandy Member

Thank you so much for sharing!!!

3. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

Thanks for the video, I assume you were running with the suspension set to it's highest point when off road?

4. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

The suspension automatically lowers at certain speeds (eg. You can only stay at the highest setting below 50km/h believe). But yes, I would keep it as high as possible.

5. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

6. sub

sub Active Member

Well done. How did your paint hold up? I have a 94 landcruiser setup for this type of terrain so even though I hate burning gas I don't think I could take our new X out like this. I've seen first hand the damage done to the side of my landcruiser by gravel/off roads.

7. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

No issues with paint. It was all grassy brush. I didn’t have to squeeze between tree branches. Gravel didn’t give any scratches or dings.

8. Tequesta

Tequesta Member

What a treat to watch...thank you for bringing us along. Would love to seea list of all your charging gear and plugs if you ever have the time.

9. sub

sub Active Member

Good to hear. My issues on the landcruiser are in part due to 35" all terrain tires that love to throw gravel. I do have front and rear mud flaps.

10. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

Very nice video. Long enough to be informative but short enough not to get boring.

Now I know what why MX might be able to do in 10 years once the newness wears off. :)

• Like x 2
  11. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

Stand by. I’ll try to get to this soon.

12. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

From the factory, it's not the smoothest paint job I've ever had, but given how much negativity there is around the paint quality, it holds up surprisingly well.

I drive on gravel roads almost everyday for about 5 miles - defined but unpaved roads; not trails. The gravel did a number on my Subaru's and left gravel induced rooster tails along the side of the car. So far the paint has held up on the MX despite being subject to the same. (In fairness, they have a fraction of the mileage)

This is what my cars typically look like one day after a full detail - wash/polish/wax. Sometimes I wonder why I bother... (Red is bare, Black is wrapped):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2