Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X offline + dead battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC Community,

This is my first post, as I recently took delivery of my first ever Tesla. I have a Model X Plaid. Picked it up 2 weeks ago. Drove it for a week, then had to go out of town for a week. My wife drove the car on day 1 of my trip and took it home, and said her keys were no longer working. I figured it was user error, since she has her card and keyfob and neither worked. However, when I got back in to town, I realized that it was a bigger problem. The app on the phone kept saying off line, and kept giving me the circle that signified it was trying to connect. I could not connect to the car, nor open the doors. It was as if it was completely dead, no battery, and not connected to the network.

I opened up a service request, and Tesla tech said it was offline for them as well. So we got a tow truck to take it back to Tesla service. They estimate it will be fixed 5 days on Tuesday. Today is Saturday, so it's over the weekend.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What is the build date? Could the car have sat for a few weeks (months) before delivery? The 12V battery may have drained and then failed. Charging the small battery may have been able to get the car to turn on but the 12V would still need replacement.

Upvote 0
Went into the Tesla Service today. As it turns out they are replacing both batteries the 12V, and the main battery as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpeg
    IMG_2413.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    708.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Upvote 0
Are there 2 batteries
The ETA is 2 weeks, since the new battery is so heavy the only economical way to get it from California to Atlanta is by rail. Luckily they gave me a loaner.
So they are replacing the main battery pack that runs the length of the bottom of the car, and the small Li-Ion battery module under the frunk?

Upvote 0
Are there 2 batteries

So they are replacing the main battery pack that runs the length of the bottom of the car, and the small Li-Ion battery module under the frunk?
It would be the large battery, as the 12 volt can be replace by your local garage. I suppose one could rent a heavy duty trailer and drive out to Fremont to pick a new one up, but the traction battery weighs near a thousand pounds, so sending it by rail seems the best option.

Your car wouldn't run two miles on the 12 volt battery, and very slowly at that, but the 12 volt is needed to run all the lights and radio, etc. It is charged up by the big battery as needed.

Upvote 0
It would be the large battery, as the 12 volt can be replace by your local garage. I suppose one could rent a heavy duty trailer and drive out to Fremont to pick a new one up, but the traction battery weighs near a thousand pounds, so sending it by rail seems the best option.

Your car wouldn't run two miles on the 12 volt battery, and very slowly at that, but the 12 volt is needed to run all the lights and radio, etc. It is charged up by the big battery as needed.
OP said both batteries, so as I stated I was assuming it is the 12v and the pack. However, in the new cars, the 12v is not a regular 12V lead-acid battery as in previous years. It is a Li-Ion unit that is tiny and weighs only a couple of pounds. Your local garage could replace it, but Tesla is the only source. See Munro and Associates Model S teardown.

Last edited:
Upvote 0