Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X (only) - FSD beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am extremely happy to report that I got the Invitation for Camera Upgrade on Nov 9th and had the Service done at the Loveland CO Service Center Nov 12th. After a snafu with the Parts being delivered in time for my appt, Stephanie, Autumn & Toby (Service Advisors) were excellent in turning Lemon into Lemonade.

I asked to have them Push the FSD BETA 10.4 to me at the Service Center but was informed that they cannot Push that particular Software Update..

Now just waiting for the Early Adoptor Program at Tesla to Push BETA 10.4 to my Model X.

I am very pleased to say that Elon and Tesla "heard" our outcries of frustration and responded to us in a relatively short time, by FINALLY making good on the HW2 Camera Upgrade.

Dec 2016 MX , EAP/FSD, MCU1 to MCU2 and HW2 to AP3 SAFETY SCORE for both measuring Periods 99.

Hope you all get your Upgrades SOON.

Reactions: TechVP
Like I said AP2 and MCU1 upgraded as I wrote. Early 2017 MX. It is what they delivered at the time. Got my camera upgrades already (early adopter) and it is solid.
Ah, okay. They hadn't announced camera upgrade availability publicly yet, so wasn't sure. Did they end up replacing all the cameras or only the front facing? I'd already upgraded my repeater cameras for the improved color on the backup view, I assume they replaced the windshield cam as well?

Ah, okay. They hadn't announced camera upgrade availability publicly yet, so wasn't sure. Did they end up replacing all the cameras or only the front facing? I'd already upgraded my repeater cameras for the improved color on the backup view, I assume they replaced the windshield cam as well?
What I'm curious about is if they add a rear facing cabin cam? I would think the wiring harness is missing; but??. Our cars currently have anonymity to the cabin camera thing.... however will that be changed?
-TechVP

So... 10.5... is it my imagination, or is it much worse than 10.4? I went on a short drive to the store. Using the turn signal to change lanes was an after-thought. It would change lanes, and THEN use the turn signal... and keep the turn signal on. (Is my car stuck on grandpa mode? LOL)

Even worse -- on the way back, despite GPS being spot-on with directions... it completely missed my turn. On a 3-lane 55mph county highway, car was in the left-most lane. Need to make a left at the next traffic light. Instead of switching lanes into the left turn lane when it became available, it switches lanes to the right, into the middle through lane, and despite a green light, phantom brakes. No cars around me. I took control, and accelerated through the intersection (it was safer to just go through, rather than try and make it to the turn lane at this point)

OK -- so I make a u-turn about a mile down the road. Re-engage FSD. GPS is again showing the proper route. FSD decides to take the next right -- a full half-mile before my turn -- and into a dead-end neighborhood. I drove home myself at this point. (Good thing I love to drive this thing)

I heard rumors that 10.5 deployment was halted -- my guess is that my experience is why. So for those of you who might not have gotten 10.5 yet -- might be for the best to wait for 10.6.

(Note -- I am not complaining... just recounting my experience. I realize it is beta, and I maintained full awareness at all times, and took control when it became needed)

So... 10.5... is it my imagination, or is it much worse than 10.4? I went on a short drive to the store. Using the turn signal to change lanes was an after-thought. It would change lanes, and THEN use the turn signal... and keep the turn signal on. (Is my car stuck on grandpa mode? LOL)

Even worse -- on the way back, despite GPS being spot-on with directions... it completely missed my turn. On a 3-lane 55mph county highway, car was in the left-most lane. Need to make a left at the next traffic light. Instead of switching lanes into the left turn lane when it became available, it switches lanes to the right, into the middle through lane, and despite a green light, phantom brakes. No cars around me. I took control, and accelerated through the intersection (it was safer to just go through, rather than try and make it to the turn lane at this point)

OK -- so I make a u-turn about a mile down the road. Re-engage FSD. GPS is again showing the proper route. FSD decides to take the next right -- a full half-mile before my turn -- and into a dead-end neighborhood. I drove home myself at this point. (Good thing I love to drive this thing)

I heard rumors that 10.5 deployment was halted -- my guess is that my experience is why. So for those of you who might not have gotten 10.5 yet -- might be for the best to wait for 10.6.

(Note -- I am not complaining... just recounting my experience. I realize it is beta, and I maintained full awareness at all times, and took control when it became needed)
My experience is not as bad.... I just got 10.5 Monday night, but I am very cautious about using it. I have turned it on a few times in low traffic urban areas and found that when there is are two or more urban lanes, and I need to take the one on the right to go straight, rather than the left lane that turns left, the FSD beta will change into the wrong lane. I then have to disconnect it and turn back into the proper lane and I let the FSD Beta rest for a while... and allow my nerves to recover. I also hit the report button at the top of the screen to report the bad behavior.

It also tends to take off at the speed limit in the urban area when caution would take a slower pace. I can usually dial the speed down in certain areas where it should not be 40, but rather 35 or even 30. I can be better prepared to take over then.

The visualizations are a tad better, the driver's screen is not jumping around so much, it is almost steady. I like the ability to detect bikes and pedestrians... I have not run over anyone yet.

Castaway is pretty brave!

Mike P
July 2018 MX, 100D

and found that when there is are two or more urban lanes, and I need to take the one on the right to go straight, rather than the left lane that turns left, the FSD beta will change into the wrong lane.
When I tried 10.4, I found that it preferred the left lane in multi lane scenarios... Regardless if I was doing the speed limit, while everyone else was doing 5-10 above. I'd switch over to the rightmost lane... And not 30 seconds later, it would switch back to the left, even if there was faster traffic. And then phantom brake, half the time.

I really don't think I've given it complicated scenarios...

I have turned it on a few times in low traffic urban areas and found that when there is are two or more urban lanes, and I need to take the one on the right to go straight, rather than the left lane that turns left, the FSD beta will change into the wrong lane. I then have to disconnect it and turn back into the proper lane and I let the FSD Beta rest for a while... and allow my nerves to recover. I also hit the report button at the top of the screen to report the bad behavior.
In theory, if you know it is going to do this, you can potentially cancel the lane change by pulling the turn signal the other way (half-pull) to cancel the lane change and allow it to continue. In reality, this may also be hit or miss. For instance, there is a location where, IMO, I am on the surface highway I want to be on (and FSD beta is typically shown, but today NoAP was shown, so I think the maps treat this segment of the highway as part of an Interstate off-ramp) and an Interstate off-ramp is merging onto the highway I am driving on. FSD beta signals left here more often than not, and I typically cancel with the turn signal and go on my merry way. One day, I wanted it to change to the left lane because a vehicle was merging. It signaled, but then canceled the signal on its own, as if it was only signaling for its own merge (which wasn't happening). However, when I don't cancel the signal, sometimes it attempts to change lanes there even though there isn't a merging vehicle. As if that wasn't convoluted enough, this morning, when I tried to cancel the left signal, it treated my signal pull as a lane change request instead of a signal cancel request and proceeded to signal right and start to merge into the ending merge lane from the Interstate. I probably should hit the button more often than I do.

Reactions: ContrarianDC

I think it is somewhat better. I have much less phantom braking anyway. But it still makes lots of mistakes though, like choosing the wrong lane for a turn, etc.

The release notes say they added the speed limit to FSD expanded visualizations. There is even a graphic included in the release note, that shows the speed and control status, including speed limit, moved to bottom center of the IC. But the display in my X, is identical to version 10.4, lower right corner, no speed limit. Reported. I am on 2021.36.8.8.

Does anyone have 10.5 with the speed limit visible? (I know I can get it by turning off expanded visualizations)

I think it is somewhat better. I have much less phantom braking anyway. But it still makes lots of mistakes though, like choosing the wrong lane for a turn, etc.

The release notes say they added the speed limit to FSD expanded visualizations. There is even a graphic included in the release note, that shows the speed and control status, including speed limit, moved to bottom center of the IC. But the display in my X, is identical to version 10.4, lower right corner, no speed limit. Reported. I am on 2021.36.8.8.

Does anyone have 10.5 with the speed limit visible? (I know I can get it by turning off expanded visualizations)
I have 10.5 on my 2020 MXP and it does not display the speed limit. I imagine it's an easy fix and am puzzled as to why Tesla hasn't implemented it.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyF4 and T-Mom
I have 10.5 on my 2020 MXP and it does not display the speed limit. I imagine it's an easy fix and am puzzled as to why Tesla hasn't implemented it.
Particularly since the release note describes it, including a graphic. If I disable the expanded visualizations, it is displayed at the top, where the speedo normally lives. But that compromises the FSD visuals.

Here is my most recent failure. Driving to my girlfriends house and need to make a right turn, but there is a bike lane that occupies the right lane. FSD Beta 10.5 wants to turn right and starts to do so but suddenly realizes that it it going into a bike lane and abruptly turns left, then tries to turn right and then left. I was left with abrupt and violent oscillation for about 4 cycles before I could shut it off. Of course, I reported this to the engineers but don’t understand what the logic of the 10.5 software will decide.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.51.53 PM.tiff.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 5.51.53 PM.tiff.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 63
Here is my most recent failure. Driving to my girlfriends house and need to make a right turn, but there is a bike lane that occupies the right lane. FSD Beta 10.5 wants to turn right and starts to do so but suddenly realizes that it it going into a bike lane and abruptly turns left, then tries to turn right and then left. I was left with abrupt and violent oscillation for about 4 cycles before I could shut it off. Of course, I reported this to the engineers but don’t understand what the logic of the 10.5 software will decide.
Was there a car detected on your right? Perhaps AP was trying to avoid it

I have 2017 March delivery MX AP 2.0 MCU2 upgrade with solid 99 score.
Haven't received the camera upgrade invitation yet :(
Hope they did not forget about me :)
Anyone with 2017 MX received invitation?
Nope, no invite here. Same MX AP 2 config, March 2017 w/ MCU2 ... no camera invite despite a solid 100 score for > 1 month.
Tesla: Gimme some cameras, and I'll take a 2500 mile AP road trip to CES January 1! That will give you some data!
-TechVP

So... 10.6 is a mixed bag.

Pros: It does not stay in the left lane as much anymore. It allowed me to travel a few miles in the right lane!
Cons: It does not seem to know how to make a left turn, or follow GPS.

As you can see from the street view, the road where I was travelling is 3 lanes, with dedicated left and right turn lanes. 55 mph. I needed to make the left at the light. GPS had the proper routing.

While approaching the intersection, the X was in the middle lane. It continued traveling at 55mph as it approached the traffic light (red left turn, green straight through). Traffic was light, so I was able to safely let it continue to see what it was going to do. About 50 feet from the intersection (still in the middle lane), it decided to put on the left blinker, slow down, and switch lanes -- FAR too late to get into the left turn lane, not just because it was too late, but there were several cars already stopped. It then attempted to stop in the through lane. I had to take over.

It reminds me of when I was a kid (pre-GPS), and my parents would be driving.
Navigator: Take this turn!
Driver: Which one?
Navigator: The one you just passed.

Attachments

• Approaching Traffic Light.png
    Approaching Traffic Light.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Funny
Reactions: scottf200