Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on Auto Train

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

byunnie

Aug 5, 2018
Fl
Hello,

Has anyone ever taken the Model X on the Auto Train? Amtrack website specifies "no gull wing doors" but I suspect that since the Driver's door on the X is a regular door, it should be ok?

I have read the other tread that was shared though no one had taken the train in a Model X. Is there anyone with experience with the train and a model X. We are heading to RI from FL this summer and looking at the auto train as an option to shorten the trip north.

I have made the trip in my MX at least 6 times since 2018. Issues to watch for:
1) Turn off PIN on Drive if you use that.
2) if you have a newer MX (or any Tesla using your phone as a key) turn off lock on walk-away.
3) turn off sentry mode unless you want to use some battery power. On one trip I almost filled up the thumb drive as the car was bouncing up and down so the headlights were flashing.
4) there is a supercharger in Altamonte Springs about 15miles south (off I4) from Sanford auto train station

I have walk away lock with my key fob, and that is not a problem, but in April when going to FL they said they were having the issue with newer Teslas that use a phone for a key.

Book early! prices are best when booked early and shop a day or two before and after for best prices. In April we still had to wear masks while outside of our room and they were still serving meals in the cabin.

Sorry, see you are going North. So the closest SC is 6 miles north of Lorton off I-95 in a mall parking lot.

Last edited:
I have made the trip in my MX at least 6 times since 2018. Issues to watch for:
1) Turn off PIN on Drive if you use that.
2) if you have a newer MX (or any Tesla using your phone as a key) turn off lock on walk-away.
3) turn off sentry mode unless you want to use some battery power. On one trip I almost filled up the thumb drive as the car was bouncing up and down so the headlights were flashing.
4) there is a supercharger in Altamonte Springs about 15miles south (off I4) from Sanford auto train station

I have walk away lock with my key fob, and that is not a problem, but in April when going to FL they said they were having the issue with newer Teslas that use a phone for a key.

Book early! prices are best when booked early and shop a day or two before and after for best prices. In April we still had to wear masks while outside of our room and they were still serving meals in the cabin.

Sorry, see you are going North. So the closest SC is 6 miles north of Lorton off I-95 in a mall parking lot.
Les236, Greatly appreciate the info!

I will plan to bring one of the card keys with me to leave with them since we do use the phone.

I thought about charging in Altamonte Springs before we load on the train if we have extra time though I don't believe there is any reason for us to do so.
I am about 100 miles from the Sanford Terminal, I plan to leave with a full charge so I am expecting to have at least 200 miles when we unload in VA. Since the 2022 MX gets 350 on a full charge leaving a 50 mile buffer. The family really enjoyed the Lewes, DE ferry and probably will stay a few nights in Cape May. I see about 5 superchargers on the way to Lewes, DE (138 miles away) with one right near the terminal that we can charge at while we wait for the ferry.

The pricing is all very similar for a day before or after. At this point the issue we are having is with a family of 4 the family rooms with 4 beds are sold out and they want to put us in 2 seperate standard bedrooms. My children are small and I believe we can all fit in a single room. Not sure what your experience is with the room though interested to hear.

Even with the card key, if you don't turn off the walk away lock it may lock when the phone walks away.

Myself, wife and two daughters had a the small bedroom when the girls were smaller. The upper bunk isn't too big but it was good for the 4 of us, but I don't believe they will let you book it for 4 any more. So if you get two standard bedrooms, they will open the door between them, so you get a nice large room with two bathrooms. Or you could go with one room and one roomette which can be very near each other and you could all stay in the standard room and you could go to the roomette at bedtime.

I wish they would update the auto-train. The rest of Amtrak has, and their roomettes and standard rooms are a lot nicer.

I have made many long trips in the MX and it is nice to travel, and using the auto-train takes some wear and tear off it and almost lets you get some sleep. :) I take earplugs, but haven't needed them the last two times. Food is good, but not as good as it was 10-15 years ago. Enjoy your trip!
20200817_184600.jpg
20200817_192255.jpg

The pricing is all very similar for a day before or after. At this point the issue we are having is with a family of 4 the family rooms with 4 beds are sold out and they want to put us in 2 seperate standard bedrooms. My children are small and I believe we can all fit in a single room. Not sure what your experience is with the room though interested to hear.

So if you get two standard bedrooms, they will open the door between them, so you get a nice large room with two bathrooms.

I second this. The two standard bedrooms with the partition open between them is bigger than the family bedroom and you get the two bathrooms. It makes for a nice trip. I love the Auto Train and have traveled on it many times in the past. I wish they didn't do the budget cuts they did with the amenities but it's still an enjoyable ride and the food is still really good.