TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X official NHTSA safety rating?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ratsbew, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I haven't heard any information about the safety rating of the Model X. When do we expect this information to come out?

2. AdamSM

AdamSM Member

Nothing official has come out yet. I'm told that the NHTSA rated the Model S in August 2013--a little more than a year after the first Model S deliveries in June 2012. If it took the same amount of time, that would suggest November 2016. Of course, it could be sooner or later than that. (Other crash tests for the Model S, notably EuroNCAP, were later. The IIHS hasn't done any crash testing on the Model S; I don't know if they will on the Model X, or if they'll also consider that a niche luxury car.)

3. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

If they redid the center seat design in any way, would this then further delay safety ratings because of having to redo crash tests?

4. AdamSM

AdamSM Member

I don't think so--it's pretty common for there to be multiple configurations of the vehicle with only some having been tested. It would mean that they might, for example, test the 7 seat configuration and not the 6 or 5 seat configuration, but most of the data would carry over.

5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

The monroney sticker specifically notes there is no NHTSA rating for the X yet.
    Maine requires a car have a rating before it can pass a safety inspection.

6. docBliny

docBliny Member

Has anyone heard news about the official crash rating(s) yet?

//TB