TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X on Top Gear

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Spenny818, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Spenny818

Spenny818 Member

Hi All!

While I don't agree with a lot of their views on Top Gear (particularly surrounding EVs), I still find the show entertaining and have been watching the new season since they ousted Clarkson. An interesting note - at the end of this weeks episode they stated they will be reviewing the Model X on next weeks show!

I am quite excited to see how their views have changed since reviewing the Roadster in 2008. Tesla as a company has obviously changed immensely since then, and their presence - particularly in Europe - has exploded. It will be incredibly hard for them to argue that a 7 seater SUV able to go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (I'm assuming they will test a P90DL), with >250 miles per charge and free Supercharging across the continent is not going to fit the lifestyle of 99% of the population. The only quibble I can see them having is the price, however Top Gear is not known for testing cheap cars ;-)

What are your thoughts / expectations?

2. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Knew this was in the works...

Model X on new Top Gear UK?

Top Gear just isn't the same show without Clarkson, Hammond, and May though. Not even close.

The new show will likely be much more EV friendly me thinks. :p;)

• Informative x 1
  3. indy360

indy360 Member

I'm sure they'll make fun of the doors somehow, which is too bad because I really like the doors.

• Like x 1
  4. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I actually refused to watch Top Gear after I learned about their shenanigans with driving a Tesla around in circles for a few hours to deplete the battery in time for filming. I'm not interested in reality-tv type drama and I felt that they provided more entertainment than information, which isn't the reason I would watch a car show.

• Like x 1
  5. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

I always liked Jeremy Clarkson's idiosyncrasies. I will miss the show without him.

By the way, I remember they say that this is an entertainment show not a documentary. :)

Onur

6. zag2me

zag2me Member

Its not the same without clarkson, but I will tune in this week to check out their review. I'm surprised Tesla even let them have a demo model considering the history.

7. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I feel that it's irresponsible to be spreading EV fud in a time of climate change, even if it has entertainment value.

• Like x 7
  8. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I like Matt LeBlanc better than Chris Evans

• Like x 2
  9. Sarcarean

Sarcarean Member

Well I guess they punted. Just finished Ep3 and no Model X. And at the end, they said it would be on "next weeks show". Fool me once...

• Like x 2
  10. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

Chris is very annoying, there has been a lot of criticism about him. He won't last long my guess.

• Dislike x 1
  11. Pug Nuts

Pug Nuts Member

Did this episode air? I can't find it online.

12. loganintx

loganintx Member

13. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

It's going to be on tomorrow (June 19) and Rory Reid will be doing the Model X test in New York.

Here's the link....

• Like x 1
  14. Pug Nuts

Pug Nuts Member

Great, thank you! Will watch it tonight when it airs.

15. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Review from New York

Attached Files:

16. Spenny818

Spenny818 Member

Just watched - Very positive review! They even said that the falcon wing doors are not just a gimmick, they're practical in everyday use. I also loved them recreating the Hellcat drag race :cool:. For those looking to watch, it is S23E04.

17. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

It was about as positive as it could be. I was most impressed that they avoided the commonplace range anxiety argument. Well done.

They could have mentioned the the 32 Superchargers already located in the UK though.

18. Austin

Austin Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm starting to watch it now. The filmography on Top Gear is always great, so I look forward to see what they do with the X.

19. Austin

Austin Member

I just finished watching it. I was hoping they would do more with it on the show, but still, it was a completely positive review. I found the statement about Autopilot being twice as safe as the average driver. I found more on this statement here:

Elon Musk: Tesla's Autopilot is twice as safe as humans

I do look forward to the day when Autopilot is in most vehicles, and people choose to use this when they can. It should dramatically reduce the amount of aggressive driving and road-rage incidents.