Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Officially Ordered (plus a Wheel Question!)

Which do you prefer on the Model X?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

This forum was invaluable in my decision making. After having to bring in my Ford SHO for (another) ICE issue, I decided I was tired of being part of the problem and decided to be a part of the solution. I have been wanting to pull the trigger for 6 years now! My wife and I test drove both the S and X today and boy, did I love the X. Much larger cabin space helped as I haven't been in a tight sedan (the SHO is cavernous) in a long time. Not to mention, the minute we opened the Falcons - my 8 and 10 year olds went nuts (I did too... but on the inside). Here's the specs:

100D
Blue on white
Black (Ash) trim
20" Carbon Wheels
AP

Big question - My only questions are in regard to the wheels. Are the 22's worth it? I've seen 10-15% range reduction which isn't too cool. Anyone with 22's that regrets them? As for the Carbon Wheels -> they did not have any in the inventory. For those who have seen the onyx and the carbon, any strong opinions?

Thanks in advance and can't wait until November!

I wavered back and forth with regard to the wheels also. For sure, I liked the way the 22” onyx wheels look on the X. However, I didn’t like the loss in range, that you had to be more careful around potholes and curbs, and the cost to upgrade.

When I initially placed my order, I ordered the 20” standard wheels, with plans to powder coat them black. However, I ended up changing my order and getting the 22” wheels instead because I decided that I wanted them regardless of the loss in range, etc.

FWIW, I was able to see all three wheel types on pearl white X’s in person.

From the pictures I have seen online, the carbon wheels look really nice on the blue X. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the above choices.

Just want to clarify (because I don't think I can change the Poll) - The Onyx are 22" only, so I guess the question is either between the Carbon and the Onyx, or whether you'd like to see Tesla make a 22" Carbon or a 20" Onyx!!! ;)

I roll 22s don’t care about range as have big battery and superchargers everywhere in CA ..if you are in cold climate probably will make bigger difference in winter as well

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I passed on the 22s because the tires wear out quick and the range is reduced...

I did waffle on the Sonic Carbon vs the stock silver wheels to go with my blue but in the end decided to stay with the stock silver wheels because I liked the contrast it provided on the lower half of the car...

Jeff

Reactions: P85_DA
I passed on the 22s because the tires wear out quick and the range is reduced...

I did waffle on the Sonic Carbon vs the stock silver wheels to go with my blue but in the end decided to stay with the stock silver wheels because I liked the contrast it provided on the lower half of the car...
Jeff

Me too. I had the sonic carbons selected for a while. They look great on the web page. Luckily, I saw a blue w carbon, and said, hey that is not as neat looking as I thought. Decided to skip it. Now, if I was looking at midnight silver, I might not have not changed. Very happy with the standard 20s.

I love the 22's and it doesn't hurt that they get a lot of complements.

One thing I wish I would have known is that they tend to show up in the for sale forums from time to time at a significant discount. They're often received as a referral award and people either don't want or don't need 22's.

My original plan had been to buy a set of 20" wheels/snow-tires for the winter but a local seller was willing to part with a full set of 22's & tires for $3500. By the time you back out the value of the tires (which I'll eventually need anyway), it made the rims dirt cheap. So I guess I'll be testing out the 22" winters.

Nick

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Ulmo and P85_DA
I love the 22's and it doesn't hurt that they get a lot of complements.

One thing I wish I would have known is that they tend to show up in the for sale forums from time to time at a significant discount. They're often received as a referral award and people either don't want or don't need 22's.

My original plan had been to buy a set of 20" wheels/snow-tires for the winter but a local seller was willing to part with a full set of 22's & tires for $3500. By the time you back out the value of the tires (which I'll eventually need anyway), it made the rims dirt cheap. So I guess I'll be testing out the 22" winters.

Nick
To be clear, I agree with all of your "value" statements, but I marked "funny" on the concept of 22" winters.

Mine...

Attachments

• B78415A7-218D-43E2-B404-04C7D90E7243.jpeg
    B78415A7-218D-43E2-B404-04C7D90E7243.jpeg
    584.2 KB · Views: 81
The 22s look better and improve the driving dynamics of the Model X, at the expense of ride quality, increased noise (slight), and reduced range (moderate to significant, depending on tire selection). On my 90D, I run the stock 20" wheels/tires when doing long road trips.