Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on 21" Wheels? Has anyone tried this yet? (OEM or Aftermarket)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, I've got a buyer on my OEM 22" wheels and have a lead on some HRE forged mono block wheels to replace them. However, the seller is not the best at replying, which is giving me pause to consider other options.

One route I'm seriously thinking about is not just getting lighter wheels, but also going down to 21" to save even more on efficiency dynamics. Ultimately the 21" wheels I'd consider aren't forged (flow formed instead) but they are equally as light. Meaning lighter plus smaller equals greater benefits, too.

Tire Rack lists some tire sizes for 21 and they happen to be the same Pirelli Verde tires I'm running now. So overall I'm sure I'd be happy with the tire performance-- but I'd love to know if any other MX owners have gone this route. Tire options are pretty much non existent in 21" other than the Pirelli Verde all-season or snow-- but that is okay with me.

Anyone?! :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
Yes. If you can put 22", 20", and 19" tires on it you can put some 21's on there too. In fact, Elon had the 21's from the S on his X at the reveal event (I saw them and other took pictures). Just make sure you match the tire's circumference as close as possible and you'll be fine.

P100DL with full Xpel Stealth wrap is finally here!
the thread starter got 21 inch rims that is flow form at 26lbs.

PERFECT!! Yes, I know it could be done @goneskiian that wasnt the issue-- it was more a photo request. I should have been more clear about that perhaps. But @bushburner provided precisely what I wanted.

My new wheels are ordered... 21" staggered Niche Essen M147 matte black:
Essen - M147 - Niche Wheels

And based on the link provided to the black P100DL above, then I'm basically going to have a quite similar setup. I love how that looks so thanks again-- for Ohio roads that tire size is spot-on what I wanted. Would love to stay bigger but in my case the wheels I got are 31/33 lbs compared to the 22s now 38/40 lbs ... plus the tires appear to be a few lbs lighter too-- so about a 20% savings plus a smaller diameter should provide good efficiency dynamic benefits. And still look good!

Reactions: goneskiian
PERFECT!! Yes, I know it could be done @goneskiian that wasnt the issue-- it was more a photo request. I should have been more clear about that perhaps. But @bushburner provided precisely what I wanted.

And based on the link provided to the black P100DL above, then I'm basically going to have a quite similar setup. I love how that looks so thanks again-- for Ohio roads that tire size is spot-on what I wanted. Would love to stay bigger but in my case the wheels I got are 31/33 lbs compared to the 22s now 38/40 lbs ... plus the tires appear to be a few lbs lighter too-- so about a 20% savings plus a smaller diameter should provide good efficiency dynamic benefits. And still look good!

if you want more efficiency, make sure the tires have low rolling resistance.

• Helpful
Wow @UnpluggedP way to use your sponsorship to spam my thread. (thumbs down!) There was only one part of your reply that was relevant here, the CHR-II picture you included. Which frankly I had already seen in a prior thread, but it was acceptable here. But whatever, I digress.

There are not many (any) options for tires in 21" size that are truly ideal, but there are some "acceptable" options. That said, the overall same all-season Pirelli tires are available though they are the Verde instead of Zero lineup. Personally I've run both and prefer the Verde, so this makes the tire options a non-issue for me (so long as Pirelli simply doesnt stop offering them haha!)

Here in Cleveland, Ohio the 22s are just too much for the local roads in a 5,300+ lb vehicle. Not to mention the 38/40 lb weights are too heavy. Though I could surely get an aftermarket 22" wheel that is lighter, this doesnt really solve the low profile issue, and frankly, is way outside of my budget. I'm not of the affluence level that many Tesla owners are-- i just cant afford wheels at $1200 each.

@bushburner those have been on my radar too-- but as stated, 21" was my ultimate desire here. Based on the thread link of that black X, I really do think I've made the right choice. Tires will be here tomorrow, wheels middle of next week. Photos will come there after--- stay tuned!! :)

• Helpful
Reactions: acaciolo and Cowby
Tire selections were extremely limited in the 21 size. I've been playing around with the tire size calculator in this as well. The 20s look puny, but I don't want the ride of the 22s.

The fronts are easy to match in terms of rolling diameter. You can get it within 0.3% difference. The tears were the tough part. I couldn't get an acceptable difference, ending up with either a smaller diameter, leaving the car pointing up or ending up with a 1.6% difference in the rear.

I think on an ICE this might matter more. But we don't have driveshafts to deal with. Even then I still wonder if this will drive the traction control system nuts. Possibly making it think some of the wheels are slipping.

Definitely interested in seeing your car with them on!

• Helpful

Nice choice. Those are great looking wheels. I'm kinda bummed I didn't find those in my search for winter wheels.

Reactions: arijaycomet
Tire selections were extremely limited in the 21 size. I've been playing around with the tire size calculator in this as well. The 20s look puny, but I don't want the ride of the 22s.

The fronts are easy to match in terms of rolling diameter. You can get it within 0.3% difference. The tears were the tough part. I couldn't get an acceptable difference, ending up with either a smaller diameter, leaving the car pointing up or ending up with a 1.6% difference in the rear.

I think on an ICE this might matter more. But we don't have driveshafts to deal with. Even then I still wonder if this will drive the traction control system nuts. Possibly making it think some of the wheels are slipping.

Definitely interested in seeing your car with them on!

265x45xR20-275x45xR20.png

265x40xR21-275x40xR21.png

See above for your viewing pleasure. Interesting to note that the OEM 20" setup has a 1.2% variance front-to-bkac, and the 21" setup that I'll be running has an even better/lower 1.1% variance. However, the OEM 22" setup has a horrible huge 1.9% size variance front-to-back.

This leads me to believe that, as you said, the lack of a mechanical connection from the two axles (front vs rear) means this isn't as big an issue. I'm going to say that the few millimeter difference between the OEM 20s and my 21s is going to make this all moot, too. If Tesla says a 1.9% variance is okay, and a 1.2% is okay... then my 1.1% is obviously more than fine.

That thread someone linked above to the flat-black Model X in PA that has the mesh-style 21s appear to have the same tire size that I have coming here. But I'll be sure to share TONS of photos on the forums.. more than you guys/gals will want hahaha... :p

• Informative

265x45xR20-275x45xR20.png

265x40xR21-275x40xR21.png

See above for your viewing pleasure. Interesting to note that the OEM 20" setup has a 1.2% variance front-to-bkac, and the 21" setup that I'll be running has an even better/lower 1.1% variance. However, the OEM 22" setup has a horrible huge 1.9% size variance front-to-back.

This leads me to believe that, as you said, the lack of a mechanical connection from the two axles (front vs rear) means this isn't as big an issue. I'm going to say that the few millimeter difference between the OEM 20s and my 21s is going to make this all moot, too. If Tesla says a 1.9% variance is okay, and a 1.2% is okay... then my 1.1% is obviously more than fine.

That thread someone linked above to the flat-black Model X in PA that has the mesh-style 21s appear to have the same tire size that I have coming here. But I'll be sure to share TONS of photos on the forums.. more than you guys/gals will want hahaha... :p

Could u give us the specs of the 21" wheels your using? Offset, widths, etc.

Could u give us the specs of the 21" wheels your using? Offset, widths, etc.

Sure thing @Cowby --- though once I get them installed I will make a brand new thread, with the same data. But for those like yourself who are anxious to know, I'll list it below in a second. But first, in case anyone cares-- I had been researching options since picking my CPO MX 75D -- actually before I even picked it up. I'd always known I wanted 21" or 22" wheels, but with Ohio roads as they are, and the weight of the OE 22s, always expected to go a different route.

After finding the price point for most 22" wheels was beyond what I wanted to spend, and still wanting just a bit more sidewall, the 21" option just made sense. And once I learned that one of my favorite tires, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season were available in correct 21" sizes, it was a no brainer for me. (Pricing was cheapest at Tire Rack for the tires, and those are already out for delivery today)

NOTE: To ensure fitment, I did make a phone call to Niche and verified the brake caliper clearance and other factors. They said they had fitted the 20" version of these same wheels, and that 21" would fit fine. I went over the list below, part number, width, offset-- and was assured it would be a good fit. With that said, here is what I bought:

Niche Essen M147 (Matte Black) Front Wheels
21x9 ET+35 5x120
LINK: Amazon.com: Niche Essen 21 Black Wheel / Rim 5x120 with a 35mm Offset and a 72.6 Hub Bore. Partnumber M147219021+35: Automotive

Niche Essen M147 (Matte Black) Rear Wheels
21x10,5 ET+35 5x120
LINK: Amazon.com: Niche M147 Essen 21x10.5 5x120 +35mm Matte Black Wheel Rim: Automotive

UberTechnic Hubcentric Rings
64.1mm ID to 72.6mm OD
LINK: Amazon.com: 4 pieces UberTechnic Hubcentric Rings - 64.1mm ID to 72.6mm OD - Black Plastic Hubrings - Only Fits 64.1mm Vehicle Hub & 72.6mm Wheel Centerbore: Automotive

Gorilla Automotive 71643NBC
Black 14x1.5 Wheel Lock Kit
LINK: Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71643NBC Black 14mm x 1.5 Wheel Lock, (Pack of 20): Automotive

Some interesting things to note:
Front wheels are same width & offset as stock 22s so the fitment will be identical
Rear wheels are same offset, 0.5" wider, so you'll have 0.25" inside/outside added aggressiveness
See prior post for tire sizes (265/40 and 275/40) -- the fronts are same width, rears are 10mm less

Overall the lower rear width will reduce rear grip slightly, but doubtful that will make ANY noticeable difference. As a matter of fact, the load rating and tread wear on these new 21" tires is higher in both cases. They are LRR which should help, too (low rolling resistance). I suspect no change in ride quality in any perceivable fashion, but will definitely report back in the weeks to come.

Only item that I did not order online are the tire pressure monitors (TPMS) as those are a stock item at the local Tesla store for the same price (or cheaper) than most online outfits. Tires should arrive today, hub centric rings and locks later this week-- wheels, with any luck, sometime next week. If all goes to plan the wheels/tires/TPMS will get mounted/installed by the end of next week, with photos forthcoming there-after!

If anyone has any other questions let me know. I'm excited to see how these drive. I don't know how easily I'll be able to collect wh/mi data that I can argue is directly comparable versus just "similar" conditions--- but given my current 405 wh/mi average on 22s for the past 1,400 miles -- I really hope to see that drop to 380'ish (fingers crossed) ... more data as it unfolds! :)

• Informative
Reactions: GOPJEW and Cowby
PS: One thing that I didn't mention above that is VERY important for those wheel shopping is --- LOAD RATING. Not only do the tires you buy have to be load rated for the vehicle... so do the wheels. Many people often forget to make sure of this, especially on the wheel side of the equation. For your own safety and those around you, do not forget to take this into account.

From what I could find on these forums (and data from T Sportline), the OEM wheels are 880kg load rated so around 1,936 lbs). Online data indicates the Model X has a GVWR of 6,658 to 6,768 lbs -- and supposedly a 48% / 52% weight distribution on the P90D with the non-P cars being 49/51. Based on this data, 1,760 lb. load rating (800kg) would actually be sufficient, but Tesla obviously over-engineered their own wheels to be safe.

In the case of the Essen wheels I'm going to be using here, they are also "better" than needed, with a 2000-lb load rating capacity. That is around 910kg (approx) which is more than the stock wheels. This data is available on Essen's web site, but was also confirmed via telephone with them yesterday. I've seen plenty of big wheels (20,21,22 inches) that are load rated for sedans (1600-1700 lbs)-- and in those cases would NOT be safe for a Tesla due to the heft of our vehicles. Just a word of caution...

Sure thing @Cowby --- though once I get them installed I will make a brand new thread, with the same data. But for those like yourself who are anxious to know, I'll list it below in a second. But first, in case anyone cares-- I had been researching options since picking my CPO MX 75D -- actually before I even picked it up. I'd always known I wanted 21" or 22" wheels, but with Ohio roads as they are, and the weight of the OE 22s, always expected to go a different route.

After finding the price point for most 22" wheels was beyond what I wanted to spend, and still wanting just a bit more sidewall, the 21" option just made sense. And once I learned that one of my favorite tires, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season were available in correct 21" sizes, it was a no brainer for me. (Pricing was cheapest at Tire Rack for the tires, and those are already out for delivery today)

NOTE: To ensure fitment, I did make a phone call to Niche and verified the brake caliper clearance and other factors. They said they had fitted the 20" version of these same wheels, and that 21" would fit fine. I went over the list below, part number, width, offset-- and was assured it would be a good fit. With that said, here is what I bought:

Niche Essen M147 (Matte Black) Front Wheels
21x9 ET+35 5x120
LINK: Amazon.com: Niche Essen 21 Black Wheel / Rim 5x120 with a 35mm Offset and a 72.6 Hub Bore. Partnumber M147219021+35: Automotive

Niche Essen M147 (Matte Black) Rear Wheels
21x10,5 ET+35 5x120
LINK: Amazon.com: Niche M147 Essen 21x10.5 5x120 +35mm Matte Black Wheel Rim: Automotive

UberTechnic Hubcentric Rings
64.1mm ID to 72.6mm OD
LINK: Amazon.com: 4 pieces UberTechnic Hubcentric Rings - 64.1mm ID to 72.6mm OD - Black Plastic Hubrings - Only Fits 64.1mm Vehicle Hub & 72.6mm Wheel Centerbore: Automotive

Gorilla Automotive 71643NBC
Black 14x1.5 Wheel Lock Kit
LINK: Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71643NBC Black 14mm x 1.5 Wheel Lock, (Pack of 20): Automotive

Some interesting things to note:
Front wheels are same width & offset as stock 22s so the fitment will be identical
Rear wheels are same offset, 0.5" wider, so you'll have 0.25" inside/outside added aggressiveness
See prior post for tire sizes (265/40 and 275/40) -- the fronts are same width, rears are 10mm less

Overall the lower rear width will reduce rear grip slightly, but doubtful that will make ANY noticeable difference. As a matter of fact, the load rating and tread wear on these new 21" tires is higher in both cases. They are LRR which should help, too (low rolling resistance). I suspect no change in ride quality in any perceivable fashion, but will definitely report back in the weeks to come.

Only item that I did not order online are the tire pressure monitors (TPMS) as those are a stock item at the local Tesla store for the same price (or cheaper) than most online outfits. Tires should arrive today, hub centric rings and locks later this week-- wheels, with any luck, sometime next week. If all goes to plan the wheels/tires/TPMS will get mounted/installed by the end of next week, with photos forthcoming there-after!

If anyone has any other questions let me know. I'm excited to see how these drive. I don't know how easily I'll be able to collect wh/mi data that I can argue is directly comparable versus just "similar" conditions--- but given my current 405 wh/mi average on 22s for the past 1,400 miles -- I really hope to see that drop to 380'ish (fingers crossed) ... more data as it unfolds! :)

Awesome! Thanks so much...I just might have to copy your setup!

got any pics yet?

Going to get some proper photos this weekend. But I snapped a few today in my garage-- it got dark out quick because of a storm system passing through. Just picked the car up with the new wheels on after work, so no real chance to get good photos. For now, here are some teasers to whet your whistle ....

PS: Over the first 1,500 miles with my MX 75D my avg wh/mi was 405 .... let's hope that improves with this new wheel/tire setup. I'll be posting a full review/blog post in a day or two with better photos :)

IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg

I am the guy with the stealth wrapped p100dl with 21" wheels. I havre about 2000 miles on them and couldn't be happier. I didn't like the look of the 20's and didn't like the harsh ride of the 22's and the range hit. So 21" was a perfect compromise for me. The ride is amazing, and at only $550 or so per wheel (and 26lbs) I couldn't go wrong. Also, I wanted a low rolling resistance tire and the one that consumer reports rated really well for rolling resistance is the Pirelli scorpion verde, which has the exact sizes needed for the 21". My local tesla store loves them and the only time I've heard that Tesla didn't like the 21" wheels on the X was from a vendor that didn't sell 21" wheels and only sold $1200 22" and 20's. So I'd take that with a large grain of salt. My wheels are MRR FS01 flow forged, and they look perfect. They also make 22's, but our PA roads wouldn't get along with those wheels. Tony C