Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (only) - FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I received 2021.36.5.3 on my March 2018 MCU2 Model X. FSD Beta 10.3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a medical procedure today that left me unable to drive.
I will be able to drive tomorrow.
I have customized the FSD to Chill...

Questions: Does TACC act "normally" now???
Does Auto-Steer work "normally" now???

To activate an FSD trip: Set Navigate to a destination, start driving,
activate what used to be "Navigate on Autopilot"
which is now FSD Beta. (?)

Are there instructions ???

Thank You,

Shawn

not sure this is a bit, but when on FSD Beta expanded view, the little car avatar doesn’t turn red when you put your turn signal and there’s a car in the blind spot…the wife really relies on that, she says, so she has FSD Beta view turned off…is this normal?

Hi All,

I received 2021.36.5.3 on my March 2018 MCU2 Model X. FSD Beta 10.3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have customized the FSD to Chill...

Thank You,

Shawn
My friend, if you are unable to drive, DO NOT USE FSD BETA. It is not ready for what you need. You need to be able to drive to use it, because you will have to intervene, and probably often. Again, don’t rely of FSD Beta to drive for you, it is far from ready and you WILL crash. Hope your medical recovery is fast and painless. Stay safe.

Hi @gaspi101 ,

Thank you for your quick reply!
I live in a rural area of Michigan population 1200.

The first thing I need to determine is if using TACC and AutoSteer
work "normally" if a destination has not been entered - not navigating.
It will be easy to test tomorrow, I'm just looking for a heads up...

Thanks again,

Shawn

PS - Thanks for the tip on the view and the blind spot.

Reactions: gaspi101
My friend, if you are unable to drive, DO NOT USE FSD BETA. It is not ready for what you need. You need to be able to drive to use it, because you will have to intervene, and probably often. Again, don’t rely of FSD Beta to drive for you, it is far from ready and you WILL crash. Hope your medical recovery is fast and painless. Stay safe.
seriously. this is why we can't have nice things

Hi @gaspi101 ,

Thanks again,

Shawn

Shawn, no functionality is not being changed, just adding Beta. You can always use normal TACC and Autosteer. However, I feel I must again impress upon you the importance of being in full control of your car. Driving with FSD Beta is a lot harder for the driver at the moment than driving without autopilot at all. You must be overly attentive and be able to arrest control from the autopilot at any moment. It might veer off onto oncoming traffic for no reason—or hit a curb, or another vehicle or person. if you feel like you are somehow impaired for normal driving, please, dont use FSD Beta.

Reactions: jcoop
Ha! No.

For normal TACC and Autopilot, just turn off FSDBeta in the Autopilot menu. Yes, when FSDBeta is turned on in the menu, it is activated in the same way as AP with a double click. If a destination has been set in navigation, it will start to go there. Without a destination set, it will also drive, but I’m not sure where it will go. My brief experimentation with toggling NOA on and off did not result in any differences; without NOA toggled to blue, the car still makes lane changes and I presume it will make turns too.

A few things that have taken me off-guard:
  • It is awful with its use of turn signals. It sometimes signals the wrong direction, it sometimes doesn’t signal at all.
  • There is little indication that it is about to take an action. It likes to change lanes a lot (like, I could be 5 ft ahead in that other lane of traffic, let’s do it). I have experienced a number of times when it thinks it should go aground the other cars in front of you at a stop sign or stop light. It will try to cross even a double line or go into a totally inappropriate lane.
  • When I take over steering and FSDBeta kicks off, TACC stays on. I guess this is consistent with how it has always worked on the highway, but this is most likely to happen while it is in the middle of a turn, and it continuing to accelerate can be troublesome. I am training myself to immediately tap the brake to disengage all in these situations.

Ha! No.

For normal TACC and Autopilot, just turn off FSDBeta in the Autopilot menu. Yes, when FSDBeta is turned on in the menu, it is activated in the same way as AP with a double click. If a destination has been set in navigation, it will start to go there. Without a destination set, it will also drive, but I’m not sure where it will go. My brief experimentation with toggling NOA on and off did not result in any differences; without NOA toggled to blue, the car still makes lane changes and I presume it will make turns too.

A few things that have taken me off-guard:
  • It is awful with its use of turn signals. It sometimes signals the wrong direction, it sometimes doesn’t signal at all.
  • There is little indication that it is about to take an action. It likes to change lanes a lot (like, I could be 5 ft ahead in that other lane of traffic, let’s do it). I have experienced a number of times when it thinks it should go aground the other cars in front of you at a stop sign or stop light. It will try to cross even a double line or go into a totally inappropriate lane.
  • When I take over steering and FSDBeta kicks off, TACC stays on. I guess this is consistent with how it has always worked on the highway, but this is most likely to happen while it is in the middle of a turn, and it continuing to accelerate can be troublesome. I am training myself to immediately tap the brake to disengage all in these situations.
Excellent observations. Same here.I’ve all but hit the curb on roundabouts because I take over the wheel but there’s still acceleration. I think all AP should be killed when you arrest the wheel from FSD Beta

seriously. this is why we can't have nice things
To my eyes, the post you were replying to expressed concern and advice while your post expresses judgement that likely isn't relevant in this particular situation. The original comment was:
In the US, where I would assume you are from (even though there are many "Bay Areas" in the US and other countries), that generally means that an outpatient procedure occurred and the hospital or surgery center has said the patient from the procedure should not drive for the rest of the day in order to protect themselves from any liability over delayed complications with general anesthesia. The next line following that one in the same comment was:
This supports the aforementioned general meaning (and suggests the poster has no intention of driving while he "can't"). While the poster in question certainly shouldn't drive "tomorrow" if still feeling affects of general anesthesia, they arguably could safely use FSD "today" if they aren't affected by the general anesthesia, and that might well be less risky than other FSD testers using it after having a single alcoholic beverage with a long restaurant meal.

ETA: To be clear, my comments above represent a technical discussion on driving and cognitive/physical abilities, not a legal or ethical discussion on any medical advice or waiver presented by any hospital or surgery center.

Last edited:
Hi @gaspi101 ,

Thanks again,

Shawn

Yes, they do without a destination.

What I say here isn’t going to amount to anything in the Tesla world as far as speeding up this process, it’s just a vent. But for those of us who have pre-July 2017 vehicles and paid big money for FSD (thinking our vehicles had all of the correct hardware to run it), priority should be taken to resolve this issue VERY SOON. If I had known AP2 wouldn’t run FSD when I was searching for a used X last year, I would’ve opted for a later build. I’d feel better with OEM cameras driving my car, than a retrofit. And it kinda bugs me that the engineers hadn’t figured this camera thing out when they were doing the AP3 upgrades. Rant over.

What I say here isn’t going to amount to anything in the Tesla world as far as speeding up this process, it’s just a vent. But for those of us who have pre-July 2017 vehicles and paid big money for FSD (thinking our vehicles had all of the correct hardware to run it), priority should be taken to resolve this issue VERY SOON. If I had known AP2 wouldn’t run FSD when I was searching for a used X last year, I would’ve opted for a later build. I’d feel better with OEM cameras driving my car, than a retrofit. And it kinda bugs me that the engineers hadn’t figured this camera thing out when they were doing the AP3 upgrades. Rant over.
PREACH!!!

I'm devastated by us early adopters with HW2 to only NOW learn of camera update needed, for FSD BETA. I've been making myself & my wife crazy since September 25, obsessed by my safety score...which is 99 after 820 miles driven.

Yesterday was my 72nd birthday and was hoping to get a FSD BETA 10.3 " Birthday Present ".

It will be 5 years since I paid $8000 for EAP/FSD for my 2016 MX.

As a long time fan and supporter of Tesla, who has patiently waited for FSD and most recently FSD BETA, I feel disrespected and marginalized just learning about the HW2 CAMERA situation. Why weren’t we advised of this when we got the FSD BETA SAFETY SCORE BUTTON and were required to CONSENT to have our driving monitored?

I would like to hear other of your thoughts on this new revelation.
I read in this forum that Tesla will upgrade (for fee) the camera to support FSD for folks who have already paid for FSD earlier. It may be best to check this with the nearest Tesla Service center.

Well, I could not figure out after I got 10.3 beta how to activate it! I triggered the FSD stalk multiple times and got the message that TACC was not available, that Autosteer was not available. I wrote to the FSD Beta team but have not heard anything. It seemed that my navigate on autopilot on the Freeway was dead. Then scrolling through the control panel, I found additional switches to toggle:

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpeg
    IMG_7216.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
Continued:

Then, I noticed that the early collision warning was going off for any car in front of me, even barely within the range of the Tesla radar or cameras.. . I change it to medium and then late but I kept getting alarms inappropriately, so I finally had to turn it off so that I could actually drive.

I reported this to the Tesla FSD Beta team and eventually got 10.3.3 which seems to settle it down.... but I have still kept it off.

However it seems that 10.3 has absolutely killed my full self driving or auto steer completely. When on I get a graphic display of the street and traffic, but it flickers on and off, very distracting and the auto steer button flickers on and off and my whole front drivers side display flickers on and off, making it hard to drive. Any every hour I get an alert, Software Update Required, needs APS_m160 and alarms continuously and then goes away. There is no way to turn on FSD, it alerts that "auto steer and cruise control not available."

The Autosteer will not work on freeway or surface streets, FSD has completely been disabled, and I am left with a "dumb" car. I have emailed the Tesla FSD team and uploaded reports and videos 5 times the past two weeks but no response. I have had to turn off FSD completely. I have texted the service team but no response and I will try to call the Tesla service phone today. I might have to either have the software reloaded or have the software wiped and downgraded again.

Be careful if you are asking for 10.3 Beta, it might now work on your car.

MX 100D July 2018

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 55
Maybe I'm on the minority...but isn't the point of FSD so the car itself. Not for the driver to stare at a screen. Maybe try looking outside of the window? 🤣
Its actually the long term point, but FSD at this point now with the map data being so far off you really need to know what the car thinks is the speed limit. The most common input to least common from my experience so far (if all input is error) is speed adjustments, then driving policy errors and then perception errors. You can always look at the set speed which it basis it's offset from but I do agree it would be nice to have the ability to easily see what the car sees as the correct speed.

Continued:

Then, I noticed that the early collision warning was going off for any car in front of me, even barely within the range of the Tesla radar or cameras.. . I change it to medium and then late but I kept getting alarms inappropriately, so I finally had to turn it off so that I could actually drive.

I reported this to the Tesla FSD Beta team and eventually got 10.3.3 which seems to settle it down.... but I have still kept it off.

However it seems that 10.3 has absolutely killed my full self driving or auto steer completely. When on I get a graphic display of the street and traffic, but it flickers on and off, very distracting and the auto steer button flickers on and off and my whole front drivers side display flickers on and off, making it hard to drive. Any every hour I get an alert, Software Update Required, needs APS_m160 and alarms continuously and then goes away. There is no way to turn on FSD, it alerts that "auto steer and cruise control not available."

The Autosteer will not work on freeway or surface streets, FSD has completely been disabled, and I am left with a "dumb" car. I have emailed the Tesla FSD team and uploaded reports and videos 5 times the past two weeks but no response. I have had to turn off FSD completely. I have texted the service team but no response and I will try to call the Tesla service phone today. I might have to either have the software reloaded or have the software wiped and downgraded again.

Be careful if you are asking for 10.3 Beta, it might now work on your car.

MX 100D July 2018
I had the same experience. It was actually a very widely reported issue, and the reason why they pulled the update and sent everyone off FSD beta for a while and came the next day with a revision. The revision fixes all the front collision warnings. Elon had a tweet about it.

Hi @mbp11 ,

I am sure you know the 10.3 Beta release over the weekend was problematic...
The symptoms were what you are describing...

The current release for me is 2021.36.5.3 which is FSD Beta 10.3.1

I finally got to drive mine today.
The displays are a bit twitchy...
TACC works well.
Autosteer works better than before... It does not seek the middle
in balloon shaped turn lanes.
Combined into FSD to NOA it does a fair job of tracking a route.

Good luck,

Shawn

Last edited: