Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (only) - FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I say here isn’t going to amount to anything in the Tesla world as far as speeding up this process, it’s just a vent. But for those of us who have pre-July 2017 vehicles and paid big money for FSD (thinking our vehicles had all of the correct hardware to run it), priority should be taken to resolve this issue VERY SOON. If I had known AP2 wouldn’t run FSD when I was searching for a used X last year, I would’ve opted for a later build. I’d feel better with OEM cameras driving my car, than a retrofit. And it kinda bugs me that the engineers hadn’t figured this camera thing out when they were doing the AP3 upgrades. Rant over.
Totally agree. Also bought a early 2017 build thinking I was buying FSD. I'm sure Tesla will make it right eventually but they need to prioritize this situation.

Reactions: scottf200
In the same boat here.

Never got lucky with buying Tesla car :(

First bought modelS. 2 months later, they announced AP2. Sold Model S in Dec 2016. Booked 90D modelX. In the middle of waiting for modelX, they announced 100D. But they said FUSC is only if I keep the 90D. so I kept 90D. But later they gave FUSC to 100D owners. Later on Tesla announced Intel computer upgrade for $2500. So went for it. Later they reduced the price to $1500.

I have done all this...just one goal.
To try the FSD some day.
After some initial mistakes, I have been driving carefully for the past one month.
I got it back to 99 now!
Now they say, the camera upgrade is needed.

Elon..I'm tired man. See you on Mars.

You 99er’s and 100er’s must have some serious patient driving skills. This really hard to increase my average out of 89-90.
You could always try the trick about un-enrolling out of the FSD Beta, wait about 24 hours, then re-enroll in your car, and all your previous scores are deleted and you start with a 100.

Double check by watching the YouTube videos about this but looks like it works.

Also, If you have a bad drive like someone pulling out in front of you or having to slam on the brakes, I've seen YouTube's about before ending your drive do a hard reset and it eliminates that one bad drive.

If the unenrolling option works, drive like a grandma, get your hundred miles with a score of 100 and supposedly you get the email telling you your beta is available. Check out YouTube.

Personally I have a 98 and too scared to try this and eliminate all my good scores so I will just patiently wait until the 98'ers can get FSD Beta, which may or may not happen depending on how things go over the next few weeks.

You could always try the trick about un-enrolling out of the FSD Beta, wait about 24 hours, then re-enroll in your car, and all your previous scores are deleted and you start with a 100.

Also, If you have a bad drive like someone pulling out in front of you or having to slam on the brakes, I've seen YouTube's about before ending your drive do a hard reset and it eliminates that one bad drive.

If the unenrolling option works, drive like a grandma, get your hundred miles with a score of 100 and supposedly you get the email telling you your beta is available. Check out YouTube.

Personally I have a 98 and too scared to try this and eliminate all my good scores so I will just patiently wait until the 98'ers can get FSD Beta, which may or may not happen depending on how things go over the next few weeks.

I had a month's worth of driving, and over 3,000 miles, just disappear *pffft* last week. I was running a 98. So I started over on Monday, being super careful. Solid 100 for four days. Then a damn following too closely, which knocked me down to a 99.. Crap! But I got the package today. Go figure

Last edited:

Im holding at 88/89. I may try this. I got nothing to loose at this point.

I may do this if I can pull off a good road trip for 100 miles where it’s on standard FSD.

I’m confused by this article that targets MCU1 as the problem for why some early adopters still can’t get FSDBeta. I thought the issue was HW2.0 needing new cameras, not MCU1.

I have FSDBeta and have:
AP2.5 (upgraded to HW3), MCU1 to MCU2
and we certainly know there is no issue with cars originally MCU2 and beyond.

Have any of the following got it:
AP2.5 (upgraded to HW3), MCU1
Or
AP2.0 (upgraded to HW3), MCU1 to MCU2
Or
AP2.0 (upgraded to HW3), MCU1

Is there actually more than one issue keeping different groups of cars getting it for different hardware reasons?

Hi @Bigriver ,

I don't think we really know...

There are two parts to your question: Cameras and MCU

Elon has already stated that AP 2.0 cameras will require upgrade for FSD.
What has not been said and reading between the lines - The difference
between AP 2.5 and AP 2.0 was not only different cameras, but also the
AP 2.5 cars had redundant harnesses to the cameras or to the FSD computer
or both... (or to the power steering system)
New cameras for AP 2.0 would not seem to create the redundant harnesses...

The real horsepower is in the FSD computer...

There are smarter minds than mine that may say MCU 1 will keep up with
the FSD computer and images for the dash cam... BUT at some point
realistically MCU1 does not have a bright future... It has not been made
for new production cars for nearly 4 years.

I would like to see the numbers of cars that have purchased FSD capability and
still are equipped with MCU1, and are still operating.
TeslaFi has only 93 cars registered with AP2.0
(Interestingly enough, they have over 600 registered with AP 1.0)
At the earliest, these cars are approaching 5 years of age.
Maybe they will meet a minimum standard of working with FSD but I think it will not be pretty.

Perhaps a "Free Upgrade" referral to FSD on your next car would be a solution...

In the meantime, we wait and learn...

Shawn

I’m confused by this article that targets MCU1 as the problem for why some early adopters still can’t get FSDBeta. I thought the issue was HW2.0 needing new cameras, not MCU1.

I have FSDBeta and have:

Or
Or

Is there actually more than one issue keeping different groups of cars getting it for different hardware reasons?
Brother the answer is simple: Teslarati often has no idea what they’re talking about and they just post inflammatory articles for the clicks. Sometimes they have an interesting post, but more often than not, they don’t.

Reactions: MobileClimate

I have FSDBeta and have:

Or
Or

I fall into your Category 2: AP2 (upgraded to HW3; MCU1 to MCU2). I have a 99 Safety Score but have not been one of the chosen few.

Continued:

Then, I noticed that the early collision warning was going off for any car in front of me, even barely within the range of the Tesla radar or cameras.. . I change it to medium and then late but I kept getting alarms inappropriately, so I finally had to turn it off so that I could actually drive.

I reported this to the Tesla FSD Beta team and eventually got 10.3.3 which seems to settle it down.... but I have still kept it off.

However it seems that 10.3 has absolutely killed my full self driving or auto steer completely. When on I get a graphic display of the street and traffic, but it flickers on and off, very distracting and the auto steer button flickers on and off and my whole front drivers side display flickers on and off, making it hard to drive. Any every hour I get an alert, Software Update Required, needs APS_m160 and alarms continuously and then goes away. There is no way to turn on FSD, it alerts that "auto steer and cruise control not available."

The Autosteer will not work on freeway or surface streets, FSD has completely been disabled, and I am left with a "dumb" car. I have emailed the Tesla FSD team and uploaded reports and videos 5 times the past two weeks but no response. I have had to turn off FSD completely. I have texted the service team but no response and I will try to call the Tesla service phone today. I might have to either have the software reloaded or have the software wiped and downgraded again.

Be careful if you are asking for 10.3 Beta, it might now work on your car.

MX 100D July 2018
So, an update on the failed Beta 10.3 installation and the 10.3.1 update.
No response from the FSD beta issue reporting address, multiple emails.
I keep getting flashing drivers dash display, flashing street maps, auto steer and autodrive and cruise control are disabled, and recurrent notices of software upgrade required, make service appointment, software update APS_w160 needed. I called and worked with several Tesla service people over the phone and did scrollwheel reset, cycling power in car on and off, and even the gateway tire size reset, to no avail. Next they had me try resetting the cameras, which did not work.
I did a drive by of the service center and talked with the engineers there, they have no idea what is wrong but will probably need a software wipe and reinstall, so I have a service appointment on the 9th, and will have to leave the car there for a while.

Mike P

I have FSDBeta and have:

Or
Or

I do see one thing.
The car mentioned in the article with MCU1 still has 2020 SW.
I have AP2.0 with MCU2 upgrade. I did not get FSD beta even though I have solid 99 (may be because of camera upgrades).
But I do have 2021 SW.

For me, it's reasonable to assume that MCU1 vehicles would be excluded from this FSD beta because it relies heavily on the driver to determine that the vehicle sees compared to what the driver sees. Currently, the mechanism used to display what the vehicle sees is the enhanced visualizations. There's no reason to assume that once (if) the vehicle is capable of full autonomy that any visualizations will be required or even displayed by default. If for some reason the MCU2 upgrade ends up being required for FSD, I'm sure Tesla will upgrade anyone who hasn't already upgraded themselves for other reasons; but I have no expectations they will reimburse anyone who paid for it. I've already upgraded my side repeater cameras for improved side camera recording, I imagine I'll be out that $260 when they upgrade the rest of the cameras as well.

Reactions: scottf200

I have FSDBeta and have:

Or
Or

I fall into AP2.0 to HW3and MCU1 to MCU2 and just got it tonight. Safety Score 98. will drive it tomorrow and report back. So thrilled to finally get it.

The v10.2 is not FSD beta right?
I don't think I got the FSD beta.
The last night installed version says...
v10.2; 2021.36.5.5

Are v10.3 above are FSD beta?
The 10.3.1 for beta is not the same as the 10.2 in general software (and that has caused confusion for many). v10.2; 2021.36.5.5 is NOT beta even though it starts with 10.2.

The current beta release is 2021.36.5.3 and is known as FSD beta 10.3.1 (which replaced the buggy 10.3).

Reactions: Bigriver
Ok...thank you. That clarifies.
I know I didn't get the FSD beta..because the auto pilot menu doesn't show the FSD beta.
I filed a service ticket for camera retrofit.
That service guy still thinks only MCU1 is the bottleneck for receiving the FSD beta.

Seems like both MCU2 and camera retrofit needed for FSD beta.
So far...no ETA for camera retrofit.