Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X on Top Gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

While I don't agree with a lot of their views on Top Gear (particularly surrounding EVs), I still find the show entertaining and have been watching the new season since they ousted Clarkson. An interesting note - at the end of this weeks episode they stated they will be reviewing the Model X on next weeks show!

I am quite excited to see how their views have changed since reviewing the Roadster in 2008. Tesla as a company has obviously changed immensely since then, and their presence - particularly in Europe - has exploded. It will be incredibly hard for them to argue that a 7 seater SUV able to go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (I'm assuming they will test a P90DL), with >250 miles per charge and free Supercharging across the continent is not going to fit the lifestyle of 99% of the population. The only quibble I can see them having is the price, however Top Gear is not known for testing cheap cars ;-)

What are your thoughts / expectations?

I actually refused to watch Top Gear after I learned about their shenanigans with driving a Tesla around in circles for a few hours to deplete the battery in time for filming. I'm not interested in reality-tv type drama and I felt that they provided more entertainment than information, which isn't the reason I would watch a car show.

Reactions: Jon
Knew this was in the works...

Model X on new Top Gear UK?

Top Gear just isn't the same show without Clarkson, Hammond, and May though. Not even close.

The new show will likely be much more EV friendly me thinks. :p;)

I always liked Jeremy Clarkson's idiosyncrasies. I will miss the show without him.

By the way, I remember they say that this is an entertainment show not a documentary. :)

Onur

Review from New York

Attachments

• Top Gear 2016.JPG
    Top Gear 2016.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 91
Just watched - Very positive review! They even said that the falcon wing doors are not just a gimmick, they're practical in everyday use. I also loved them recreating the Hellcat drag race :cool:. For those looking to watch, it is S23E04.

It was about as positive as it could be. I was most impressed that they avoided the commonplace range anxiety argument. Well done.

They could have mentioned the the 32 Superchargers already located in the UK though.

I just finished watching it. I was hoping they would do more with it on the show, but still, it was a completely positive review. I found the statement about Autopilot being twice as safe as the average driver. I found more on this statement here:

Elon Musk: Tesla's Autopilot is twice as safe as humans

I do look forward to the day when Autopilot is in most vehicles, and people choose to use this when they can. It should dramatically reduce the amount of aggressive driving and road-rage incidents.